System pics mkii, reference wiring

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14978
I canna seem to post on the previous 'system pics' thread, so opened this one.
I made a pickup this am. Placement needs work, but she is puurdy!

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12637
Looks good, Nuck. More details...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14985
Thanks Art, I will get it all a home soon.
Thats the MC402 power amp.
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-mc402-stereo-power-amplifier.asp

I picked it up today, after a week of waiting.

It is, quite literally, a very good Mac on steroids.

And the Gallos will eat the whole amp. Amazing!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14986
Currently using the MA6900 as a pre, that will change soon.
Looking for a 2200 or 2300 preamp, with balanced outs.

The 6900 really is a wonderful piece of work, it fails nowhere, and to me, it looks real good.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 641
Is this the new system pics thread?

Nice amp, Nuck. 400W min - is that all? LOL. Gotta hear some Mac gear one day, I bet it's really sweet. It definitely looks amazing. They've really captured a retro feel but at the same time it looks modern.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14987
Funny thing is, Dan, that Mac never changed, the times just came back! Not quite like bell-bottoms, but kinda...
Mac has looked like this since 1963. nice.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 445
Oh Nuck! That's the sh*t right there!

Congratulations! Ssssweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

You must post your impressions of how it all sounds! You must! Please?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3817
Now that you've got a 400 watt monster, get out and hear some ATCs! When powered right, they're easily the best speaker I've ever heard. Frank didn't like 'em; he described them as dull and uninvolving. That's how the sound without huge power behind them. With 400 Mac watts, they'll sound better than the Mani-2s IMO.

Trust me. Did I steer you wrong when I said get out and hear the BDA-1?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3039
Very nice Nuck!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14989
Dude, it is very heavy, Mac foot and a 1/2 deep, badass power amp.
Not perfect, by any means, with the 6900 as a pre, but I have the stuff near a load bering wall.
It all sooooo works together.
I have the nasty Dared cables in there now..lets say that I am looking in the bag O' snakes now.

The setup goes very loud, obviously

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3882
Very, very nice Nuck!

How did you get it out of your trunk?

This amp could have driven the Mani's.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14991
This amp could power a small automobile.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14992
Stuie, baby, I dig you on the ATC on power.
But I am getting hammer-holed into a room build, and I have to trust the Gallo delivery that I have going now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
I'd love to get a MC402 some time towards the end of this year. But I'm already making huge changes to my systems, as it is.

Gone are the Butler TDB 2250 (Well, has been for a while, now), gone is the Vincent SA-T1, gone are both Jamo C807, soon to be gone is the Wharfedale Opus 2.

Here to stay are the McIntosh C220, McIntosh MC252 and I just located a McIntosh C2200 tubed preamp.....brand spanking new, in a never opened, completely still sealed box. Sweeeeet!}

I ordered a pair of the Wharfedale Opus 3 v2 (in that beautiful cherry piano gloss finish), but it won't be in till early August. The cherry finish hasn't been shipped it to the USA. So it's a special order that will take Bob Springston (of Sound Import, LLC) till then to arrive and get them to my dealer.

You can see the Opus 3 v2 in that beautiful cherry piano gloss, here, in this very cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRTLqUzEtA&feature=related

The Wharfedale Opus 3 v2 are the next step up from the Opus 2 models. Each tower has 2-10" bass drivers, the one 3" dome midrange and the 1 1/4" tweeter.

I'm keeping the Jamo C809, Jamo C803, Jamo C607 and Jamo C603. Keeping both the C60 and C80 Center Channels; for now. Depending on what I decide to do with all three systems. Probably going to go to two 2 channel systems and one full HT. But haven't decided on which way to go, yet.

I'm also still considering the Sonus Faber Toy Tower or Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Concert Grand. The Vienna BCG is an one hell of a sweet speaker. But not sure I'm going to need another big boy like that.

With the Jamo C809, Wharfedale Opus 3 v2 and Jamo C607 already in the stable; I'm kind of all full on big towers.

The Sonus Faber Toy Tower may make more sense. Especially price wise, lol. Unless of course the VA BCG some how wins me over and convinces me the Jamo C809 are expendable. Which is going to be a tall order for them to fill; considering the cost of the BCG and how much I love all these Jamo speakers.

