What does it mean when you can't bias a tube?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4219
One tube out the 8 EL84's I got today that I can't bias above 200mv (the recommended bias in 250 for Stingray). I've moved the tube to other sockets, and it's always the same. If I turn the trim all the way to max, it'll only bias at 200 mv max. Does this mean there's something wrong with the tube?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15355
I would hazard a 'yes'.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4220
Me too.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3968
I've never biased a tube, but if that's the only one that won't bias (in any spot) and the rest will, I think its safe to say its the tube.

Do other tubes bias in that spot?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4221
Yup, they all bias exactly where they should be.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3969
Its kind of like changing your spark plugs, and one cylinder won't fire. You change where the cylinder where that spark plug is, and that cylinder doesn't fire.

I'd be willing to bet it's the spark plug, but that's just me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4222
If you move it around, and the problem follows where you move it to, odds are its the tube (or sparkplug). I've already contacted The Tube Store to get a replacement.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4226
The tube shop expressed me out a replacement tube the next day at no cost. Can't say enough good things about these guys.

http://thetubestore.com/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4250
Man, my troubles never end. Over the last week I've noticed intermittent distortion in the left channel of my Stingray. I swapped around all the tubes, switched the speakers and even changed speaker cables. The problem is always in the left channel. Spoke to a repair guy here in Ottawa that was recommended on CAM, so the amp is going to him for a look. Hopefully it doesn't cost me too much fix. I guess the good news is they repair says tube amps are "easy to repair".

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1579
Please post back when the verdict is in.
I'm curious to know if the bias adj prob and the distortion are related.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4263
The amp is at the repair shop as of yesterday. The tech hasn't had a chance to take a look at it yet. Looks like I'll be without it for the weekend... bummer.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1184
Oh, that's crap Dave, sorry to hear about the troubles. You'll get 'er back - just hope it's a cheap fix. Hopefully, he'll give it a bit of a tune up at the same time, turn here, squeeze there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us