Quick question about behringer EP 4000

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 243
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-EP4000-LIST

is this amp legit? is it really capable of putting out the power it claims? I can get great deals on quality drivers and I wouldn't mind doing a little project of putting an 18 in sub in a 10 cu ft enclosure and bridge it down to 4 ohms to have some crazy power, its actually too much power but they have lower models as well, but this seems to be the best bang for the buck.
I understand i wouldn't be making a "perfect" home theater sub, but thats not my goal, just to give good low end to fill a big room of bass.
thanks for any comments, i appreciate it

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3985
I'm no expert on DIY stuff, but if I were to build a sub, I'd use a dedicated subwoofer plate amp like this:

http://http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-805

Why buy a stereo amp when your sub is going to run in mono?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14919

"I understand i wouldn't be making a "perfect" home theater sub, but thats not my goal, just to give good low end to fill a big room of bass."

Then you certainly do not need a 10 cubic foot enclosure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
the reason for a 10 cu ft enclosure is just because i can do it, and the kid in me just wants to have loud bass, thinking an Fi Q or something, ill probably build my own sub and tune the box around 32 hz or so.

the only reason for asking is just to get more power instead of spending more on a plate amp for less power.
I realize after doing some research this probably won't work the way i want it too, but if im bridging it down that would work to run a single sub right?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1230
Either buy a pair of drivers and make an isobaric enclosure or a single driver 'dual voice coil' or DVC, for short. No need to do bridging or other 'slight of electronics' to make it work.

As to the 'more for less' argument, forget it. You will still have to worry about crossover and the other things which a decent plate amp comes with 'for free'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
just wondering if the amp puts out the power its rated at.
not a problem to use a crossover, so i only push bass frequencies to the sub.
If you look at it my way, why pay over $400 for a plate amp to do 1000 watts when i can pay 300 to have more power and just have to add a crossover.
the idea is to get the most power available for the cheapest price

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3986
I can't possibly see why you'd need more than 300 watts of subwoofer power.

How big is your room?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1231
'just add a crossover' !!
That's good. An inductor which will handle the power you propose will be 40$ plus. Call is 80$ for a good 12 ga. aircore.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=134&products_ id=14
Just an example: There aren't many cheaper alternatives which will handle the power you propose.
Now, add Capacitors. Good ones will cost. Than add some more for 'experimental' caps, since you will doubtless want to change stuff around.

Now, 300 watts is a bunch of sub power. In a large enclosure you are thinking about, it'll be Ear Shattering........than it'll get LOUD.

Post some pics of what ever you come up with.

Andre.....Paging Andre........

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
i have 500 watts rms now, it is loud, but not loud enough for me, and the power i have now is from a 500 watt bash amp.
so their is no cheap way really to get power besides from a plate amp it seems.
but why would bridging down the behringer not work for bass? Its rated at 2400 watts rms i believe, the 4000 is just peak power

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
to continue on what i have now, i actually have 2 amps both are 250 watt bash amps, and they are 1000 peak but that doesn't matter, one sub is a 12 tuned low, like around 22 hz, mainly for the deep deep bass, and the other is a 15" sub tuned around 36 hz with a nice curve going up to 80 hz for the midbass.
I'm quite familiar with home audio, and i understand my set up now is quite loud, but i just always want more, now of course when listening to music i dont have the bass overpowering the music, it actually blends in very very well, i have plenty of power for my mains, 120 wpc from a harmon kardon.

but every now and then i just like to be loud, so that would be the reason for this, add a huge sub that can move lots of air, and use a huge enclosure too add even more to that.
Since i live in a house and not an apartment, I don't really bother anyone now

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1232
CW, among others, 2 things decide how loud it will play.
Amp power is the first.
Second is how good your speaker is at turning electricity into sound.

The rating is sensitivity. Strictly for making the most out of an amp, you need a 'higher' number. It is expressed as db/watt/meter. This is how many db (loud) at 1 watt input at 1 meter distance. Anything below mid 80s is low......like my panels. From say.....and this isn't carved in stone....87 to 95 is mid sensitivity. To get the most out of your amp, I'd be heading to the hi end of this measure. Somewhere above 95db.
For every 3db change in this number, it is like DOUBLING or HALVING your amps power. This adds up real quick. So, by building something only 6db more sensitive, you'll have the equivalent of 1200 watts from that 300 watt amp.
You're going to damage your house.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3988
And probably rattle your neighbour's knick-knacks off the mantle.

Making things loud just for the sake of being loud doesn't really make sense to me.

Am I getting old?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
i would be making my own driver, so i am well aware of subwoofers and how they work.
but you might just be getting old lol, what i have now easily flexes every window in the house, rattles cabinets and i can hear the vents on my roof rattle. sitting on the couch it easily knocks things off the armrest, and you can feel it shaking the whole couch.
But I just want much more, I guess you could say I enjoy 150+ db vehicles, never got to sit anything close to 160 yet, but i'm sure i would like it

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
im not worried about the subwoofer part at all, im just worried about the amp, and if it can properly work for the application i want to use it for, If I have to buy plate amps well, i can do that, but if theres a different and cheaper way I would rather do that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us