Advice for Speakers

Username: Lmdough

Post Number: 1
I am very green when it comes to electronics and this forum is very helpful from what I've read! I currently do not have surround sound. I had a Yamaha set that I gave away when I upgraded to HD about 2-3 years ago. The reason I got rid of the Yamaha is I bought an Onkyo SR 505 receiver and just never got around to purchasing speakers.

I have an opportunity to buy, from a friend, the following speaksers for $200:
1 - Infinity Entra 2 Center Speaker
2 - Infinity Entra 3 Floor Standing Speakers
2 - Infinity OWS-1 Surround Speakers

I did keep my Yamaha subwoofer. Now, my room isn't huge, it's about 15.5 X 18. TV is not centered (competes with fireplace) and is in the right hand corner. Will these speakers work decently? I want to hear the different sounds when watching a movie or TV but couldn't tell you what those sounds are so obviously I don't have an 'ear' like a lot of you. I also would like to hear about opinions on placement of the speakers since my room is a bit odd shaped (it's almost a square but due to fireplace, windows, door, etc., it's sort of oddshaped).

Thanks everyone!
Lisa

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1273
Greetings Lisa,

The best answer I can think of for your questions is:

1. The Infinity's are going to sound WAY better than what you are listening to now.
2. Tweak, tweak and tweak some more. Ideally the speakers will be symmetrical to your listening/viewing location so the idea is to get them as close to ideal as possible, run the speaker set up on the Onkyo then sit back and enjoy!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14792

If you've heard these speakers and you are pleased with their performance, you won't be able to find anything of quality at such a low price for the set. There are, however, better speakers for more money.

See if this article doesn't help with your speaker placement; http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14874
If placed and used corretly (or close as possible), the setup should do very well for you Lisa.
Pick them up and decide where your room will allow them for now.
Use the set as intended for a little while, then start to look at placement nd room setup for the biggest bang for the buck.

Have fun, too!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2217
The Entra is 1 of the 1st speakers they used with their new driver material,thats a very good set for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us