HK 990 2 x 150W 2.2-Channel Stereo Integrated Amplifier

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3221
http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-GB/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HK 990/230&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

HK 990 2 x 150W 2.2-Channel Stereo Integrated Amplifier

In terms of raw power, the HK 990 is the most muscular amplifier ever to carry the Harman Kardon name, more than capable of driving the most demanding loudspeaker loads without breaking a sweat. But the HK 990's awesome power is nothing if not highly refined, extending beyond watts and amps. With a choice of discrete optical or digital inputs or an analog-only signal path, as well as fourth-generation Real-Time Linear Smoothing (RLS IV), 2.2-channel EzSet/EQ room optimization, dual subwoofer outputs and an audiophile-quality phono preamp section, the HK 990 offers a combination of features you will find irresistible. Others, of course, may simply hunger for all that power. We understand completely.

...Very cute!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3222
Read more...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/Harman-Kardon-launches-HK-990-stereo-amp-and-matchi ng-CD-player/

Gold Member

Post Number: 3223
http://uk.cinenow.com/videos/2081-harman-kardon-hk-990

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15090
THAT is a very interesting H/K.
Doubles power, "audiophile" mm/mc, and a good looking DAC.

Nice!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1254
How much $$ ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3224
HK gear routinely sells for about 50-60% of its MSRP, it's not being sold state-side as far as I can tell, but it's on HK's US website, I will investigate this further & report back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3225
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-rec orders/harman-kardon-hd990-cd-player-594768/review

Gold Member

Post Number: 3226
It's currently selling for £888.99, or $1,317.72

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=888.99&From=GBP&To=USD&image.x=68&image .y=8

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15092
If the unit plays as good as it looks, with those dual mono power supplies, that might be a very fair price, as the amp is very fairly rated at 4 ohms doubling.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 682
It probably sounds great...but why keep the same styling as the cheap looking HT line? If they are going for a serious audio product that is relatively expensive, make it look that way and call it something like Harman/Kardon Reference Series.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15096
Bling $$

Gold Member

Post Number: 3227
I think Harman/Kardon's styling is pretty nice, especially at this price-point, I like it better than NAD, better than CA, and even better than the new Marantz gear?

You can't see it in this pic, but I really like the way the feet look on the new H/K gear.

Upload

I figure if they called it "Reference Series" or something like that, it would add an easy $500 to the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3229
Well it seems these products have rode off into the sunset without having ever graced the shores of North America.

I'm not sure how or why H/K has chosen to include them on their updated website now, but it would have been nice to have had a chance to listen to them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3230
Why do you suppose H/K chose not to release these products in North America? If other, smaller, companies are turning a profit selling components, wouldn't it stand to reason that H/K could have done the same? I don't get it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15097
Bummer.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4011
Dual power supplies too. Looks nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3232
Looked nice...if their Customer Service reps from the Pitcairn Islands are to be believed.

Username: Pigman

Post Number: 1
Talked to a local dealer in Brantford 2 days ago,he called HK and he is saying August release date for N.A.
Aaron
p.s Hello Nuck

Gold Member

Post Number: 3235
Did he speak to the reps in the Pitcaim Islands?

That would be welcomed news, I hope your dealer's right

Post Number: 2
No not those folks,the Canucks.
He is hyped about this gear too.
Aaron

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15098
Hey Aaron.
Getting to try this amp out would be a gooood thing, methinks.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4020
For sure. That looks like a nice piece of gear. I've always appreciated the understated appearance of H/K stuff, as well as the warm powerful sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3236
My sources in the Pitcairn Islands are still claiming these are discontinued European products.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15101
More, again, from the International man of intrigue...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3239
My English speaking source within Harman International has clarified the intrigue surrounding the H/K components.

They are current products being produced exclusively for the British market and there are currently NO plans to release these components in North America.

However, I am also told that Harman products are usually released in Europe prior to a North American release, and that H/K's product support line is getting "at least a couple of calls a day" regarding these products, so maybe a grass-roots campaign can be waged to bring them state-side?

I was also told that H/K does not currently produce a 110v power-supply to replace the Euro-style 230v one, which might present a small problem.

Is it very difficult (or more expensive) to produce a 110v power-supply which performs like a 230v one?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1273
If it's just about watts, a US 120/20 should be more than enough power.
Spec'ing power for North American users should not be a big problem. Different transformer, maybe pretty much the single biggest change. Cost? depends on how many they intend sell. Cost should drop as as more are produced.

Post Number: 3
Talked to my guy again and he is still saying August,he is hyped to see it☆.
Aaron

Gold Member

Post Number: 3240
Sorry Aaron, after my conversation with H/K today, I don't see that happening anytime soon, and what is the 9734?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3080
Looks solid Chris. I text my dealer today to see if he heard anything about it and he said its a European model but expects it will be in North America eventually. He took an educated guess and said mid 2011. Based his guess on H/K's history.

Post Number: 5
I have no idea how those last numbers got in there folks.
Hopefully they will show.I want too hear these.
Aaron

Gold Member

Post Number: 3242
What was most interesting was when my English-speaking source said he & everyone else he knew would love to see the components go on sale in NA, but the suits had determined that the NA is overwhelmingly interest in HT, something I could not refute except to note that companies like McIntosh, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, etc., etc., all seem to be doing just fine in the NA 2-CH market, and further, whatever small fraction of the NA marketplace interested in 2-CH probably outnumbers the combined marketplace of all of Europe, which may or may not be entirely accurate, but it sounded good at the time.

Get on the horn boys & girls, we got some arms that need twisting!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3083
I agree Christopher. Although the HT market is larger, the two channel market in NA destroys such of the UK in sales. Bryston, Sim Audio, Blue Circle, Classe, McIntosh, Krell and so on, even at a higher end market still sell millions of dollars worth of gear every year. Some Arm twisting is needed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3245
The problem with making calls to Harman is that you are forced through a gauntlet of automated choices, the aforementioned representatives in the Pitcairn Islands for whom English is a 3rd language, and then an interminable wait on hold before you can actually speak with an inside man.

If you still want to give it a whirl, the toll-free number is (800) 422-8027

Gold Member

Post Number: 3309
Looks like HARMAN has decided to release the HK-990 Integrated Amp ($1,700) & HD-990 CD Player ($399), to North America.

$1,700 is a hell of a bit more expensive than the $1,000 it was selling for in Great Britain. Unless that sucker is HEAVILY discounted, I think I'll have to pass.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HK%2099 0

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13131
I'm sure you can do a lot better at that price...good call.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15375
Damn, Chris, and we were looking forward to it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3310
Tell me about it; It could be worse, because acording to this Press Release, the HK 990 MSRP is $2,599! The HD 990 $699!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/harman-international-debuts-home-multimedia-and -mobile-products-launching-this-fall-2010-09-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Gold Member

Post Number: 3311
In Great Britain, the street price for the HK 990 is about $1,100 USD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ukdapper-Harman-Kardon-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002ZGTEKE

Gold Member

Post Number: 3318
Oye!... http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK990-2-2-Channel-Integrated/dp/B00413OXLY

Gold Member

Post Number: 3390
As I suspected, let the discounting begin!

J&R has the HK-990 for $1799, and the HD-990 for $399.

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_990/

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_HD990/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us