Need info/specs on older Cerwin Vega speakers

Username: Airmech859

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone.
Im new here and also let me say that im also new to the home audio stuff, but im starting to really get into it and enjoy it. Which leads me to my situation.
I have just purchased an old pair of large Cerwin Vega speakers for cheap. These speakers need some tlc, but while doing some research on them, i am coming up with nothing. There is cerwin vega all over it but no other numbers or anything to work with. They each are equiped with a 12" subwoofer, 5" mid & two 3.5x3.5 horn tweeters. There is a "M-80" on the tweeter/mirange adjustment panel. Dont know if that helps or not, didnt help with any of my searches online. The individual that i got them from was the original owner and says they bought them over seas (dont remember the country) 20+ years ago. Apologizes for the lengthy post, buy any thought and advise will be appreciated.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1229
Those look like mid 80's D-9's if I'm not mistaken. That and Google should get you the info you're looking for. Though not exactly "hi-fi", they do go LOUD.

Woofer surround kits to repair those are available for not a lot of cash and is relatively easy to do.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Stryvn. I will do some more research with that info. The woofer surrounds are not a problem, its the horn tweeters. All four tweeters are inop. I have done some troubleshooting and did find that it is the tweeters themselves that are bad. Do the tweeters on these models have a shorter life span than the others? Any ideas of where to look for these tweeters?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1168
tweeters having the lowest power handling capacity also 'burn' more easily when abused. Sometimes simply Too Much power or FAR more likely, TOO LITTLE and cranked up WAY too loud.
When you pull the woofer(s) to do the surrounds, you may want to look at the x-over, too. That might have been damaged in some fashion. Bulged capacitors or burned wiring are the clues. Also, there may be a distinctive smell......you'll know it when you smell it, if they were really cooked.

Post Number: 3
I have checked these items you have mentioned and there are no signs of damage or abuse. I didnt notice any smell either, other than the dusty smell . It seems as if its just a victim of age and not so perfect storage. I have done somemore searches on google with D9's and in the 80's time frame and i have found some that look similar but the dual horn tweeter accompanied with a midrange configuration i can not find. Is this an odd-ball model? Does this have anything to do with the fact that they may not have been puchased in the states?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us