Making some changes to HT, too. Looking to replace my Integra prepro. Haven't decided to what yet, though.

The Oppo BDP-83 SE is on the shopping list. Probably very soon.

May try the Emotiva XPA-5 5 channel amp for HT. Since I'm not as nuts about HT as I am about two channel, lol.

Don't see how I can fit in a McIntosh MC402 before the end of the year. Would love to, but man, gonna' be hard.

The C402 would be killer with any of my speakers.

Or maybe just another MC252. That MC252 ain't no slouch, either. That baby is so sweet and it cranks!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3885
Holy crap NMT. You have some serious gear man.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14993
I was chasing that C2200 on A-gon too, NMT.
Have to keep looking for a 2200 or 2300.
Waiting on a callback for another Gallo subamp to mono block them.
Then comes the house addition, with proper listening room, finally!

Silver Member

Post Number: 447
I didn't get it off of Audiogon, Nuck.

Not yet, Dave. LOL. Still have more working, waiting and buying to do. Can't wait till I'm finished with it all.

I'm seriously content with the McIntosh preamp and amp combos. Those will stay for years to come. As well, the Van Alstine amp will stay just as long.

Although, I may ask Frank if I could trade in and upgrade my Fet Valve 500, to the current Fet Valve 550 Ultra+, next year.

The C2200, from eveyone I've talked to and all that I've read; was designed to match up with the MC352.

So do I pursue a MC352? Or hold out and save for a MC402? Or just get another MC252?

I'm sure the C2200 will work and match well with the MC402 or MC252. But would be nice to get the amp is was designed to work with.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14994
Mac sand amps are interchangeable for mating with a tube pre, IMHO.
The sensitivities are the same, same connectors, same widgets, mostly.
Voicing the 2200 with a 352 or a 402 isn't likely to matter much.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1150
Alls I gots ta say is Man O Mc Nuck....that is one colossus chunk of ear candy if I ever saw one....droolin man, all over....using a whole roll of Bounty to wipe it up. Crap...it's gonna sound fantastic with a tube front end...Congrats@!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15005
Thanks George.
The photo will be updated this weekend...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15006
UploadUpload

Gonna need more room soon.

This 831 is fresh from the shop with a new pickup, plus a hard to find spare. Dirt cheap. 9.0/10, OBMRPC and battery in the remote(dead), but I have it!

Canada Post, or the Great Pumpkin is due to arrive next week.

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3899
Very, very nice Nuck. Those Mac cartons take up some serious real estate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15007
I had to break down the outer boxes to fit in the Caddy!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3901
You know you're doing OK when you have to break down the McIntosh boxes to fit in the back of your Cadillac ;-) Cheers my friend!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3829
Lookin' good Nuck! There's nothing like Mac!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15008
Thanks, guys.
The player just kinda popped up, and I had to wait 2 months for it, but the guy was fairly straight up.

Stu, you are right, a Mac is just that.
All of the Mac amps that I have run here, and listening closely to a bunch of setups, Mac is as even across the bord as ya get.
For so many products to deliver the same house sound so consistantly, is a good thing, in TO amps.

My only nit is absolute power output. Other amps (Classe) drive longer. This 402 will sound very close to the amp stage of the MA6900, but louder, I sensed no more agression or attack with the 402 over the integrated, which is what I paid for.

The power figure comes from a WOT test against the guard lights.The subamp is 9/10. This amp is one, which finally, can overrun the Gallos. Cleanly.

N.B. this test was conducted with the side window open, my dear neighbor loves most of the music that eminates from here. The volumes involved likely predisposed her to some exposure, possibly in her living room.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12684
Keeps getting better, Nuck. Looks great too!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15012
Thanks Art. I guess I just kinda bought into Mac wholesale, not the first guy to do so, with the inevitabal results.
The player will look nice in the stack.
As far as I can tell (all that matters) this is either a shrewd purchase by a guy that has overpaid before, or it could be a call for help.
I love this game!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3832
Nothing wrong in my book with buying wholesale into Mac. The only help you need is getting more time to spend with 'em!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3904
New pics as requested:

Upload

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15016
Nice looking amp, Dave!

