What type of receiver should I get for CV DX-9 speakers?

Username: Adam83

Post Number: 4
I've found a pair of dx-9 speakers for sale that I'd like to buy. this is their specs:

Brand: Cerwin Vega
Model: DX-9
Function: Main / Stereo
Construction: 3-Way
Woofer Size (Inch): 15
Peak Power Handling (Watts): 400
Mounting: Floorstanding
Midrange Size (Inch): 7.5
Tweeter Size (Inch): 3

I have been looking at receivers on craigslist and ebay. I dont have a large budget, maybe $200 at the most, and i dont care if the unit is older or newer, it just needs to be able to rock the speakers and be as best of quality as I can afford. What kind of watts per channel should I be looking for when buying the receiver? What brands should I look for, and which brands are the ones to stay away from?

Thanks!

Post Number: 5
I will be using my Computer as the main source of music, not a cd player. I have all my music in mp3, flac and wav form on an external hard drive. I will also run the external dvd player audio for my tv through the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1490
a 3 inch tweeter?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14929

With a 1" voice coil, that's how you get power handling. Terrible dispersion but high power handling.

The CV's are easy on amplifiers. Almost any decent receiver will do the job though I'd stay away from anything with a tendency to emphasize the high frequencies.

Post Number: 6
ok thanks. The thing is i dont know squat about how to look for that. Can you give me some specific models I can look up on ebay or craigslist?

I found a cheap one. Pioneer VSX 815-K $50

Then there was one i might be able to get for $300. Harman Kardon AVR 7200

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14930

Spend the $300.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15091
300.00 and out.
Or 6 of the 50$ ones, disposable.

Post Number: 7
for the money, is the hk7200 the best I can get for these speakers? If there is something else I should try, please give me the make and model so I can look it up on cl and ebay. Thanks for the advice so far!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15095
If the H/K works properly, I would be cool wit dat.
Those Vega's do not need tons of power, and deliver nothing more with a good amp than a receiver, IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Ok, I cannot get the guy to sell me the HK for 300. I have been searching and have came up with a final list. i dont mind if the receiver is 2 channel, but a 5.1 or higher would be nice down the road to add more speakers. Right now I'm only concerned with powering the 2 dx-9's the best I can. Here is a list of the choices I have in my price range:

Denon DRA-697CI HD $250

Denon AVR-3200 $100

denon avr 4802 $250 maybe..he may not go that low

denon 3600 $174

Onkyo TX-SR702 $180

Onkyo M-282 $100

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14934

Find out who repairs Denon and Onkyo in your area and go from there. If you're on a tight budget, you don't want to be shipping receivers off somewhere to be repaired. If you can get the Onkyo repaired locally, buy one of those.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1494
Fyi the 282 is not a receiver. It is an amp. You will still need a preamp to make it work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i did not know about the pre amp. I thought is was an integrated amp, that already had a pre amp.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1495
Nope
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us