Home Theater Speaker Setup

Bronze Member
Username: Jtay81

NH United States

Post Number: 41
I have created a new thread in this area of the Forum because I keep getting an error when I try to post in the Home Theater section.

Here is a link to my previous thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/627449.html

Vince,

For the wire I will probably go with the audioquest- but this depends on the installer. The last guy I spoke with wanted to use the wire he always uses b/c he liked that brand (I think it was proaudio). I am thinking he wanted to use that one b/c he got a good markup.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14814

He probably doesn't want to use AudioQuest simply because he doesn't buy it at dealer cost. If you demand AudioQuest cables as a deal breaker he may not want to do the job at all. Depending on where he has to go to acquire AudioQuest cables, he'll loose possibly as much as 40% of his profit on the cable portion of the deal. On a HT install that can be a goodly portion of profit for an installer who runs at very low margins.

If you care to think of that as him having a higher mark up, you're welcome to do so. But that isn't how any installer looks at the deal. You mentioned you're having a difficult tme finding an installer and you think no one wants the job. I can't tell from afar but it looks like there might be a connection between spec'ing things like cables and who wants to work with you.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 172
Hi sadly jan may be right ..
now to me it would not matter if my customer was using his own wire,
I say call around,,
search google you'll find an installer,,
not sure why he could not use inceiling speakers,,

Maybe access was a problem or joist direction.

Audioquest is prefered but any decent cable will be alright...
But I like aq.
Jt you think the install will be done before new years?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14818

"Hi sadly jan may be right ..
now to me it would not matter if my customer was using his own wire ... "

Every installer must look to their own bottom line and selling parts is often a good source of income when troubles arise during an install. Not that you will be soaked in cable costs just because an installer couldn't foresee problems but every installer takes into account a total profit for any deal. Sometimes the installer comes out a bit ahead and quite often they loose due to a fire block or unknown construction which is only revealed after the job begins. There's really nothing like crawling under five rooms just to find a cement foundation under the added on room where the remote speakers are to be located.

Cable costs should be part of any estimate and you have the right to question final costs which vary by a substantial amount from the intial estimate.

Every installer should be working on a flat rate that can sometimes blow up in their face. Any experienced installer can recite stories of spending days on a project that looked as if it could be completed in one eight hour stretch.

Consider your micro-management of cables and so forth as being the equivalent to bringing your own parts to your mechanic or your own steak to a restaurant and asking for a discount since you supplied the parts. Any installer should be willing to work with whatever cables you already own but only those cables you already own and only if they are of a sufficient quality to be reliable in the long term

If you care to go out and buy a spool of AudioQuest cable for the install, then you can also expect the installer to adjust their pricing accordingly. Just as you have a bottom line, so will any competent installer. It does you no good to save a bit on the initial job if your installer eventually disappears from sight when you need servicing after the fact.

Believe me, the last thing you want to hear a year from now is, "I don't know why "X" did such and such but I'm going to have to rip it all out and start over from scratch."

Bronze Member
Username: Jtay81

NH United States

Post Number: 42
Thanks for the insight. I have been micro managing this project, however I do not think to the extent of your analogies. I happen to agree with you on why an installer would want to use their standard wire, which is why I do not know which brand I will be using. Also, I never requested a specific wire from the last installer. I just asked them what they used (brand and gauge) and if they would consider using a different brand/gauge.

I understand this is only a home theater install (not critical 2-channel listening)- in a less than ideal room- so I do not expect to hear a difference between wire types. I just want a good quality speaker wire that will not corrode.

They could use in-ceiling speakers, but you are correct the issues were the joist direction and access from the bedroom above. They told me they would install them if I wish, but they would work strictly with an hourly labor rate. They were concerned the cost would not be in line with the quality of the speakers. After speaking with them I agreed so I turned my attention back to the Orbs.

-JT

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 175
Jt youl'll be grooving with the oppo and the denon with the orbs and I say insist on aq cables with the harmony one you'll be rockin..

take care
vm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us