Use a coaster...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3906
Haha. Took me a second to get that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3907
You can see the empty place on the rack under the amp where my CDP should be. This pic was taken back before I got the Jolida back for repairs. Using my Laptop and a cheap DAC as a source. Not nearly as good sounding as the Jolida CDP for sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3044
Nice Nuck!!! Nice David!!

Nuck, whats with MAC Player?lol. If your getting rid of the Bryston DAC I got first dibs. I could use a second one. First though let me set it up via Optical and dial it in for you remotely for a fair comparison. Get off the USB crap.lol hehe

David- Hows it sound compared to the Jolida? I see those used for under a grand on CAM and they seem to review well.

Nuck, lift with your legs man...lift with your legs.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3908
The Jolida had tighter bass, but was less resolved. The new GF blows the Jolida out of the water as far as build concern goes. It's much heftier and solid feeling. The stock tubes that come with the GF are bottom of the barrel (as opposed to the tubes that came with the Jolida - they were actually quite good), and this may be a limiting factor.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12686
Nice pics, David...keep at it. As Nuck said, do some experimenting with the GF before you get choose the next level up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3910
I may incrementally upgrade the tubes, assuming the unit survives it's initial break-in period.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15019
Nick, that is an MVP831, an will serve as a pretty back-up player in the stack. Optical and SP/DIF outs, if I happen to find an s-video cable, I will try the dvd player as well.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12687
There is that.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15020
I really just bought it on a whim, cheap, but it will match the preamp (on the way).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3047
cool stuff. I bet the system is pumping! Cant wait for that pre to come. Wicked!

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 183
Upload

Rack is finished
40mm extruded aluminum verticals
Gallo subamp resting on Ubatuba Granite base
1.75" solid Maple for the Cary
Saturn is resting on .375" glass
Each section is free standing
Spikes fit into mating discs recessed into 1.75" Maple stands.
Each level isolated with .125" neoprene above & below shelf

Sound quality vastly improved, I am literally surprised by the change

I take requests

apologize for lack of photo quality ... iPhone pic, photobucket manipulated

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3924
That's a nice amp Bryan. The Cary is on my short list of tube amps to get someday.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12700
Looks good, Bryan. All level I hope.

David, is that GF I see on Agon.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3927
It is... I put out there just to see what kinda of bites I get. Listening to it last night for awhile and I'm starting to warm up to it. I left it playing for hours to continue breaking it in, and to my ears, it started sounding a lot better. I also switched to the 4 ohm taps and it actually sounded better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15036
Well done Bryan! very good!

Fishing, Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3930
Fishing yes, but becoming less interested in doing so.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15044
I gotta get this stuff sorted out and on a real stand.

Upload

The 6900 is kinda sold, after I put LED's in it.
Upload

Good thing I live alone.

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3950
Lots of Mac going on there.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12744
You do indeed need to get it sorted out and on a stand.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15045
Now tearing it apart! eep! back strain in my near future.

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
Love seeing the Macs!

How's it all sounding, Nuck?

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
I ordered the VTI BL Series 3-Shelf Rack (BL503), last week. With the black posts and gold caps. Supposed to be here today.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=VI1000

But I also ordered the VTI BL503 Additional Shelf ( 9" High ), with it. So that gives me eight shelves for components. Or six shelves for components and the top shelf for my 42" Plasma. Depending on what I eventually decide to do with the TV. Either hang it on the wall or place it on the top shelf of the rack. With the extra shelf, it will be roughly 33 to 34" high.

I had consulted with a guy who does custom builds for entertainment centers or racks. And he initially gave me a very generous quote on it. But once I sat down and drew up the design/schematics; he calculated how much wood, time and manhours it would take. And the price almost tripled.

Of course I spent several hours drawing (over a two week period) up the schematics and spent almost two weeks thoroughly thinking it over. The dimensions and design of every aspect and detail is designed to accomodate every individual piece gear's own individual dimensions, provide plenty of ventilation/airflow, allow easy access to cables and dusting/cleaning, accomodate the vertical center channel(C803) and also look good. I really went all out and thoroughly designed it to great detail. So I understand why the price shot up.

