Please Advice on Jamo S506

Username: Erin1981

Post Number: 1
Hi Everybody,

I'm using an Onkyo HT-R320 receiver and Onkyo HTP-360 5.1 speaker package for the last 5 years.The speakers are basic satellite speakers with a subwoofer.

The reciever has 600W RMS and 100W each on channel.I was very happy with the overall quality of the system.But lately I started to feel that it lacks a little on the music side and decided to add a pair of tower speakers.

So I bought a pair of Jamo s506 3 days ago and replaced it with the my front satellite speakers and it did sound better.But today I wanted to test it on a high volume and when I pumped up the volume ,it didn't sound as good as my previous combination (satellite speakers + sub woofer).There was lot of distortion.I thought it could be the mp3 cd
I was playing.Then I tried few original tracks and I'm more dissappointed.However, there was one track which is in mp3 format (with many instruments and drums) that still sounds better on high volume.Meanwhile one of my friends told me ,it could be that the speakers are not original.I'm totally confused and shattered. What could be wrong??Please advice me.

And yes, I'm playing the cds on a Sony DVD player which is of reasonable quality I believe.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Erin.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 468
I've never heard the Jamo S506. So I have no idea if they're any good.

Difficult to know exactly where your problems lie. It's possible you have more than one contributing factor to the distortion your hearing.

But I do know that Onkyo HT-R320 is basically a Home-Theater-In-A Box receiver. I don't believe it's designed and cut-out to be driving the Jamo S 506.

That receiver is pretty much designed to match up with and drive the Onkyo HTP-360 5.1 speaker package and little HT in a box speakers like them.

As for that 100 watt per channel spec rating, I wouldn't put too much stock of accuracy into that.

It may be a combination of that receiver and the S 506 speakers. But I doubt the Jamo speakers are the problem. I suspect that receiver is incapable of providing quality current/power to the S 506, so it's distorting badly. The distortion is probably a result of the receiver having a not so good power design.

Also, depending on how compressed your mp3's are and the quality of the recordings/music you're listening to; that could also be a contributing factor.

Do you have a friend or trusted dealer who could lend youm a better receiver for a few hours, so you could test it out with the S 506? You may want to try that.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15195
erin, there is so much going on there that I would not start to guess.

You have started at least with a cd, use your best recorded one.

Remove everything to the receiver except dv player.Strip back your existing speaker wires as much as a foot, if possible, on both ends, and reconnect. Be very certain of your connections.

Check the players menu to be 2.0 pcm.
Select whatever is available on the Onkyo for most direct/bypass or some such name.

Keep the speakers well out into the room for the moment, not jammed near a wall anywhere.

Try again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us