What speakers would be a good match for a Marantz PM-8003 for around 500 USD?

Username: Cmwaite

Charlotte, North Carolina United State...

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a Marantz PM-8003 (as stated in the subject). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good set of speakers? I would prefer floorstanders, but I would consider a nice pair of bookshelf speakers (factoring in 60-100USD for stands). I am going to be using my system mostly for vinyl playback with the likes of a Rega P1/P2 or Music Hall 2.2/5.1, depending on the number on my paychecks... I listen to all sorts of music: primarily classic rock, hip-hop, and electronic, although I listen to classical, jazz, and blues on occasion. These speakers will need to sound good at relatively low volumes as I will be living in an apartment this coming year, but I would like the option to really crank them, too. I'm looking to spend between 300 and 500USD, although I could be convinced to spend slightly more.

I'd prefer 3-way speakers to 2-way speakers, just because it makes more sense to me as a concept. If you feel that I am misled in my preference, feel free to correct me/suggest 2-way speakers.

Hopefully that is enough information? If not ask questions. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14982

If your budget is limited, don't consider three way systems superior to two way or even one way speakers. The more speakers in the system the more difficult it is to get each to integrate with the others and money is taken away from better drivers to buy more drivers and more filters to make them work together. In your price range many of the three way speakers available will be not much more than the lower priced two way with an added woofer which won't change much about the speaker other than complexity of the system.

What speakers are available to you in your locale?

Post Number: 2
I've mostly been looking at deals online, but it seems that we have a store here that sells Energy and RBH speakers. B&W speakers are available with a 2-5 hour drive.

FYI: I have been putting together a list of speakers that have peaked my interest:
Monitor Audio BR2 (next to impossible to obtain in the US)
KEF C7
Energy RC-30 (a little out of my range if I remember correctly)
Athena LS-300 or LS-500
Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 or Aviano 1
Infinity P362 (a little out of my range)
Yamaha NS-555 (I've heard good things, but mostly from people using them for home theater... I love the styling and the specs, but are these any good?)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3883
I've never heard a Yamaha speaker I liked.

Another speaker to look into is the PSB Image T series (the discontinued T45, T55, T65). Some companies have a great deal on them. I had T55s, and $450 or $500 is a great buy IMO. If you have a PSB dealer in your area, check them out.

You really should try to buy from a store, not online. You'll get a sense of how the speakers sound that way. If you buy online and hate them, then what? Re-stocking fees, return shipping, etc.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3884
Paradigm speakers should match nicely too. Same advice as above - hear them first.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 708
I once heard a Marantz amp and CD player powering PSB Image T towers. Very nice, balanced sound.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1521
I have the previous marantz amp (7000 series) and it sounded fat withe B&W. KEF are a good bet...just not the coda series IMHO.

I have a pair of IQ series that paired well with it.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14985

Buying speakers on line is a risky adventure. You need to hear what a speaker does and doesn't do - and hopefully know what it is you want a speaker to do and not do - before you make any significant purchases.

You do understand that, right?

As you can see what you're going to get from a forum will be several divergent opinions, none of which should matter to you. You're simply reading what people like and don't like. Your system isn't their's and your opinions should not be taken from their's.

Now, which speakers are available for audition in your area?

Post Number: 3
That's my problem, there really aren't any speakers available for audition in my area except those made by Energy and RBH. I'd prefer not to limit my selection to just two speaker companies, even though I've heard great things about both of them. The closest place to audition a broader range is at least 2 hours away and I work Monday through Friday. I would really like to audition some B&W's though.

Post Number: 4
I just found out that the pre-outs on my amp can indeed be used as subwoofer pre-outs (I wasn't sure because they weren't labeled as such and they output a full frequency range) so bookshelf speakers would work just fine. Do you guys think my Onkyo 100 watt 10 inch sub from my other system is adequate for pairing with speakers in my price range (the sub came in a set with 6 speakers for 300 dollars brand new) or do you think that I should get a better subwoofer?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15153
okay, so can you check out the Energy line? The rc70 is a very aggressive speaker with a good dose of tricks.
The rc60 is usually way less money, and sounds like it.
Go try.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 963
"Do you guys think my Onkyo 100 watt 10 inch sub from my other system is adequate for pairing with speakers in my price range (the sub came in a set with 6 speakers for 300 dollars brand new) or do you think that I should get a better subwoofer?"

