Mid-priced receiver to go with Mission m73s

I am on the verge of updating a 10-year-old Sony A/V receiver (lemme put it this way, the vid1 and vid2 inputs are labeled in the manual as used for Sony Betamax and Laserdisc!) to something new. I bought a pair of demo m73 towers and like their sound -- stereo music is more important to me than multi-channel music or movie effects -- but I'd rather get an A/V receiver so I can add surround speakers as I get the time/money.

I'm currently looking to demo the Denon AVR-2803, Onkyo TX SR701, and offerings from NAD (undecided on model), but are there other favorites out there?

Also, since Missions are so hard to find in the U.S., any thoughts on what surround speakers would match their sound, or am I a fool to consider multiple speaker brands in the same set-up?
Thanks!

Jim

AdamT
Hi Jim,

I've been doing similar research, and it appears that there are only two audiophile quality receivers in the $400-500 price range. One is the NAD T742 and the other is the Outlaw 1050. This is speaking purely in terms of sound quality, not features. Note that NAD has announced a successor to the T742 and it'll probably be available in the next 2-3 months. The Outlaw is three years old and so is missing some of the newer surround modes, like Pro Logic II. It's only available direct from Outlaw (http://www.outlawaudio.com).

The next tier seems to include units from Harmon/Kardon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon. Some would add Yamaha and Pioneer Elite to that group.

Hope this helps some. There's lots of great info. on this board, much of it generated by a very knowledgeable gentleman who goes by the name of Hawk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us