But I already have too many balls in the air right now, as I'm making big changes to my systems in terms of amplifiers, preamp processor and so forth: I'm going with mostly Mac gear.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15046
NMT, you are in the kinda same boat as me.

Lots of people say Mac is too much money and stuff, but man, it...gets...in...your...ears, and blood.

Wait till this badboy is balanced and running in 2 hrs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
hell yeah, Nuck!!

McIntosh is addictive. It absolutely gets in your blood....goes to your ears and straight....to your heart.

And then, it's all over

I've been buying one piece at a time, for a year now. Takes a while to save for and I've been slowly selling a lot of my other gear.. But it's all worth it in the end.

Comparatively speaking, the McIntosh gear I have really isn't as expensive as a lot of other "Hi-End" gear out there.

BTW, I'm keeping my Rega CD Players

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15048
A clean and pleasing supply can make any speaker better.
I have played crap speakers to their limits with various Mac's. People are amazed what a cement block or stand, with some good power will do for say, an Atom speaker. Any small speaker, really.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
It's here............
Upload
Upload

The Rack...that is.

The FEDEX guy brought the boxes around back and came to the back door.

Still working. Only had time to take a few quick pics of the boxes, on the back hallway. I'll open it up and start putting it together......later. Maybe tomorrow, at the latest.

And here's one of my Walls Of Gear, as we were getting work done on the house

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3951
You opening your own audio shop there NMT?

Silver Member

Post Number: 452

No, I have three systems in my house and we were having some work done to the house (new carpets and so forth). So I had most of the gear stacked up in one corner and my amps in the closet. No one wanted to stack the MC252 and other amps for me. So had to put those sliders underneath it and push them

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15049
Familiar malady(melody) known as Mac-back.
Nice storage unit, NMT!

The shipping crates are a bich to store here.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3952
The downside (if any) of owning Mac.

Where to store the boxes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
The attic and we have a reasonably large wooden storage unit outside. So a little here....a little there. Only problem is going to retrieve all the boxes when you need them, to do stuff like put in new carpet.

And of course trying to move the amps around. Man, they are heavy! I can't move that stuff because of my back (car accident). So it helps to have great friends who help. otherwise, I'd be out of luck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15050
Well, that's as far as I can go, the player does not fit in the stand.
The stand is glad to be rid of the 90 lb MA6900, but yields little depth to the C46 preamp, which shaves a tad uner 1" in depth. Darn.
Next up is 500lbs. of maple and a French-Canadian guy.

UploadUpload

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12749
Lookin' improved!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3953
You need another rack Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15052
Thanks, Art. I am tapped for space.
The C46 preamp, fully balanced has made a huge difference in the presentation here.
Everything is just bigger, I am tempted to dial back the mids just a bit, but strong mids and vocals, especially at low volumes are just so effortless, I will just keep the dial in the low green for a while.

I know you didn't like the Gallo's before Art, but you might give them a second listen here when you are in the hood?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12750
Oh Mr Nuck, I think you misunderstood. That is probably my fault. I like the Gallo's for all of the very good things that they do, much like I appreciate Maggies for all of the fabulous things they do...I don't like Cerwin Vega. Gallo's are great speakers. For my listening I simply prefer DeVore and Harbeth...they fit my needs wonderfully.

I've dialed my system in so well now that it's just heavenly. Whether I'm playing vinyl or digital I get a full sound that is 3 dimensional, with textural detail and accurate timbre around every instrument. Piano is full and percussive, brass starts and stops with wonderful attack and decay as well as the appropriate shimmer in the middle. Different Cymbals are easliy discernable and every percussion instrument has it's own signature sound. Both low level resolution and wide dynamic swings are served with equal panache...this is nearly as good a sound as I've heard in a system. I'm pleased. The cherry on top was the FIM wall receptacles which brought way more improvement than I would have anticipated...good stuff maynard!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15056
Thats awesome Art!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 659
I'm not sure these pics convey just how big the RX2 really is...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 660
And now the PMC...

