Interesting speaker cable experiement

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3777
So Nuck was up here this weekend doing the wiring in my basement for outlets and pot lighting (Thanks Nuck!). Anyway, we had tons of 14/2 wire leftover so I decided to make some homerolled speaker cables. I stripped off the outer insulation, took out the copper ground wire, and braided the white and black cables and connected the runs to my amp and speakers after stripping away a little bit at the ends.

I was pretty surprised with the results. Nuck mentioned to expect more bass (which happened) but I also got way more resolution on the top end too. More treble, and they sounded clearer.

To me, initially anyway, these 3 dollar home made cables sound better than the garden hose diameter, fancy terminated, braided $300 cables I was using previously!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3117
Yeah, but they don't look as good do they Dave? [big grin]

It goes to show that it's not always the more you pay the better it is.

Hope you guys kept the alcohol to moderate levels Lol!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3779
Yeah, they definitely don't look as impressive as the garden hoses, although the braid I pulled off looks nice. I've actually had non-audio types come over before and say "holy crap, look at those speaker cables" with the old ones; doubt they would even notice the home made ones, except to say maybe "can't you afford better cables?". You're right M.R., it's not always about the money you spend.

Yeah, we we're pretty - hit the hay at 11:00, although I won't comment what time we cracked our first one ;-)

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3119

Hey, it seems the emoticons are back at work
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us