I wouldn't worry too much about the sub until you've figured out what speakers you're buying. Who knows, you may not even need a sub. If you do, you could make do with the Onkyo (turned down low) for a while. It likely isn't the be-all-end-all, but it might do until you've got the budget for something better.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14988

"That's my problem, there really aren't any speakers available for audition in my area except those made by Energy and RBH."

CW, ain't you never heard the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"? Go audition the speakers available to you. They're a start and you might just find something you like, maybe a line not even advertised in your area. IMO, a speaker you can audition is worth far more than a speaker you buy because you read a review that said someone else liked the speaker.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/612804.html

If your budget is limited you have to make wise decisions not take shot in the dark chances. If you order on line and you don't like the speakers, what are you going to do? Live with them, sell them or send them back? The last two options cost you money that eats into your buying power when you find what you want. It's a pretty lame excuse IMO, "I work Mon-Fri", if you want to get the most for your money. Take a day off and go listen to some music.

No one here can tell you what you will like. If that were the case, we would all be using the same speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1098
Jan, Nuck and Stu,

It's good to see you guys are still alive and still giving excellent advice, especially Jan's last comment. I purchased Ascend speakers sight unheard. It turned out that they worked fine for my HT and I got lucky. However, in the past several years, I've had the chance to listen to many more speakers and this has led me to hold off on doing anything to my 2 channel system until I can do exactly what I want, which means more money for speakers and a better amp for the system. However, for me it's all about another 20 years of future sound and living with my purchases so I want to get it right the first time. These guys are really good and will steer you to good ideas if you just remain patient and don't buy something just to buy something.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14992

Welcome back to the forum, Dak, are you here for awhile?

CW, if you are not interested in auditioning speakers before you make a purchase, you might then consider a speaker kit. Dollar for dollar, if you can screw a few drivers into a pre-assembled cabinet, you can get speakers that are quite good and in many cases as good as anything else you might find for the money spent. IMO, ordering on-line is for someone who really knows audio well and knows what they want from their system. But, if that's the route you are going to take ...
http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm

http://www.madisound.com/kits/index.php

And, highly recommended ...
http://brinesacoustics.com/#Pricing

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 255
just my 2 cents on this one ..
paradigm is good..
but at his price point ?
and what he has thought about maybe..

I would go with the athena's ls-500
then try your sub first see if it can keep up with your choice front 2 speakers..
not sure..
or

with an energy 8.3 sub
and with the rega stock turntable cart go with at least benz-micro 20 or similiar....

hooked up with decent wire say audioquest type 2 or 4 and your set perfect match with the aluminum tweeter and marantz..
and side note love my new athena sub ep500

$1300 canadian

thanks

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 5
Okay, I got next Monday off and I'm taking my amp to an audio store in Virginia Beach to try out some speakers. I'll try ones within and well beyond my price range, because I might be getting a decently sized check from Geico for an accident I was in last month (some idiot ran a red light and plowed into the front left side of my car doing about 55). Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you all know what I decide on.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14996

Save some of that insurance check to send to a worthy charity. Whichever speakers you buy will sound better after doing that, I promise.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1099
Charles,

Take all the advice you can get from Jan on speakers. But, when it comes to auto accidents and settlement checks, you're better off listening to me. LOL The speakers won't sound any better but you may feel better about yourself for following his advice.

Jan, I hope to check in more often now that my life has settled down some. I traveled more in the last two years than I traveled in the prior 28 while practicing law; it's been interesting to say the least. Without hijacking Charles' thread, whatever happened to Tim?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3890
Great to see you Dak.

Sorry for the interruption Charles...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 852
"Take all the advice you can get from Jan on speakers"
Even if you don't like it.

Jan commented that my Kef q60s were unexciting. I sold them very relucatantly. I replaced them with some Celestion 5s and they're better in just about every sense. Although we are talking about old equipment here, since I'm a graduate trying to find a job.

