What would a tube amp (miniwatt) do for my tektons?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1538
basically I can't imagine them sounding any better than what they already do on my marantz kit. They have a wonderful rich and warm midrange.

I just dont want them to start sounding fat and slow. If I do go the tube route, I will probably look into the miniwatt as my first step as they supposedly are not as much work (and are less expensive / get you most of the performance)

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1013
I have an el84 amp that you could borrow Gav to find out. Definitely wouldn't sound fat or slow......which doesn't apply to many modern tube designs anyway. If you're interested PM me.

The Miniwatt is certainly well written up, but I haven't personally heard one. The price is certainly reasonable.

But if you can't imagine them sounding better, what's the problem ?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1539
no problems at all.

Just wondering what would happen seeming I have no hands-on experience with tube gear.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3936
There's no tube amp dealers left in Albany, is there?

Last I knew, Hippo's was the last hifi shop left. I was in there a few weeks ago. Never saw any tubes in there though, except maybe a Mac tube integrated.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4175
What's the budget for the new tube amp Gavin?

There's some amps out there are self-biasing so you don't have to mess around with meters, and you can try out lots of different tubes on them. PrimaLuna comes to mind.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1540
Hippos is still there Stu! That is where I bought my current kit (sans the Tektons). Great place!

Last time I was in there, no tubes and hardly any gear to audition. I was sad FOR them. I hope it isn't a sign that they are winding down. They are one of the greats.

Clark was another, and we know what happened there (although the one in 'Cuse yissed me off more than once). I went in that one while I was still in college to aud the MG12 and was treated really poorly. I went back and let it known that I would have a convo with the music dept. chair at SUNY Oswego (who was about to put in a purchase for Steinway Concert Grands) and be sure to let him know this was how they treat the customers.

Needless to say... this treatment ended rapidly. Even though my major was not music, I did know who it was.

And I haven't even started looking yet... LOL! I was just wondering about it. I haven't heard tubes since I was a kid on my uncle's console radio, and I remember how unworldly warm and rich it sounded.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1541
I don't have a budget David... this is something that I am researching to see if I really want to do it. I am very happy with the sound I now have.

I know I am going to have to try it and see for myself, but I need to reason this out before my wife kicks my asp for buying something else.

Yes she is an audiophile, but when we just booked another cruise next year on HER credit card... We may go on 2 next year... we haven't decided yet. Hence why I know where her foot will go.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4179
Lots of relatively inexpensive tube amps for sale second-hand on Agon Gavin. In my personal experience I would stay away from the Chinese amps, not because they don't sound (l loved the sound of my Jolida 502) but because of reliability and quality control issues.

I just recently purchased an Manley Stingray after many hours of research and suggestions from guys on here. Made in the USA :-) Another brand that was on my short list was Cary.

The problem with tube amps, though, is that if you're obsessive compulsive like me, the compulsion to always be swapping out tubes can become irresitable. On the other hand, it is kinda fun.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1542
hahahaha... yeah!

I do have to admit that I wish I kept my Pio Elite A-35r

I bet it would be a fun little amp with the Tektons. I loved that thing. It was a great amp for the price. just didn't pair well with my kef.

I still recommend it to people who want an inexpensive amp for efficient speakers. It is probably made with the same components as Pioneer receivers, but it doesn't have all the junk in the signal path.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/E liteAmplifiers/ci.A-35R.Kuro

Especially that it is only $200.... competes with receivers and sounds much better IMHO.

I know it wouldn't sound as good as my current integrated, but it would still be fun to try.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4180
That would be a cool little integrated for a second system for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us