Looking for a shallow depth receiver

Username: Bigtdogg

Post Number: 3
I'm looking for the following:

Min 3 HDMI in, 1 out with 1080p upconversion.

70+ WRMS/channel

5.1 Channel

HD Radio would be nice, but not req'd.

Looking for something as shallow as possible. 10"-11" would be ideal. I need to place the receiver next to a fireplace, and the outcome has to be a flush mount. But I can't recess into the wall behind it. I can get right angle adapters for the wires behind, but I still haven't found anything shallower than 13".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3816
The receiver, whichever one you decide on, won't like the heat from the fireplace (unless you never light it up).

I had a lower end Yamaha AVR a few years back that was very narrow front to back. Have you looked at these?

Post Number: 4
Thanks Dave, I found an Onkyo which was just under 13" deep, but it doesn't matter now as plans are to have the AV gear remote mounted in a closet and use a RF remote.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1149
As long as you keep everything cool, you should be ok. Your original idea would have been death to receivers.

Post Number: 5
Closet is an understatement, think server room. It's a giant unused room that will now be AV and linen storage on the other end.

The original idea wouldn't have been too bad, as it was actually a wood burning stove with a flue, so the bricks behind the drywall wouldn't have even been hot. I was misinformed about the use of that area. Kinda tough to describe, but I understand heat + stagnant air = bad.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3874
I have a faux wood burning stove (natural gas, actually) in my listening room that I never turn on. I actually discussed it with my wife and she doesn't mind if I get rid of it altogether.

Heat is definitely bad.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14971
Wow, somebody really doesn't like to see audio gear, if a closet is the option...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1151
I wasn't going to say that, but you're right. sounds like WAF gone mad.
Next will be the suggestion for 'invisible' speakers and a way to hide the TV when not in use.

Post Number: 6
No WAF there, he just want's a sleek set up. Not my style, but it's not my place either. I would have suggested some nice in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, but the walls and ceiling are concrete, so it doesn't really allow for them.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1157
NO external storage is acceptable?
Look at Billy Bags site where he lists DOZENS of configurations he has made for people. Is is spot where the old wood stove WAS going to be available soon?
One additional consideration for the closet solution, besides cooling, is cable runs. You might want to speak to someone about long runs. Speakers are probably the most OK for longer runs but sometimes it gets a little pricey finding good HDMI for 50' runs.

Post Number: 7
Yeah, the cables are about 60' long. Using Blue Jeans Cable, Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI for the monitor cable, and their subwoofer cable for the sub. The HDMI cable is $160, but I'm not taking chances on signal loss in an in-floor/in-wall installation.

The "fireplace" was actually a wood burning stove, which is staying.

There is no concern with cooling in the "closet". It's a 4' x10' room. If I was really concerned I'd have the contractor run a HVAC duct in to the room. It's a completely gutted renovation. There will be nothing above the receiver for at least a foot, and the owner (sadly) won't be playing they system very loud, ever.

BB has some nice stuff, thanks for the info.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1469
this is the smallest HDMI capable DVD unit i have found yet. It is stereo only.

http://www.teac.com/resources/pdf/reference_series_2010/RE_2010_Full_Line.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us