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3956
Nice pics Dan. I'd be really interested in hearing those MA's man!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12779
I like those PMC's. The Audiolab looks cools as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15065
Good stuff Dan!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4015
The new SET amp.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4016
and some more!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4017
These pics where before I upgraded the EL-34s to Gold Lions and added better 12AX7s. The stock 300 bottles and rectifier seem to good. Good thing, the 300's are rather pricey.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15099
Good lookin' amp Dave!!!

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1162
Alls I can say Dave is ....smokin'

That baby has got some curves - I'm sure she's hot too. LOL.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4018
It'll be great in the winter George. It's a space heater.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12859
Nice pics, David!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4021
Thanks Art. I l like the one with the tubes a-glowin'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3074
Fantastic looking amp David. I bet it sounds smooottthh.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 948
Definitely a looker Dave. If it sounds as good as it looks......

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4023
It does sound pretty sweet fellas.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15107
So...the wharfedales are plugged back in, after months in storage here, at my Bro's place.
One speakers is screwed, for some reason.
So I have him using a spare set of Gallo's and brought these back here.
The meter reads .4ohms across the posts, so i take them apart to see.

Upload

Here is the driver, a 7.4" jobbie, with 38oz magnet , carbon fibre cone.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15108
i cant seem to load any other pics

I have the whole teardown

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15109
Upload

Her is the XO, mounted straight through the bass driver hole, 2 screws in 4 spaces. The ins power comes from the TB in the bottom, via an unceremonious corner hole straight into the lower chamber. The remaining area is sealed against the lower cab via a cross mounted shelf/brace. Sound good, right? Well...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15110
Upload

Here is a near filed of the bracing. There is a 3mm gap with the brace held by glue alone. This knuckles not so very goodlike...

The final issue turned out to be the speaker posts, one was loose enough to twist under thumb pressure and short.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1267
So far, so good.
Unless bracing and shelf thickness are simply inadequate or poorly sealed. Is the hole feedthru to the crossover properly sealed?

What else could be wrong? 2 caps. 2 inductors, and a resistor?

And, for all you speaker DIY types out there, the pair of inductors are mounted at right angles to minimize interactions.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15111
the thru hole is a rough cut, Leo, no porting.
Agreed that the crossover at least follows stable design 2nd order.

The speakers themselves present a bass heavy delivery, with good power handling, and a non-descript .75" tweeter.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 706
Hey guys, I took some pics of my new Apollo 35th...posting some pics of my older gear too as they turned out really nice. Especially the pics of the Quad speakers.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 707
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Points go to anyone who can recognize which album is leaning against the wall in the upper right corner of the last pic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12910
Nice pics, Dan.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4066
suh-weet! Nice speakers Dan.

Like the Cambridge gear :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15150
great pics Dan.
Especially all the stands!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15196
The mono Gallo amps are now in the middle of the insufficient rack.

Mono active amps have made this setup sound so much different in the bass and lower midbass that I think I am using less power to the subs than before.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15197
If this forum gives me one more error message for a pic, I will give up.

Brian, for Gawd sakes, can't you go to a less clunky POS?!?

I am begging you brother, please.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4093
This is really ancient BBS software Nuck. Uses CGI and Perl scripts for the love of dog. I'm surprised it even really works at all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15198
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4094
I need my magnifying glass.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15199
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15200
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4095
Its kinda hard to see. Can you make them bigger, and maybe bump up the resolution?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15201
You are killing me Dave.
Remember who cooks the ribs this weekend.

This is the setup for now, with mono sub amps, and a lonely MC402 amp. sad, really.

The subamps are via romex 14/3, with the white one flying on both ends, cause it looks like a flag or ice cream colour or something.

The stereo subamps are a revelation in more than the expected way.
Yes, the bass is outstanding, it always was, but this arrangement allows me to dial back the level a bit to expose the mids a little more.
Everything is always flat, of course, but this setup just pushes the lower midbass to new levels, as exposed, and enjoyed with Queen /races, then /Opera.
Just astounding space and depth in my humble hole.

The bass is never (never was) a waste, or a rumble.
The way that these speakers integrate has ever been in question, as evidenced by the several owners here.
The way the Gallo's deliver bass..in very linear fashion,with as sharp as the 24Db XO allows (as selected) is stellar. This is my opinion, it may, or may not, be shared.

