Does anyone know about Polk Audio 10a speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 37
I recently acquired these polk audio 10a speakers from the basement of my parents house. I believe they were purchased in the mid 80s maybe? before i was born i know that for sure. JUst wondering if anyone knows anything about them.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12549
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor10/

Do they look like this.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 38
yes exactly like that

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14813

What is it you want to know? Polk has always been a mass market product. Even when they began selling against the more highly regarded lines of the 1970's such as Advent, AR and Infinity they portrayed themself as having science behind their designs. Most anyone interested in audio at that time remembers Polk's advertisements with Mathew Polk himself wearing his white lab coat. As was the custom for the majority of speaker companies at the time Polk built their own drivers which provided them a bit of autonomy not often seen in today's speakers.

If you like the Polk sound, your rescued speakers will do well as long as you don't abuse them with power and their driver surrounds don't rot.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 39
One of the speakers seems to have a blown tweeter, is there anywhere that you can get a replacement?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14817

Start with Polk. If they no longer carry replacements, they should be willing to direct you to another source.

Tweeters were sometimes sourced from existing driver manufacturers while woofers were more commonly those built by the so called speaker company. Even at that point, most driver manufacturers are under no obligation to produce spare parts for twenty year old plus designs. The mounting hardware for that particular driver might be your biggest problem with replacements.

If Polk doesn't care to help, call Parts Express.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12550
Last time I spoke to Polk they were offering direct replacements for that tweeter.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1101
Replace the pair? How far behind the first tweeter could the second one be?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12551
THe replacement tweeter was an upgrade that sounds different, so indeed, replace the pair.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 42
I actually think that there are two different tweeters in the speakers anyway, when i took the tweeters out one had a service tag on it, and had a different sticker than the other, but thanks for the info ill look into the replacements.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us