Rotel 1057 receiver with Canton Chrono 509 DC dilemma

Username: Dohara

Post Number: 1
Hello

I'm new to this forum and i'm not any good at stereo/hometheatre.
I'm trying to find the best combination of amp and speakers that are good at both.
My primary interest is music but 'd like the same system to serve music as well as hometheater.

After some researching the idea i can come up with looks like this:

amp: Rotel 1057 Receiver
speaker: Canton Chrono 509 DC floor standing

I'd first go with 509 DC floorstanding speakers for the stereo sound and later i'd buy the rest:
- Chrono 505 center
- chrono 502
- and probably a subwoofer if needed

I was thinking about a combination of
- Rotel 1057 and B&W 600 Series (683 and 685)
- Rotel 1057 and B&W CM Series (CM9 and CM5)

but it turned out to be a bit pricy compared to Canton Chrono. Of course my choice with Canton Chrono was not only inspired by money.
I spent a lot of time and money on the current design and interior of my house and Canton Chrono would fit better than any of the B&W series.

I've read a lot about Rotel 1057 and Canton Chrono but didn't find a review of how they go together.
Please let me know about your thougths if i made the right choice with the Rotel 1057 & Canton Chrono combination.
I've not bought it as yet so any comments are welcome

I have heard the Rotel and B&W 600 Series (683) combo and it was excellent. then tried Rotel and Canton, which was good as well, however i don't think i should have tested Canton right after hearing B&W. Tried Canton on the other day and it was pretty satisfying.
I mainly listen to Jazz some blues and alternative rock.

The other question of mine is regarding the 'source', which would be an ipod and laptop for the time being,
until i decide which CD player to buy.
What type of dock - or anything else? - should i use to connect my ipod to Rotel without losing quality?
However, it's only mp3, i try to take the best of it.

it became a little longer than expected, so two questions i have:

1. Is Rotel 1057 and Canton Chrono a good combination (for both stereo and hometheater) or should i look at other combos for a good reason? (please note i'm new to hifi!)
2. How can i use my ipod (and laptop) the most efficiently as a source, without losing quality?

Please let me know if i missed anything you need to know to answer me.

Thanks,
David

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14901
Hi David, and welcome.

If you have chosen these speakers, from a demo, and not in your own space, you may be doing yourself a disservice.
If you like the Rotel performance, you might also be missing one of the better units, available used, in the 1070series, including the 1072 cdp, as a matched set.

Have you heard any Paradigm speakers?
For a mix of HT and music, I like what Paradigm has to offer, personally.
Matched with a 200wpc Rotel amp, these pieces can be outstanding.

Post Number: 2
Hello Nuck

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't heard any of the Paradigm speakers, will try them.

Today tried both Canton Chrono 509 DC and B&W 685 with NAD 326BEE. It was excellent, however, i think i liked Rotel 1057 better and the 326BEE isn't sufficient for hometheatre. tried one of the NAD A/V receivers (T 7xx - not sure which one it was) but i couldn't make much difference. Already started to believe what i hear first i like the most. (it was Rotel 1057 and B&W 683, then Canton Chrono 509 DC)

Nuck, i'm not sure at all if i'm right, Is it an option to take Canton Chrono 509 DC with Rotel RBM 1077 amp? I have not tried this combination and do not know if it satisfied my stereo and H/T needs.

You also mention '200wpc rotel'. Which one do you think of?

Tried hometheatre as well. The chrono 5.0 series were fine for HT. (with Rotel 1057) Did not use subwoofer but the 509 DC speakers gave enough bass.

the more i listen to Rotel the better i like it. It is kind of same with canton chrono 509 DC.

I quite like both:
Rotel & B&W 683/685
Rotel & Canton chrono 509 dc

Not sure about the next step here, i will try Paradigm if i can, and will see.

If you have any suggestion, it's always welcome

Thanks,
David

Post Number: 3
Hi

I had the chance to try Rotel 1057 with Canton Chrono in my own living room, size 5x7m with ceiling 3m.

The setup contained:
509 DC floorstanding
505 Center
502 - on a loudspeaker stand: LS 650
AS 525 SC Subwoofer

Is it possible the Rotel 1057 doesn't have enough power to run this setup?

I quite liked what i got but have a feel that i need a more powerful amp. Should i consider buying a power amp for the Rotel 1057 ? If so, then which one would do the job? I want to use this configuration for both stereo and hometheatre.

Please give me some help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14904
It is possible that your room setup is not quite in line with the needs you have,David.
It is also possible that you do not have your souces connected to the best output, or you are missing gain at some point.

What is your source, a BD player, DVD?

Have you made sure that your connectivity is correct?

Post Number: 4
I used Rotel RVD 1062 DVD player and try ipod as well. It was all wired by the sales rep.

The Rotel 1057 is 5x75watts, the canton chrono 509 DC is 160/320 watts. From a technical point of view should this 5x75watts enough?

I'm thinking of trying chrono 507 DC. It's 110/170 watts and it has got only one woofer compared to 509 DC.

Please let me know what you think.
(still haven't bought anything)

Bronze Member
Username: Jtay81

NH United States

Post Number: 31
David,

I would think 75W of Rotel power would be enough, but this depends on your listening volume and your room. It sounds like you have a good sales rep. I would continue to work with them and get the system that sounds the best to you, in your home. I would also ask your rep about room treatments, etc. Demo a 2-channel power amp to hear the difference.

