Kenwood Receiver not producing sound

Username: Raggy777

Post Number: 1
I have had a Kenwood KR-A5050 and in a closet with only a Kenwood multi-disc changer connected to it, running a signal to in-wall speakers in two rooms of my house for the last 6+ years, and last week something happened so now I it is not able to produce any sound through any of the speakers. I have tried the CD player, and just the radio tuner as well, but nothing.

Now I know that it is possible something when wrong with my speakers, but I thought it would be incredibly coincidental that all speakers, in both rooms, stopped working at the same time. I am currently looking for another pair of speakers I can directly connect to the receiver to test, but otherwise at this point I am at a loss???? Any suggestions???

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15293
Did you maybe switch on the tape monitor in error?

Post Number: 2
No. I am sure I went through all the settings, speaker A/B switches, tape monitor, etc. I have learned from the past on settings getting switched in error.

The only thing I can attribute this whole issue to is that it had the issue after our last thunderstorm? Can say as we got hit, nothing else in the house is acting up, but nonetheless this maybe something?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15294
Do you have headphones to try?

Did you find out about accidental switching like the rest of us? Doh!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15315
Any luck, Guy?

Post Number: 3
Ok... sorry for the delay... crazy week... Anyway, tonight I tried headphones and no luck - no sound. I played with about every feature and control on the receiver but still no avail.

What do you suggest now?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15325
shopping.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1487
What was the 'issue' after the last T-storm? Did it stop working then or a couple days later?
You probably been zapped.
Plan 'B'::
If there are no electrical smells, you may have just popped a fuse. Sometimes you get lucky! Since there are probably no external fuses, you need to open the case. Before doing so, unplug it and let it sit for at least an hour. The PS capacitors...the large 'cans', can hold a lethal dose of electricity for sometimes hours. You DON'T want to find out. KEEP one hand in your pocket.
Look inside the case. Use a flashlight if you gotta. See if there are any dead fuses. This is about a 10% chance.
Failing this, Nuck, above, has indicated plan 'A'.

Post Number: 4
Hey looks like I hit the 10%. I have two blown fuses. I will get them replaced tomorrow.

Thanks Guys.

Username: Chadkrcma

Post Number: 1
What is the likely case if i have tge same problem but no fuses are blown?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16959

Hard to say. Was the unit working and then not? Does anything work on the unit? Lights? Switching? Anything? Or, nothing?

Username: Chadkrcma

Post Number: 2
It was working fine, then after the storm, everything on the reciever works , it's just that it is not putting out any sound to the speakers. I performed the reset by holding the standby button and turning it on, but that did nothing.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16964

If you had no surge protection device on the receiver, it's a pretty safe bet the storm burned out the receiver's guts. Even with a decent - read: not a $10 item - surge protection system, the Kenwood has a two pin AC plug. This provides no good route for a power surge to dump the excess voltage other than running it through the receiver first. A surge protection device has its protection halved when a two pin vs a three pin, grounded AC cable is used. Even rather expensive surge devices are hindered when only a two conductor AC cable is in place.

You can take the unit to a qualified repair shop and ask for an estimate of repair costs before proceding with any service. But, typically, a reciever which has been hit by a surge from a storm is now a very large paper weight at best. Not always, but I would begin looking for a new receiver if I were you while you hope for the best news from the repair shop.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us