NAD T973 amp

Username: Rider2008

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi, First post here.
Bought this amp on speculation a few years ago, and have not even hooked it up yet. I thought about bridging 2 channels together to get some extra power (and possible current??), for powering some Magnepan 4 ohm speakers. The support people at NAD tell me that bridging with the T973 is not possible. Must be because the channels are all separate and discrete.
So, are any forum members using this amp to power Magnepan or other current hungry 4 ohm loads, and any problems ???.
Also, any comments on the fan noise that I have read about, or neat technology used to reduce the fan noise????.
Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1132
How much 4ohm power is the NAD?

Anything over about 100 / side will do for MMG or 1.2s I'd go up depending on use, size of room and listening habits.

Maggies are NOT a difficult load. Sure, they are low sensitivity which is made up for in part by the dispersion pattern and the fact that they are usually quite a moderate phase angle.

Have you tried it? Since you already own it, I suspect you've got little to lose. If, based on your listening habits, it runs Too Hot, or simply lacks the guts, than you can move on, but until than, whatcha' got to lose?

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Leo,
The NAD runs at 140wpc x 7, into 8 or 4 ohm. The Dynamic power is 390W in 4 ohm for short period.
I will try it, and I will also try my MF A3.5 integrated 2 channel amp for the Maggies also. It puts out 150wpc/8 ohms and 240wpc/4 ohms.
So either way, I should be able to piece together a usable system for 2 channel and my HT.
Thanks for the help

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14942
The MF should make the NAD seem dull and lifeless.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3857
NAD dull and lifeless?

get out.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1135
Just listen to the amps and decide what you like best.
Nuck / David.....take it outside!

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
To all,
Thanks for the advice, I will use it well. These are my plans:
For HT: I am connecting a Panny BD80 to a Yamaha 1065 (using as a pre-pro), then using the preouts from the Yamaha to the 7 channel NAD. I think I will biamp the 2 fronts and connect the center and rears with the remaining 3 channels. The 5 speakers will be the Paradigm Signature 1 series, which I have.
For stereo in a separate room: I will use the 2 channel analog out from the Panny BD80 for CD's and hook up my iPod to the Yamaha (to use the better DAC's), then both these will be connected to the MF A3.5 integrated amp. This system will be inplace until I obtain a music server/DAC arrangement. The speakers have yet to be determined, possibly some Magnepans (not sure what models I would be able to power with the MF amp, or a nice monitor, or even a small tower. Any suggestions on good listening speakers, I do not need to hear every nuance or detail, just good quality music with a price tag of around $1500 - $2000???.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14949
Myles, hang on man.
Take a look at the wiring issues that you have coming up.
Long runs, various sources, some that may be a patch job.
Beyond the $ issue, why not look into a M/C and DAC right now?

Lots of builders out there, but one in particular that I recommend

The Media Center can route 7.2, rip BD, and multiplex to fill several systems.
Auto video, upscale you to Star Trek, everything.

Just saying...
Canadian company...member here...Nick?

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Nick,
Thanks for the advice. I will look in to this when I move into my new house that will have rooms better suited for what I want.

Would you supply me with a link to the MC that you prefer.

As far as wiring, don't forget that I have 2 separate systems in 2 separate rooms. The HT will have a HDMI cable from the Panny BD to the Yamaha receiver, and then 5 short interconnects to the NAD amp and 1 cable to the sub. Not so bad??

The 2 channel system has only 2 cables from the Panny to the MF integrated for CD play, and 2 cables from the Yamaha receiver to the MF integrated for Ipod play, again not so bad???.

Basically the HT will be in the basement and the 2 channel in the living room, no discrete listening rooms, all just for recreational lounging and listening, with no elaborate room treatments planned at the present time.

Thanks Myles

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14954
Sorry, Myles, I mis-interpreted your 2 seperate systems. That's a nice option, indeed.

http://www.sourceavtech.com/

Nick owns the thing, he will check in here.
I love the capability of the machine, but I use just the hi-fi based specifics myself, with a Bryston bda-1 DAC.
The MC has multiple hdmi, analogue outs (with a new release soundcard, in any format), can operte in dual zone.
It can be operated by any combination of handheld or keyboard remote. (I use both, the keyboard is great for searches when tipsy, type in something even marginally coherent and the machine will find a match.
There is an audio input option, that we will persue, to sing a song, or lyric, to a mic, and the thing will find the real song.

In stereo

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3860
"type in something even marginally coherent and the machine will find a match."

lol, I love that.

I'm not familiar with MF stuff, but as far as recommendation for speakers, I'm a big fan of Totem speakers. The A3.5 would drive some Sttafs or even some Hawks very nicely.

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 5
David & Nuck & I guess all others,
When I sat back and thought "What a stupid question to ask about the speakers". I have been surfing around speaker sites and looking at used speaker boards (ie: CAM, audiogon, etc), for months now, reading reviews, checking prices, etc. I probably have done more checking that what is listed on the speaker forum.
So, Please do not waste your valuable time trying to answer that question.

Nuck, thanks for the MC site.
David the MF A3.5 integrated is a neutral amp that has a hint of tube-like quality. I asked one retailer in the US his opinion of the A3.5, and was told that it was "one of the brightest amps made by MF", whatever that means???.
AlL I know is that it pairs very well with my Paradigms at the moment, and when I go to listen to some speakers, it will be along with me.
Thanks for the time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us