70's Sansui Speakers

Username: Bump71

Post Number: 5
Hello - I recently acquired (garbage picked) two sets of late 70's Sansui Speakers in beautiful condition, (a set of Sp2500 and Sp3500) that I have hooked up to Hitachi 7500 series separates from the early 80's as a basement system. The system sounds fairly decent but I was wondering if the speakers would benefit from re-capping due to their age? As I was loading my find into the truck the former owner came out and told me that they hadn't been used in 25 years. I opened the cabinets and inspected the crossover and everything visually looks in good order. So what do you think just play them as they are or give recapping a shot and see if they improve? Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14882

Just play them. The OEM caps had 20% tolerances in the first place and the Sansui speakers are not hypercritical about this sort of stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1183
MINORITY OPINION:
If you are looking to improve the speakers, go with Jan's comment.
BUT, if you want to play around with some DIY on-the-cheap, some aftermarket caps wouldn't hurt. Something like Solen caps are minimum 'audiophile' while being fairly inexpensive as such items go. Many such aftermarket caps are 10% or even 5%, if that makes a difference. Some caps are bigtime expensive. By that I mean in the hundreds of $$$ per cap, in larger sizes.
If the crossovers are 'cap intensive' having like 4 or more per side, than also forget it. But of 2 or maybe 3 caps per speaker, you may want to give it a go.
Unless the speakers have been beat, and the voice coils stressed, the next thing to go will be the foam surrounds.....which is also fixable in the DIY fashion.
Have fun.

Username: Bump71

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice guys. I may give it a go if i get the itch for a project as I currently have zero dollars invested. The surrouds and everything about them are in really nice condition so it's really a toss up...I was mostly wondering if the caps were "done" given their age. Either way it was fun finding a freebe!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12693
I believe that many of the old Sansui speakers had cloth surrounds and that's why so may are still out there playing. Agree with Leo and Jan, play 'em and enjoy. As Leo pointed out though a recap may be fun and provide further benefits.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14894

I'm finishing my coffee and I've thought about whether I should say something here ...

The issues most manufacturers take with DIY upgrades is the lack of knowledge most people bring to the table when performing such acts. Capacitors are the most common upgrade in the vast majority of consumer aidio for many reasons. People will look at the cap's stated value of so many microfarads (or whatever the case might be) and they'll order a replacement cap based on that number alone. They do not take into account the actual "impedance" of the device. All passive components do have an impedance - a resistance, capacitance and inductance - beyond their stated value as a cap, resistor or coil. Even the cabling inside a speaker will contribute its own impedance to the overall values a good designer will take into account in the final prodcut.

Changing caps in 1970's Sansui speakers is not going to drastically alter the value of the crossover given the fact the OEM components were likely to be at 20% tolerance. However, the random replacement of passive components in a far superior speaker might actually do more harm than good.

As they say on TV, "Be careful out there."

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1196
Agreed about being careful....crossing the street.
But, and again a minority opinion, changing caps in a speaker of such advanced age? What do you have to lose? You aren't going to damage anything and you really can't hurt anything...except your wallet. A speaker with multiple caps in it all of 20% tolerance and 30 years old to boot could only be improved by a judicious recap.
Nah, I'd be real careful on expensive speakers, but on a couple sets of good condition found speakers? Have fun. I'd say to take decent notes, save all old parts and be careful.
Sure, every capacitor has resistance and inductance. No such thing as a 'pure' part.
I wouldn't let that stop me from experimenting.

The game changes if you were talking about some expensive or valuable speakers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14896

So?

You're advising against taking the 2010 Mercedes E63 AMG to the Demolition Derby tonight?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1199
If you can afford it, have at.
I'm sure the MB purists would be appalled, which alone would be a good reason to do it. I'll keep it in mind, if I ever win the lotto, bigtime. Wanna be in the crew?
I think it'd be fun. The best modern German Engineering vs a hoard of American Junkers. Wide World of Sports would want to be there. Do it at HalfTime at the SuperBowl. Fun for all with incredible ratings. Imagine the advertising....and the $$$!

I am, however, on record, as having said that I would approach any changes to my panels 'gingerly'. I haven't won the lotto yet.

Still got nuttin' to lose with the old Sansui s.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14897

I agree ... but, then, I've heard this model of Sansui speaker.

Username: Mrdegraw

Post Number: 1
New here. I just got a pair of the Sansui SP 2500s for free too. The cabinets need to be redone but the inside is in great shape. They do have the cloth surrounds as was earlier mentioned. Since I do woodworking I will redo the cabs but see no reason to mess with the stuff I don't know about. They do sound very large and good. I have read some blogs where some have replaced their Klipsch Hereseys with these and they like the sound much better. That surprised me as I had heard the Hereseys were sacred. Fired up an old turntable with a new digitrac styli and cartridge and it sounded great. All hooked up to a '79 Optonica receiver, which I bought new in '79, which maybe has a total of 10 hours on it. I am looking for new front grills for the SP 2500s if anybody knows where I can find them. Also, any info on where I can get vinyl/albums would help too. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15116
Mike, you found an entire vintage kit there.
Make the grilles.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us