Need advice on first home stereo purchase, Dx-9 or MA S8?

Username: Adam83

Post Number: 1
I have a large, open 600sq ft room upstairs, no doors, just a staircase leading downstairs. I am looking to buy my first stereo. I've had boom boxes in the past, but never a system. I have about $500 to spend. After some research and reviewing what is for sale locally, I have come down to a set of Cerwin Vega DX-9's or Monitor Audio silver S8's. I want them to hit hard, thats why I chose the dx-9s after reading about them, but I also listen to music that has a lot going on so I would like to try and get clean sounding speakers, and from what i've read the s8's will be good but I'm worried they wont hit hard enough. I will be using them mostly for music, but definitely for movies sometime too. I listen to punk, classic rock, hip hop and some rap and pop. Kinda the whole spectrum, except I cant stand most country.

Have I picked decent speakers for what my goals are? Any recommendations? i dont know much about amps except that i will need one. I can get the speakers for 300 or under, so what's the recommendation for the amp I should be looking for, or any other component I'm going to need? Sorry, I'm a total newbie. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1241
Audition and buy a complete system.

Putting something together via review and price is a way to drive yourself nuts and may lead to unhappy results.

600ft2 is fairly large and may take over your budget to play loud.
OH, how loud DO you like it? loud costs and really loud costs lots more.

If you are serious about better sound, find a real stereo store, not the local multi-mart. If not, than get the CVs.....and some kind of entry level HK stereo receiver.
Best has the Insignia line which is OK. I've seen people recommend there cheapo speakers when on sale. That and a receiver should do it......
Now, what about source....CD? DVD/CD player? TurnTable? Old 8-track?

Post Number: 2
I'm pretty much shopping off craigslist and ebay, so if you could give me a certain model i can look it up. Haha I dont have a source yet..I think..what does that mean? To the best of my knowledge there is a reciever that I would plug all of my equipment into, like the cd player, the playstation, and the dvd player. Then the receiver plugs into the amp, and amp powers the speakers. Am i correct?

The matched sets I can afford at the store, are a little wimpy. When I type in home theatre on craigslist, a million adds pop up, and I dont anything about surround set ups, what to look for when i'm buying, etc.. so i figured that I'd just stick with a couple of good floor speakers that could rock my room.

BTW, can you explain the reason you'd go with the dx-9s over the s8s?

Post Number: 3
oh yeah, I'd like to shake the walls if I can but still hear all the different instruments in the music.. is that unreasonable to expect with my budget/speaker selection?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15082
If the shopping hounds are very snootful, maybe.
Without a solid proven system to copy, not likely.

20. 30. 40 and 50yr veterans here will likely agree.
So will 4 out of 5 dentists (who gave up Bose).

Expectations and the vagaries of reality in that room may be different.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us