Amplifiers and speakers

Username: Stephen_lockie

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
lets talk about Impedance as Resistance and how a speaker relates to amplifier output. The most common misconception is high current high power and watts verses impedance verses voltage verses frequency response of said speaker and so on .
you have an amp rated at 200 watts RMS per channel into an 8 ohm load? what dose this mean well here it is it means nothing base on volume what most consider as the SPL ( sound pressure level ) lesson 1 they are totally unrelated a speaker with an of efficiency 98 db at 1 watt at 1 meter is very in efficient as are most home audio speakers try 128 db at 1 watt 1 meter? so why you say high power high current poor efficiency! blame the speaker manufacture because the physics of these components are the same as any other it has to do with the magnet strength the voice coil the cone size or diaphragm or edge wound verses round wound voice coil. gap tolerance distance of travel in the magnetic gap ETC. so less efficient the need for more power which in turn relates to higher current and Damping factor. then the the cabinet etc until days go by and your frustrated. Lets add the room environment to that equation and how sound travels now we have broken our brains! how do we comprehend this unless you have a degree in physics. Well it's simple. Think about how you here first and then let the science be what it is sound is a pressure difference + and - at the ear and makes the ear drum vibrate. Step one your ears are the ultimate test of sound what we do is try to recreate amplify and direct that which is just a pressure differential and activation of molecules and atoms in the air we take for granted. how fast is sound? it is temperature dependent and relative humidity has an effect as well. SO lets get back to amplification. the book is 600 hundred pages long and that's only after 100 years of research. The physics of sound is still in the diaper stage. There are mechanical Electrical and physical principles at work as well as atomic i.e AIR and its components. lots to think about. simple rule to follow sound is a transmission of an acoustical transmission generated by some source that activates the Atoms and molecules them it is converted into an electrical signal amplified and then reproduced using an physical piston motion to yet once again try with 20 % success to reproduce the original signal. why 20% because that's about as much as we know about how to recreate something that is not original, and using another type of mechanical device to reproduce the source ( speaker ) or as i refer to it as a plunger back and forth with applied mechanical pressure to produce a reaction to applied energy and as we all know it takes more energy to produce an atomic or molecular reaction than we are able to capture from said reaction. Hope this helps more to come on how and why things in the audio world are what they are and how we are also part of the equation.

Enjoy and think about what I have said and Soon I will show in a way anyone can understand and can be taken to any scientist for proof of concept I'm just trying to make this easy for you all to understand. Respectfully

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15079
Welcome to the forum, Steven.
In a 128 db responsive speaker,with extremely tight coil clearance, no cooling, and edge wound coils, would you like to expand on the geometric rate of increasing back EMF that a OTL amplifier is exposed to?

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 939
"I'm just trying to make this easy for you all to understand."

Really ? What specifically were you trying to make easy for us to understand ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us