Sony str-se491 receiver

Username: Heyttown

Post Number: 3
I have the sony str-se491 stereo receiver, awhile back we had a parking lot party, and I took my stereo down to the lot and hooked it all up for the party... This system has been used before for other parking lot parties which use a portable generator for power..I guess we have gotten lucky the previous times we have used it like this, but not so lucky this last time. Something internal got fried, when we turned on power. (im guessing the voltage wasnt up to par just yet when power button was pushed) Unit turns on but and makes a "clicking" noise when power is pushed but nothing lights up and no sound of course.. Ive heard without digging to deep inside this thing that the "outputs" were probably fried.. Any thoughts on this, and is it worth trying to replace these "outputs"? this unit would be for my garage, but I would hate to throw it away for a $20 part that I can fix myself (possibly)?

What should I do?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14845

Why is it everyone who cannot diagnose an amplifier problem believes they can fix it themself for only a few dollars if only someone would tell them exactly what to replace? If all these repairs only cost a few dollars, why do you suppose the shops charge so much?

The best fix, here, replace the receiver. Mass market stuff is not worth fixing as it was not built to be fixed, only replaced. That's their plan and you fell for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14962
I am surprised the Sony did the lot party more then once.
You must have efficient Cerwin Vega or Klipch speakers.

Stop doing that to receivers.Buy a clunky Crown amp or something for real kick in the guts power that lasts better for abuse.

Long live the lot party!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us