Yamaha amp loosing power

Username: Liquid_sun

Post Number: 7
Hi.
Today i realize that when i turn up the volume approximately above 1/2 on my yamaha ax-440 amp the sound is starting to disappear for 1- 2 seconds than goes back, similar to flickering in a distance of 2 second. What it could be? I've never experienced this problem before.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14922

"What it could be?"

My first guess would be a defective part. How long has this been happening and is it consistent every time you advance the vc?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1233
Cold solder joint.

Post Number: 8
Yes it is consistent every time i advance the vc, I think it could be the speakers cause before i was using 4 speakers you know A+B, and since i sold one pair of speakers im using 2 speakers - one speaker connected to A channel and the other to B channel.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14923

Why?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1234
Noisy VC?
Jan, does the weird hookup matter?
SS should be OK w/o load.

Hris:: is the sound 'gritty' when you turn the VC up or down....kind of like a scratching noise?

Post Number: 9
I expressed wrongly sorry for that I was trying to said that if all the 4 speakers are connected to the amplifier - no problems, if two speakers are connected - the sound is flickering. Strange but true :D or it is just coincidence

Post Number: 10
No, when i turn the VC up or down there is no scratching noise

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15080
To recap, you have 2 speakers hanging on the 'A'speaker posts of a Yamaha receiver, and when you quickly turn up the volume, the response does not sound odd, or noisy, but lags behind the vc. Is this correct?
Does your receiver or remote have a discrete volume setting?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
One speaker is connected to the A channel and the other to B channel. is it correct that? And when i quickly turn up the volume there is no scratching nor lags behind the vc, but as i said after i turn the vc above 1/2 the signal to speakers is starting to loosing so the sound is flickering, i mean 1-2 seconds the speakers are playing than the sound disappears than after 1-2 the sound goes back and after 1-2 again disappears , all that in a loop until i turn down the volume control.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Anyway thanks for the time spend on my problem guys, i really appreciate that.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14925

You might have a strand of speaker cable touching somewhere it shouldn't. Double check your speaker wiring making certain all connections are clean and tight and no insulation is frayed along the length of the cable. Connect both speakers only to the "A" outputs.

(No, Leo, it shouldn't matter on a solid state or tube amplifier as long as both channels are loaded.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
You wont believe me, but since i connected both speakers only to "A" outputs the problem disappeared. Sry guys, i'm a such noob all the time the speakers were wrongly connected. Thank you all again

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1248
I'll bet BOTH speakers were connected to the L or R channel.
Amp simply didn't like the impedance at higher levels?

What'cha think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Exactly both speakers were connected to L channel.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15085
It is fun to be able to help on the forum, Hristijan!

If you are a noob, and have any other questions or additions, please say so!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us