So I'm entering the HT world

Bronze Member
Username: Lnhiv

Tempe, AZ USA

Post Number: 18
I've been into car audio since I was 16, and now that I have my own home, I'd like to start building a decent HT setup.

I want to start by building a pair of front speakers, and work my way around the room from there. I already have a Yamaha RX-V467 which I just picked up last week. Currently I've got an old pair of PA cabinets that were just lying around hooked up to it. I want to stay budget-oriented, because I'm still a college student, but I still want decent quality and sound.

So on to the good stuff...I've been reading a lot about everything and here's what I've come up with so far for a simple 2-way setup:

Dayton DC200-8 8" woofer
Either the Dayton RS100T-8 4" full range or the Tang W3-1364SA 3" full range
Crossed over at 425 Hz with a simple 1st order Butterworth.

I haven't contemplated the box yet, other than I'll chamber the woofer separately from the full range and port it. Honestly idc how large or small the cabinet is anyways.

So what I'm looking for now is suggestions, reviews, ideas, etc when it comes to this. I can build a cabinet and a crossover with no issues...making a set of speakers work together in an environment I have no experience in is the issue I have.

Btw, the room is about 22' W x 12' D x 15' H, with about 40% of the tv wall not there cause it joins into the dining room.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14903

You can start with PartsExpress, they have a monthly DIY article.

You can also head over to the DIY forums; http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loudspeakers/

If you're looking for something more specific than a "vented" design, just place the description in a search engine. Most raw driver manufacturers and retailers also have articles and projects on their webpages.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15042
Why did you choose the Yamaha, Larry?

Bronze Member

Tempe, AZ USA

Post Number: 19
Thanks for that link...I've been reading that and PE's techtalk almost all day and last night lol.

Nuck: 4 reasons
1) price...got a good deal
2) That specific model has all of the features I wanted within my budget
3) The Denon I had blew in two days (it was used), but blown output transistors seem to be relatively common with Denon, and not so much with Yamaha...also, it was cheaper than the Denon
4) I like the way it looked...it pretty much matches everything else I have so far (tv, dvd player, tv stand, and it matches the BD I'm getting soon).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15047
So now, I would follow a mostly proven design, as you seem capable
I would look at a design with a stable impedence above 5 ohms, myself.

Bronze Member

Tempe, AZ USA

Post Number: 20
Thank you

Well, my 467 is good for 6+ohms, and honestly I want it to last a while...so I'm looking most at just that...6+ ohms (including xover, of course).

I've found three different designs that I really like so far:
1) The Tritrix/Triune '07 (same thing, different drivers...I'd be building the '07's). I would most likely build the TL's for my fronts, with the ported for the other three speakers eventually. The only problem (more of a gripe at this point) is the lack of LFE...mainly because I won't have the time/money for a sub for a while. Other than that, I love the design so far.
2) The Overnight Sensations. Love these guys...cheap, amazing, and simple. Same gripe as above though...lack of LFE until I get a sub or two.
3) The Dayton III's...now these seem to be the ticket for LFE and for still an amazing price. But I don't like the way they look that much, and I'm still quite unfamiliar with the effects of changing the cabinet...mainly because of diffraction and imaging issues that are so much more noticeable within HT than car audio.

So now I'm trying to find the best route to go from the above, or possibly just doing basic cabinet modifications to one of them after speaking with the designers. I'm still looking through other designs too, of course.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15054
Despertely flailing to find the link to Zigmahornets, and Jan's bi-pole varient!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14907

The dipole Hornets are my own "design", not much too it really after the original monopole work had been done.

Larry doesn't sound like a Zigmahornets kinda guy though to me.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1109/merrill_dca_4.htm

Bronze Member

Tempe, AZ USA

Post Number: 21
Thanks for the links Jan. You're right though...while definitely intriguing (I kinda want to put a pair in my office), the Zigmahornets just don't seem right for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us