When the lunacy and the capabilities are expanded, things get kinda funky.
Running split L/R from the C46 on pre outs to mono bass amps is, really, a blast.
The depth is absolutely amazing, the sound moves with more liquidity than ever before.
The subs are crossed at 50Hz.

this is a completely different animal, and I am Marlin Perkins sending Jim into the fray.

Outstanding.
Fabulous.
big time 'whoa' factor

cool beans.

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
Dan L.......

Seven words......

Never stack gear. Get a friggin' rack

But I like the pics! Nice!

Nuck,

What are those two components under the Mac?

Brand/model and what are they? Stereo subamps?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3915
They're the Anthony Gallo sub woofer amps. Nucko can explain further.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4096
Hopefully BIL is cooking the ribs.

But your gear is enviable Nuck, that's some serious gear there. I'm getting by with my mid-fi gear right now, but I'm sufficiently satisfied with what I have have.

The new DACMagic is very sweet sounding but had dropped the signal twice tonite over 5 hours listening. Disconcerting? A bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
BTW......You guys were so right.

That VTI Rack was a piece of ****.

I hated it. Crooked legs, crooked brass caps on top of the legs. Horrible garbage. I called them up and told them this was unacceptable.

I thought I could live with it for a while, but I couldn't. You were right, they ring like crazy and their build quality is a trainwreck. They sent me a whole replacement BL503 and that one had bent legs and crooked brass caps, too. That was it for me.

I called them up and told them to send FEDEX over here and pick up the garbage and take it out of here.

I got all of my money back. But they only wanted one rack frame back. The only one that wasn't bent.

They didn't even want the dark cherry shelves back.

So I packed all the spikes, all the brass footers and that one rack frame and FEDEX picked it up.

But they don't want the rest of it

So I have to wait for Bulk Garbage Day, before I can put it out with the garbage.

The dark cherry shelves are actually nice. Thin, but nice. So I think I'll keep them and maybe incorporate them into soemthing I have that guy build for me. They're soem kind of high density, s trong MDF with real wood veneers. Would be a shame to toss them in the garbage.

Now I think I'll just save for a while, have that guy build me one and also get one of those SAMSON V.2 or V.3 Rosewood racks, sold by Mapleshade.

I don't want to fiddle around with this cheap rack nonsense, anymore. Waste of time and effort.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4097
Wow. Sorry to hear about the rack. At least you're getting money back NMT. Do you have a fireplace? Maybe you can use the shelves as firewood?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15203
Lay on the couch,NMT.

The chintzy stand is a standard Quadrispire.

It even held up 110lb Mac, on the top.

Nice stand, not deep enough.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12940
Craigslist NMT...dump 'em on the list. Somewhere there is someone with a Yorx awaiting an appropriate rack...lol!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12941
For gear like mine the Quadraspire is very nice...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15204
Don't know about price at all Art, but I shelled 450$ to my door, and figgur thats fine.
The rack looks like a regular diy (albeit with really grippy posts, everyman is He-man), but it just works better than crap stuff.
I have had a lot of weight on the stand, and the spikes pireced the carpet well enough to get some wood underneith, on all 4 points.
Credit Mac for that.
The load is much lighter now, but the foundation is still very solid.

If this stand was on points on a very solid floor, it would still be fine.

For gear like Art's, on a wood floor, the stand would balance and null pretty easily, albeit with 4 feet to adjust.

The quadrispire came int o my room quite by accident, I was drunk and bought it online. It happens.

But since the new stand was replacing a 5/8 of an armoir, which I had hacksawed to fit, I was confident in the upgrade.

I would rather like to try this stand on a solid wood floor.

