Need Help With My B&W Speakers

Username: Shesher

Post Number: 1
Have B&W Following Models

Front:DM602 S2

Centre:CC6S2

Rear:DM303

No Sub Yet.

Totally confused with the amp silection.I do understand i have to have a AV amp to get my centre channel to work.Everyone telling me if im into music CD's Is better to go for Sterio amp.Like NAD or Rotel is the best match for B&W speakers.I dont mind paying 300/400 pounds but love to have my centre channel working.

Someone told me i can buy sterio amp and buy another AV amp with pre amp to process my centre channel. AV from denon with pre processor is quite expensive anyone have any idea.............what should i do..

Q.1.What Sterio AMP Gonna Be Best For Me?

Q.2.Spending That Much Money Does it worth to have my centre channel worked ?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14973

If you already have five speakers, you'll have to decide how dedicated to higher quality two channel reproduction you this is appropriate. You can find HT receivers with facilities to send the front channel (two channels) information to a stereo amplifier and you can find two channel amps with facilities to utilize the feed from an HT receiver. All of this IMO is trying to make a puce purse out of a pig's posterior. It kludges together disparate elements which never really gel for either as the two channel is held back by the HT facilites and the HT is never really well matched to the two channel/front channel capabilities and needs.

If you have a proper set up, there is no real need for a center channel. The center speaker was created to provide wide seating well off axis (to the extreme sides) of the main listening area and it serves not much other purpose than to anchor vocals and effects to the screen position for those listeners outside of the center seating area. If your listening area doesn't include extreme left/right seating, then you might possibly do away with the center and never really miss it as the overall soundstage will widen appreciably when 85% of the material is not to sent to a center only channel. Digital processing does do more than what I've just described and some people prefer the manipulation of digital "space" created by Dolby and DTS circuits. You'll have to decide for yourself which is the preferrable set up. What digital manipulation creates is not at all real but two channel film sound can at first appear rather flat by comparison. Of course, virtually all multi-channel music material is even more oddly distributed across and beyond a false proscenium and two channel should typically win that contest.

I would spend time at your local, friendly dealer to do some auditioning of various set ups. Take some material in on a quiet weekday afternoon and not a busy weekend to have some time to listen - call ahead if possible. If you decide you must have sound coming from all directions and you can give up superior two channel sound to reach that goal, then you need an HT reciver or you need to substantially upgrade your budget. Until you make that basic decision there's no need in discussing which amplifier to buy as the options are too wide open and most will be chucked once you make your two/five decision.

Post Number: 2
Thank U For Explaining Me Detail. Well I Will Go For Sterio 2(Obviously A&B as i have 4 speakers).I read some review about Rotel Rotel RA-04SE For 300 pounds sounds good but no remote. Ok Make It simple for me is it NAD,Rotel or what ? which model no...And how i'm gonna check my speakers with those amp.Cant just take all my speakers down there.

I Will Appreciate If U Can Tell Me Please.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14974

Rotel is a common partner to B&W speakers, NAD less so. Which model? Don't know, each company has a strong house sound that runs through their most recent products so pick according to the features you want and the price. Wattage is not that important as 80 watts doesn't play any appreciable amount louder than 40 watts. If it ain't loud enough with 50 watts, buying 100 watts won't change that. I asssume you are looking to buy a new amplifier not a pre owned model. If so, your dealer should be able to guide you to the best electrical match to your speakers and should offer a return/exchange policy if you're not satisfied. I would certainly try to take your front/main pair of speakers with you when you make a final decision.

Post Number: 3
Thank You.Ever So Much .Will Contact My Local Dealer....Take Care
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us