KEF's giant leap in acoustic performance

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 752
It's about 37 days away.. Check it out: http://www.kef.com

Don't you just love the tease?!! Anyone know what it could be? Something above the Reference series I'm guessing.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13038
Unless you'll be listening to Muon, the rest just look like standard issue KEF's.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 753
I'm not sure if you noticed their ad for a new KEF speaker to be revealed in about a month.

But I'll take a standard issue 201/2 or 203/2.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 859
If thats true, I'm dissapointed. I was hoping for the more affordable equipment to be part of the big sound upgrade.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13039
"But I'll take a standard issue 201/2 or 203/2."
Yep...when we were kids my brother had a very nice old (new then) HK receiver and KEF speakers. That was a very nice little system.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15305
http://www.avguide.com/article/kef-concept-blade-state-the-art-not-sale-concept- speaker

hehehe

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13040
Is the link button not working again?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 779
James, you should be happy to know that the big news is an update to the iQ line. Perhaps not a huge surprise they updated it this quickly given the mixed reviews the line had the last few years. There are some larger pictures floating around the Internet. I think they look real sharp.

http://www.whathifi.com/News/KEF-unveils-all-new-Q-Series-speaker-range/

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13197
Hope they sound as sharp as they look, or perhaps we should say I hope they don't sound as sharp as they used to. They do look nice.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 780
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankharveyhifi/4990623267/in/photostream/

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1191
I can't understand why the moved away from the previously noted benefits of a curved cabinet structure. Though I personally do like their look - it ain't no Muon with it's boxy shape - not much WAF vs. the previous iQ series - they were quite feminine looking.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13851
The best speakers KEF made were when Raymond Cooke was still around. I still love my two pair of 104/2 Reference loudspeakers, one of which is a pair of R.C. special editions. After he passed away, things went down hill.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 862
Cheers Dan for the info. I'm very happy to hear about the 'upgrade'. I'm going in for a demo in a couple of weeks.
The reason they moved away from the curved design is because of more cabinet volume. Amazing considering KEF sold its last series on the curved cabinet idea. I'm worried about the main driver being aluminium though...bright bright!!

Username: Frankharveyhifi

CoventryUK

Post Number: 1
I haven't read the forum rules, so I'm not sure if retailers are allowed to post, but I came across this thread after checking where certain photos in our Flickr account are linked to and from.

To answer J.Jarvis' post, don't worry. The aluminium cones allow for a faster response than previous Q models, but they're definitely not bright. They do have an effortless knack of being able to project into the room, forcing the music upon you, but in a very gentle and delicate way. I have posted on a couple of different UK forums about their sound and what I think of them, which I can copy and paste here if you would like me to.

Regards
David

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1587
hmmmm...

wonder what they sound like. With the wrong gear, the last iQ could tear your head off.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 783
KEF seems to have this hit and miss reputation. I think I've read your impressions on other forums, David. Sounds like KEF might be back on the right track.

I've now got a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6 speakers. My first dual concentric design, which I'm really looking forward to hearing in my set up.

Username: Frankharveyhifi

CoventryUK

Post Number: 2
The previous iQ was a lot smoother with a little more bass than previous iQ, but this range is completely different. The only similarity is the fact that the new range uses a UniQ driver, but even that is totally different. Technology has already trickled down from the Concept Blade. other than ATC, these new Q's are the best thing I've heard under £1,000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us