I recommend the stand for price paid.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1364
How you cookin' them ribs?.
I'm from Chicago where it's done right.
Under NO circumstances are ribs to be pre-cooked, like on a stove or boiled or any of that stuff.
Use a dry rub and a real charcoal grill, cooking Indirect. A good smoker is also allowed. But not a cheesy one or ANY gas grill.
Get a standing rib rack. BBQ sauce in my house is a condiment, not something with which to ruin a grill.
I've had the same grill grate on my grill for close to 30 years. And have worn out 2 Webers. Wish I could afford a 'Big Green Egg'.
Optional is a good blast of beer-soaked wood chips....Oak, Mesquite, Apple, Hickory and many other. Also optional would be a good marinade for a couple days before grilling......

Yum Yum

Post a pic! I'm hungry already and will bring the beer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15207
Leo, my sis and BIL are national Grand Champions and are invited to the Jack every year.
They have 9 grills/smokers, and the big cabinet will do 25 full racks, or 62 chickens.
They rep smokinlicious wood chip products nationwide.

We will post food pics!

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
They already refunded all of my money. I just don't know what to do with these racks. I sent all the spikes back to them and the brass footers (the spikes rest in), to Racks and Stands.

I'm sure if I looked around I could find thoise spikes for cheap.

But still, I would feel weird...crooked guilty in selling them after getting my money back. I don't feel right doing that. I'll just wait for Bulk Garbage Day and put it out for them to take.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1366
Send me some table scraps.
NOW.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 189
I prepare spare ribz two different ways.
My preferred ... dry rub with numerous spices & brown sugar.
Horizontal barrel smoker with charcoal in a firebox, water pan beneath the ribs, about 2 hours cooking time.
Have several apple trees in the yard providing a bit more flavor.
Family's preferred .. ribz are cut up, par boiled with multiple spices for 45 minutes, then grilled to brown with BBQ sauce. Then they're double wrapped in foil with a bit of Italian Dressing and put in the oven @ 250 F for about 90 minutes, rotated every 15.
Meat can be sucked off the bone if it doesn't fall off. So tender that a few years back, I had oral surgery in the morning (general anesthesia for that), brought home and slept off the drugs and ate leftovers that afternoon.
I've had great ones in Memphis, but best to be had IMO are at Letha's in Hattiesburg, MS.
Then again .. I don't get up north.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12945
Give them away then NMT. But someone could use them and the garbage seems quite the waste.

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
That's a good idea. But who wants these racks with crooked legs, crooked caps and no spikes?

Well, I guess I could just put them on the Clist and see if anyone wants them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15209
Set it up yourself in a hospital ward or old folks place.

I will donate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15216
That's a good idea. But who wants these racks with crooked legs, crooked caps and no spikes?

We call that the Senate up here....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15217
Stu, thanks for noticing and forwarding the subamp thing.

The Gallo SA is a monoblock amplifier which has been modified to perform stereo duties.
In mono-amp form, the unit delivers 600W into a dedicated, stable 4 ohm load, via the active XO.

In stereo, the addition of another subamp made a huge, and I am not overstating things, HUGE difference in the seup here!
The stage garnered more depth, and pressed the vocalist to the fore.

i did not expect nything like this...at all.

Pigman came over, like always, and he was just as floored as me.
It ain't just a bass thing, but granted, the bass can come hard and so very very fast.
The whole stage is opened as wide as my little walls can hold.

I would love to have this setup in Wodek's cave. MaybeA/B with his tubes...

Just a smokin' deal going on with the new setup guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3119
"The new DACMagic is very sweet sounding but had dropped the signal twice tonite over 5 hours listening. Disconcerting? A bit."

Interesting, How you running it David? USB/Laptop or Optical/Jolida?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1368
David,
By 'dropping out' what exactly do you mean? A simple gap in the output? or something more serious like a squeel or other noise?
The 2nd would to me, be a clocking problem at the source end.

Maybe the DacMagic mutes when it loses clock lock?

In any event, that is a real bummer. If you have access to an Apple Airport Express, please try the DacMagic there, too. See if the dropout thing is worse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3120
I know if you try to throw surround sound into the dac, it makes a beep and then stops.lol. That would explain the losing clocking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3121
I believe David is traveling to Nucks this morning. Have fun boys!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4100
Yup, I'm heading out to Nuck's this afternoon, and bringing the DAC to try out there.

