Amplifier or preamplifier?

Username: Raulakh

Post Number: 1
I am setting up my Hometheatre. I bought paradigm reference studio 100 main speakers, with pioneer sc-27, Do I need a amplifier or pre-amp , if yes what kind as I dont know anything?
Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15304
The cs-27 in an AV receiver, with 7 amplified channels.
You need no other switching or amplification, only a source(s)and speakers connected.

Post Number: 2
I am using paradigm reference studio speakers. I have a ultracube 12 subwoofer. Should I buy another Supercube 12 which is only 1000 dollars or go for a sub 15 which is 3000.
Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15314
Go for the 2nd sub same as the first, by a mile.
The extra bass will be easier to place properly in the room, plus the extra low power will make life easier on the mains.
What speaker set did you buy man??
And you picked a good AVR, I think, should be fun!

Post Number: 3
I have paradigm reference studio as main, and mythos st as surround. Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15319
Are they 60's or 100's as mains?
Some idea of the size might help.
I am unfamiliar with the mythos.

Post Number: 4
They are reference Studio's 100, my surround back is mythos ST from definitive technology.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15323
Do you have a paradigm center channel speaker? You should have. The deftech's are fine in the rears.

Post Number: 5
I am using mythos 10 so far looking to buy signature c5. but they are very expensive, may be end up with cc690.
Thanks for your time

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15334
That center channel swap will make more difference in the results than anything else, ranjogh, IMO.

Then run the autosetup function and enjoy!

Post Number: 6
Thanks Nuck.
But today I noticed a problem with my ultracube 12. There is a cracking sound comes from it. I checked it nothing wrong physically. Cracking sound comes when the woofer has to produce lot of bass. I think may be when it reaches its peak it produce cracking sound. Any Idea.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15338
Only to turn it down, renjodh, either the sub lolume or input level. I would turn down the sub volume level and work the input to find the best balance.
That and a 2nd sub...a second point of bass output might negate the need for running so much power in 2 ways, one being that the room may have a bit of a bass null, and the 2nd unit may fill that from another location.

Post Number: 7
many Thanks; Should I add the same ultracube 12 or The one I Can get on kijiji is seismic 10 with rms 1500.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15356
There is something for differing subs to avoid cancellation in the room, especially if said room is overly square.

Post Number: 8
Thanks Nuck;
My room is not square it is rectangular and open in one side.
Randy

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1517
For a budget of 1000$ or more and in a room of 4000ft/cubed or less, I'd be tempted by a PAIR of identical subs rather than a single, mondo unit. The gain from a pair and fewer problems with standing waves would make up for any advantages a single sub could muster.

Place them asymmetrically. Try stuff like corner for 1 and 1/3 down the long wall for the other. Don't place them both mid-wall or both in corners or ......well, you get the idea.

Nice, evening read.....

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Technologyleadership/Documents/Scientific %20Publications/13680.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us