Need information on ESS Speaker

Username: Thewizardofaz

Tucson, AZ United States

Post Number: 1
The speakers are quite rare. I bought them partly because of that, but I will have to restore the finish and grills. They are ESS HD12 Professional Series HEIL. I've contacted ESS, and they have some sales literature I'm trying to get, but wondering if anyone else has used or heard these.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 66
I bought a pair of Ess Heil AMT 1a back in 1975. They were "bookshelf" speakers, although quite large and heavy by today's standards for bookshelf/ standmounts (I would guess the dimensions were around 12wx22hx14d). Their weight was probably 35-40 lbs apiece. They had a 10 inch woofer and an Heil air motion transformer for the mids and highs. They were front ported. The enclosure was well crafted walnut veneer. I traded them in back in 2003. I wish now I would have kept them to use somewhere in the house. Oh well, in this hobby sometimes you learn the hard way.

Tucson, AZ United States

Post Number: 2
AMbookshelf not a bookshelf. They are over three feet tall,with a 12 once woofer, a 12 inch passive radiator, and a Heil AMT. They resemble an obelisk with the top part cut off. I have a pair.

Tucson, AZ United States

Post Number: 3
I have to learn to type on the iPad. What I was saying was that the AMT 1a is not a bookshelf speaker. They look as I described above.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I have seen the obelisk design. However, the ESS speakers I had were a large bookshelf design. I am almost sure the model number was AMT 1a. They were the last two the dealer had before the AMT 1b's were released. Of course that was years ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
BTW Richard, how are the woofer surrounds? Mine were foam and had to be replaced after awhile.

Tucson, AZ United States

Post Number: 4
Hey Bill,
I think you might have had a pair of tempests, but I could be wrong. Here's a link to some AMT 1 A

The woofer surrounds I think were changed not long ago. They are very soft, rubbery and pliant

http://jonespro.blogspot.com/2009/03/ess-amt-1a.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us