Leo, what was happening was the sound would temporarily mute for second, and the incoming sampling rate indicator would shut off. I'm connecting the DAC to my Jolida CDP via a digital coax cable. Haven't tried the USB input yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15219
Leo, weren't you getting some dropout from a wireless setup there before?

We will try all the connections possible on the CA unit tonight, and A/B with the Bryston.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1374
What I would get from my Airport Express->CA840 was not a dropout but was a real 'harsh' screeching sound. The sound kind of reminded me of a fingernail on a chalkboard.

I'd call CA and find out if there are software updates available for the DacMagic. To the extent that the 2 CA pieces share circuitry or something else, I'd be concerned.

The AE has known clock jitter issues. If your DacMagic does it with the Jolida, I'd take the DacMagic back and start over.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15222
We will try it here to see if it has any yips. Might be cable/interface related
or a power cord or something

Damn, we need Nick here tonight, but he is on Wedding duty.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15225
The ribs are going on a Treager pellet fired smoker, graciously provided by the Kind folks at smokinintheigloo

3 full racks should do, dry rub all, then sauce 2 of em at closing time.

about 4 hrs

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15227
I have given up on pics here.
Sorry guys.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15228
I think my toilet roll holder, which plays "I'm a little teapot" has more computing power that this site, even if Brian can use a slide rule.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 717
NMT, I'd love to add a rack for my amp and sources, but it's not going to happen in this room. Whenever the next move happens I'll make sure I can add one. I'm liking my Ref 3A speaker stands though!

Nuck, what happens when you try to upload pics? I never seem to have a problem. I use Nero to resize pics (does a great job, just set the largest side to 600), and then save and upload. I doubt it's the browser, but could you try using a different one? Especially if you are using IE, which I think we've established before takes an eternity to load pages. My main problem with the pics here is that you can go no larger than 600x600. I've posted my pics on another forum and they fill up the entire screen and look so much better. Actually, I think just about every forum but this one is like that.

Hopefully the rain isn't ruining your BBQ!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 718
I would love one of these from Harmonic Resolution Systems. Only $9K!!!

http://www.avisolation.com/images/MXRAudioStand_new.jpg

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12952
http://www.boxfurnitureco.com/products.html

Just sayin'!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 719
Still too expensive!

This is more in my wheelhouse: http://www.needledoctor.com/Target-CL430-4-4-Shelf-Audio-Rack-Real-Wood-Venneer- Shelves-Metal-Tubes

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 991
It would be a cold day in h-e-double hockey sticks before I'd double my total investment in my system (or more) for an audio rack. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the benefit is realizable with 10% of the investment.....and a little research and some elbow grease. If I had money falling out of my wazzu then perhaps I'd think differently......but last time I checked......

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 720
"It would be a cold day in h-e-double hockey sticks before I'd double my total investment in my system (or more) for an audio rack."

The solution is obvious. Buy a more expensive system and then the audio rack will only be a small fraction of the total cost.

But seriously, I agree. I think the mega buck racks are perfecting a job largely accomplished by something much cheaper. If I can do better than that Target rack I will, but in all honesty just getting real wood in a rack that is well built overall and looks more expensive than it actually is, and also does a decent job in terms of isolation, that would work for me and fits in terms of my overall system budget.

Don't get me wrong though, the more expensive stuff is surely better. That HRS rack looks tons more solid than the Target model, and I'm sure everything that went into it was with performance in mind.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12956
The Box Furniture Company rack is the best sounding I've ever heard...that said I won't have the money for one for quite sometime and will likely buy a nice Quadraspire Q4 Evo and call it a day. My system is performing so well that a new rack will just be icing on the cake. The only other thing I will upgrade soon is the phono pre amp, probably from my Nano to a Dynavector P75 Mk II...not even sure about that as the Nano sounds damn good.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 721
I'll take a look at Quadraspire. I know next to nothing about audio racks so any brand recommendations are helpful.

I'm pretty satisfied overall now too. Other than getting a Speed Box and Acryl-It platter for my table, I may start to dabble in isolation and damping. Anyone have any experience with damping plates that sit atop components? HRS makes these and they seem to be quite affordable. The Nimbus Couplers and Spacers also look interesting.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/hrs_nimbus_damping_plates_followup.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us