I think most people here would vouch to say that Marantz is generally laid back and if partnered with too laid back/warm speakers the sound will be uninvolving. That said, a lot of good suggestions have been made. Although Gavin mentioned the Coda series which i thought was pretty old, with the 'C' series being something new altogether.
I think you have to ask yourself when auditioning, which speakers sound most involving to you. I listen to a diverse range of music like yourself Charles and its certainly not easy finding the right speakers.

I would advise you to stay away from Subwoofers though. Integration is a pain and no subwoofer beats a good floorstander.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 967
"I would advise you to stay away from Subwoofers though. Integration is a pain and no subwoofer beats a good floorstander."

I'd respectfully disagree with this JJ. To build a true full range speaker there are compromises to be made. I've heard many speaker lines where I've felt the standmount speaker sounded far better than any of the floorstanders....with the exception of the bottom octive or two. Subs can be difficult to integrate, but if you address the room deficiencies, and experiment a little, it can be done pretty easily. I'd rather have the midrange done right and work on filling out the bass than the other way around.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1524
sorry... I keep calling the C series by the original name :-)

I did not like the C series at all. I found them boxy and unimpressive.

Silver Member

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 853
I wasn't suggesting that the bass is the most important factor. Just that I prefer a balanced floorstander with exceptional bass, midrange and treble in the first instance than a standmount and subwoofer equivalent. I've only heard one sub/stadmount system that was musical to me, the Arcam Muso with Logo Sub and they used two subwoofers.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1528
I have to agree with Chris as well. What I classify as "balanced floorstands" are not inexpensive. The money goes into a better cabinet, when I could buy a halfway decent sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 854
Interesting!

Silver Member

Post Number: 855
What would you say is the most important part in cabinet design?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 977
I'm not a speaker designer, so I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. My understanding though is that it isn't just about a good cabinet or a bad cabinet. The speaker is designed as a whole....cabinet, drivers, wire, and what you put in the enclosure, how it's braced, how it's mounted, etc, etc. Some cabinets (Transmission line for instance) can get pretty complicated. There's no one answer to "what's the most important part".

To add to that, speaker designers approach the same problem from a number of different perspectives. They use different materials and designs to solve the same problem. Some brace the heck out of their speakers and use very high density materials, making them extremely rigid. You'll often read reviewers comment on how rigid the structure of a speaker is after they've rapped their knuckles on it. Others (Tonian Labs as an example) use very common birch plywood, and treat the speaker more like a musical instrument....looking to achieve more resonance control than resonance elimination. These aren't as impressive when you bang your knuckles on them. But which is the better approach ? That's somethig you have to determine for yourself.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3909
Some designers try to kill vibrations completely - Green Mountain Audio extensively uses marble cabinets.

Others figure they'll never eliminate it and go with it - Totem Arros are light on purpose in an attempt to vibrate with the drivers which eliminates a lot of the detrimental effects.

Turntables are very similar. There are a lot of heavy turntables out there, and there are a lot tables that uses springs of one design or another to get everything vibrating at the same rate. The Linn LP12 is probably the most popular one of that design theory.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1503
I don't think suggestions for speaker do any harm. A lot of the speaker can be bought online and tested in your own home where it sounds the way it will anyway. Listening in a store will tell you how it will sound in that store.

Yes, you may have to ship it back, but does shlepping to the next town to try something really save that much money?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3913
Good point Stof. Unless you have a good selection reasonably close to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 857
In that case, I suppose admitting preference is one step of determining if different cabinets do or dont sound better. My current speakers have a very light and unsolid cabinet. All my speakers in the past have been quite heavy and with thick cabinets with varied amount of bracing, yet my Celestion 5 speakers are a lot better, particularly with controlling the bass, than most of my past standmount speakers in most areas. Not bad for technology thats around 18 years old.
I've still yet to hear anything from Totem. O.. I can't wait till I'm salaried.

Post Number: 6
Bought some Monitor Audio BR5's for about 400 dollars, can't wait for them to get here.... Thank all of you for your suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1507
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us