Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II DIY Fix

Username: 24803202

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have the above speaker system which I have had from new. A problem has just come to light (since upgrading my AVR to the Denon AVR 1910), that is the "sub" is not generating much if any bass freqs. I am going to connect the acoustimass module to my old amp and put some test tones through it to prove or disprove the module. If as I suspect it does not put any bass out is there a common fault with these units? As they are passive I cannot see much to go wrong with them. Just so you know the exact speaker system I have provided a link below.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/Acoustimass%2010%20Series%20II%20Speaker%20Sy stem_tcm6-4050.pdf

I would appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer.
Regards

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1106
How much real 'bass' you gonna get out of the Bose, even assuming it is actually working?

Post Number: 2
Leo,
Thank you for your constructive and informative response.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1111
Sorry, fella, what did you expect?

If you want some more help, here it is.

Check receiver setup. I'm not a HT guy, but you can select speaker type from some menu. That will change the bass management characteristics. Speakers are usually called 'large' or 'small'.
I don't think you can break anything by doing some receiver adjustments. Just remember where you started or how to 'reset' the whole thing.

The Bose unit is 'active' which means not only does it plug into your receiver but the wall as well. This means the darn thing has a couple boards in it crammed with electronic components. That's why Bose has such a lucrative flatrate program. They'd just swap boards out/in and let 'er rip. Since you have some output, the drivers themselves are probably in decent shape.

I'd check phase, too, if possible. If you have the module and speakers wired out of phase, you will have a bass suckout and poor bass with no weight or impact. I don't know how the satellite speakers wire into this, but is it possible to swap relative phase on the bass module and satellite speakers? Just swapping the wires on the satellite from plus to minus on all of them would be the test.
And while you're back there, check for cat-chewed wires and for any crossed or stray wires. take a good look.

Does it smell funny? Not kidding here. If some electronics went south that could also account for the problem. Poor response not NO response tells me the internal fuses are still intact.

Sorry, Brian, Bose 'don't get no respect', in general around here. There are a few pros who may be along shortly with more product specific answers, but I'd pursue the above for now.

Post Number: 3
Leo,
Cheers for the second response. I am fully aware there are a lot of people who do not like Bose, I respect that.

Unfortunately when choosing my audio equipment (in conjunction with the wife) it is a fine balance between performance and aesthetics, obviously she gets the deciding vote.

But hey, my living room is not huge so they "do". I realise the speakers are refered to as large or small, not in relation to their physical size but their freq handling capabilities. Mine are shown as large in the AVR settings. I have checked and rechecked phase, along with the integrity of the cables, connections etc.

My Acoustimass is passive, there is no power connection. I know the later models went active. At the moment my Yamaha sub does me proud, aesthetics have once again become an issue with the wife and she wants to go minimalist!!! Which is the reason I need to fix the bugger.
Cheers

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1116
Best of luck on this one. I went to the Bose site and if the acoustimass is indeed passive, and contains no amp, than you will need to provide an amp.....an RCA from the sub out won't do. at all.

you sure? Not doubting you, but I was under the impression that Bose 'bass' modules were all amplified.

So, what are you using to drive the bass module? Your amp have a bass managed speaker output? How does all that stuff connect? Don't the speakers connect to the receiver in the conventional fashion?

As for WAF......Doom on you for making that compromise. When I got married I had Magnepan Panels. 5' tall and well out into the room. I made it clear I would be buried in the box they came in and that was that. Still have 'em....though a new model.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1117
The current model accoustimass module definitely plugs in to the wall. The PDF book shows it plugging into RCA of the receiver.

Post Number: 4
Leo,
This is the system I have.
http://www.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_am10.pdf

I connect my acoustimass to my Denon AVR 1910, it's as simple as front left to front left on the acoustimass, centre to centre on the acoustimass etc. My amp is showing the speakers as large, the sub is showing as on+lfe so I can "when it's working" get bass from both the acoustimass and my Yamaha sub.
I have a bald patch now from where I have been scratching....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1123
Speakers to large, CHECK:
Turn sub output on receiver OFF. CHECK:
This is according to my quick read of the manual. Since there is NOTHING connected to the sub output, shut that thing OFF. A mention is made of crossover at 200hz.

I have no idea of the badside potential of out of phase wiring.
I'd DOUBLE check that....even get the wife or some technical type to check your work.

BAG ON BOSE TIME:: This is ill-conceived. All this extra wiring, and probably no larger than 16ga....or 18ga. is a real headache. along with what looks to be at least 2x or more the number of connections really needed is nutty. And all in the name of WAF.
This is just me, but all my compromises have always favored the sound first.

I still say that if the entire, full-range signal is getting to the module, than something is wired out of phase.

Ever consider a good, 2.1 system? If you showed up with a set of my Magnepans, the wife would kill you THAN hunt me down for the same treatment.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1124
Look at page(s) 25 / 26 of your AVR-1910 manual.
Turn fronts to large and turn subwoofer output OFF.
This may help?

Username: Nortey

Post Number: 3
I recently got an equalizer as a gift and i will like to hook it up to me Bose Lifestyle 35. Any ideas how to do this will be greatly appreciated. I have tried a few things but to no avail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us