Also, if music is most important I would concentrate on the front channels 1st (as you have been doing), next I would buy a good sub, then a center and the surrounds last.

If the music quality from an iPod and laptop is important you could look at an external DAC. I am sure there are some good suggestions in that forum.

-JT

Post Number: 5
Hi JT,

Thanks for your reply.
I have not tried any of the stereo amps so far as i thought there should be no difference between a stereo and a multi channel amp or receiver. Sounds like i was wrong again. Can you tell me a bit more about it? Why is that a multi channel amp or a receiver isn't the best choice if stereo sound is the most important?

I'm going to try Rotel RB - 1072 stereo amp and then Rotel 1057 receiver again. see if can hear the difference. I have tried NAD stereo amp before but i liked rotel better.

As for having a DAC, i'm quite lost here... Not sure how to use it, will have to look it up before i ask the sales rep.

I'm also looking for the paradigm speakers (suggested by Nuck)and 'd like to arrange an audition but nut having much luck so far.

thanks,
David

Bronze Member

NH United States

Post Number: 32
There are differences between amps, basically the power supply...and how it is shared among the channels (this is why monoblock amps are the ideal for sound quality). You may or may not hear a difference.

I suggested using a 2-channel amp to allow you to hear what more power would do for your system.
If you liked the results you could then use the AV Receiver as a pre-amp for 2-channel and for the processing and power for multi-channel (as long as there are pre-outs on the receiver). I believe this is the same as what Nuck was suggesting when he mentioned the 200wpc amp above.

Post Number: 6
Hi

Thanks for you help, i have a few more questions,

Checking the specifications for Rotel 1057 reveiver it seems it has got the pre-amp output.

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=19&Tab=2&Pic=1

"Preamp Output Level/Impedance 1.0 V / 1K ohm"

Is that it? If so then - if i get it right - i can wire 2 of the channels from the rotel 1057 receiver into the Rotel RB-1072 stereo power amp for a better stereo quality. Is that right?

and the ipod and laptop can be wired into the receiver? (possibly via a DAC?)

Is that possible i won't find anything in rotel to play blu-ray discs?

Is there a difference in quality if i use a DVD player to play audio CDs? (Can i play audio CDs on a DVD player at all?)

thanks,
David

Bronze Member

NH United States

Post Number: 33
You are correct on the pre-outs. They will allow you to use the AVR as a pre-amp so you may connect a stereo power amp to drive the speakers. Now, I am not sure on the differences between the Rotel AVR and power amp you list above. The amp is class-D and I have not listened to any of these so I cannot comment.

Also, I am not sure what your budget is or what you will be paying for the Rotel gear, but you could get a less expensive AVR with pre-outs and a good power amp for stereo (Rotel- if you like their sound or many others). You could also go with a nice integrated amp and just concentrate on 2-channel until you are ready to add surround speakers.

For the source, regardless of your choices above, I would go with an Oppo BDP. If all the reviews are correct you really cannot get any better for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 169
thats what I"m using jt a tube intergrated for 2 channel in to my nad reciever for ht.

your right about mono blocks.

jt what did you end up with for your ht?

Bronze Member

NH United States

Post Number: 34
Your setup sounds nice Vince. What speakers are you running?

I started out with a Musical Fidelity Integrated & CD. I purchased a Marantz w/ pre-outs for my home theater, but then I lost my room to the kids and my plan went out the door.

I will comment on my current home theater in the other thread- I do not want to hijack David's.

Bronze Member

NH United States

Post Number: 39
Well, it is not letting me post in my thread, so here it goes.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/627449.html

Vince,

I pretty much decided to go with the Orbs. I am going to create my own 3-channel "soundbar" by mounting the orbs (Mod1 L&R, Mod2 Center) on 2 pieces of piping and mount it under the TV on the mount (it will be mounted similar to their Boss Floor Stands). The rears will be be mounted on the back wall- 1 in each corner.

I received the Denon 2310 and have it setup up with the Mirage OmniSats right now. It sounds alright- but I think the Orbs will sound much better (at least I hope).

I am still trying to find an installer- no one seems to want the job. I have a few more to call.

I will get an Oppo BDP and I need to purchase a Harmony One and wire in a remote dimmer as well.

Any advice is welcomed.

-JT

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 170
Jt
the orbs should sound good with the denon and the oppo so no worries
and you will eventually find an installer..
which wire jt audioquest?

Post Number: 7
Hi all

i've decided to postpone to buy hifi/HT until i get a little bit more involved. Will keep reading your posts in this forum to pick up more before i meak up my mind.

Thanks for all of your help so far.
David.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14946
Inwall is just so limiting...love the wires!

Bronze Member

NH United States

Post Number: 43
David,

I think it is a good idea to postpone your purchase if you are unsure. It is also a good idea to keep reading this forum to gain knowledge, however you should also try to listen to as many speaker/amp/source configurations as you can. This will point you in a direction, then you could post in this forum to help narrow your choices. In the end whatever you buy needs to sound good in your room with your ears.

Good luck and happy listening,
JT

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 179
sonus faber concertino's bookshelves for front end of my home theater
2-channel combined
I use to have maggies and these are more to my liking.

did you ever get the install jt?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us