Archive through February 14, 2010

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2921
F-In sweet boys.

David, how do the MA6's sound on MAC gear bud?

George- Where did you pick up the Epos for that price?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3508
They're a lot sharper sounding than the Sttafs Nick. I was talking to Nuck a little while ago about how the Sttafs sound absolutely perfect with what I call "clear" music (ie: non-distorted guitars). Acoustic stuff, electronica, my wife's pop stuff - it all sounds great on the Sttafs, but I find they are just a bit too polite when listening to music with some crunch, like metal. The MA's on the other hand, have just enough of that top-end to handle metal music better. As far as I can remember, the MA's are a bit more sensitive than the Sttafs as well, so when I want to crank it up I really can.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2922
So what your saying David is that the Staff's sound good with really really really crappy music? LOL Just kidding man.

Thats what I like to hear, something that will hit you in the throat while pounding out some Mudvayne. lol How long are you keeping the MA's in the big rig for?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2923
P.S. I noticed a new TV on the wall David. Finally got rid of that big clunker eh.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3510
Haha. That's another way of putting it Nick. lol.

I think I'll be keeping the MA's there for some time. Whenever I make a change to my system I'm very sensitive to it and it takes me awhile to get used to it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3511
Yup. Picked it up on boxing week. It's a 46" Insignia (the Future Shop house brand). Nothing fancy.... it's basically just used for playing Wii.

Still have the ole clunker. It's down in my basement now - trying to unload it.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3619
Still my favorite thread.

I've made a few changes since the last pics (Apple TV and Theta DAC, new TV) but nothing major.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2924
Nice David. Its always fun playing with different arrangements.

I got a 32 inch Insignia just for our bedroom. They are actually not too bad and come at the lowest of prices. Good bang for the buck TV.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3514
For sure Nick. I'm happy with it. My wife actually commented on how good the PQ was.

The wall mount was almost 20% of the cost of the TV! Crazy.

Any pics there Stu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2925
Lets go Stu, post some shots son!! I have to do some new pics soon too. Did some changes to the theater (mainly room) and got some new components in the two channel system.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3515
Post 'em fellas.

Nuck's doing some painting. Maybe he'll show us what the room looks like when (if) he finishes.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14420
Mid surgery...

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14421
With the ugly little Gallo's, hehe

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11858
I see a pair of big blue eyes staring out from that rack!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14424
Indeed, the MA6900 integrated, Art.
The rest is in flux at the moment, but I am shopping long term quality.

200 wpc from the Mac and another spare 500 from the sub amp.

It works nice, if you closed your eyes, I think you would like!

Cheers!

The old Macs are in the closet, LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2932
Excellent Nuck. Looks good. I bring the beers!!!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3531
Bring enough for everybody!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3533
Is that door in the pic your front door Nuck? Seems like you have to negotiate a bit of an obstacle course to get in, no?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14392

Nuck's a backdoor man.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3534
doh!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2826
Nuck - you gone Goth?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 772
Nuck can't take bright light.

Want some gaffers tape to tape down the cables so you don't TRIP?

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1098
Nice to catch up on this thread - it's good it was bumped up again.

Nuck - nice looking - serious setup with all the black.
David - glad you've got those MA's fed with the McIntosh gear
Nick - I got the ELS3's off a CAM member living in Whitby. Picked them up in person. He threw in a cheap pair of stands for $20, as well. I'll be keeping them a long time. They are my main monitors in my 2-ch setup right now until I get a pair of RX6ers.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11891
I just sold my ELS3's and bought a pair of Audio Engine A5's. They should be here next week or the week after. They should be perfect for the home office.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 114
Upload
A few pics of the completed remodel

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 115
Upload
Upload
A few more
The arch on the left hand side is what's left of a wall i removed.
Nothing was load bearing
New carpet, etc.
Interesting doing work in a nearly 60 year old house

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 116
Upload

Shelves I built last weekend.
The poster .. I've had for a few years
Anybody else recognize Fat Freddy's cat?

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2882
Very nice rig and room Bryan.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 117
Thanks Rantz

View out the window looks south.
Of course, after this weekend, that view is white .. all white
Not particuarly normal, but not abnormal either

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14509
Well done Bryan. Very nice!!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12016
Nice setup, Bryan.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2287
Nice craftmanship Byran!

The Gallo stands look great too!

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 118
Thanks Mike

Two new circuits, dealing with no such thing as straight walls, very non standard existing construction, it was interesting.

Stands are meant to be filled with sand. However, considering the weather we had this weekend, a trip down to the river on the 4 wheeler would have been rather brisk.
Then, would have needed to get though several inches of snow to get to the river sand, which also has a very fine mix of mica.
Didn't I read someplace better alternatives than river sand exist for eliminating unwanted vibrations, due to moisture issues?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12021
Play sand. Cheap at any home improvement store.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 410
Very nice Bryan!!

Dave, how's that McIntosh MCD-301working for you? Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how it sounds?

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3604
The 301 is awesome, NMT. I've done a bit of experimenting with it (different cables - XLR/RCA) and different speakers on the system. So far it has been bullet-proof (knocking on my wooden head). No freezes, lockups or skips, unlike the 201. The 201 I actually think sounded just a tad smoother, but the reliability issues with it made it unusable.

I was using the RCA outputs for awhile, but I've switched back to XLR.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2962
Beautiful Bryan. Nice room. Nice setup!

David- The liquid like sound of that 301 would be very nice.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3643
Great pics and setups guys!

There's a Gallo/Simaudio/couple of other lines dealer not too far from my house. I'm going to hear Sim's 300D DAC, and will hopefully hear the Gallos. Once my work schedule calms down a little anyway. I'm thinking first week in March.

Or I'll get Bryston's internal DAC, which will cause me to lose my internal phono stage, and get a Simaudio phono stage. That thing's a steal for its price, as is Bryston's internal DAC.

I was going to post some new pics, but I think I'll wait until I get a new DAC. Whenever that'll be anyway.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14522
C'mon Stuie, cough up the photo, no waiting.

Toss in a shot of the laundry pair as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2967
I am jealous for you even thinking about getting that Bryston DAC.lol. What a B60 that will be Stu.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3647
I forgot about the washer/dryer photo. It'll be up in a day or two!

Nick - The problems with installing the internal DAC is it only has one input (coax, whereas my Apple TV only has optical), and I'd lose the phono stage (not enough room for both).

I'd have to get some sort of optical to coax converter, another cable, and a new phono pre-amp. That all added up may actually be more than just getting the BDA-1. I haven't crunched the numbers yet though. And the internal DAC doesn't have the different upsampling options and dual mono DAC setup as the BDA-1.

I really want to hear the Simaudio DAC. Its $400 cheaper than the BDA-1 and upsamples to 24-bit/352.8kHz. Simaudio makes some great stuff.

http://www.simaudio.com/moon300D.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2970
Wow, that Simaudio DAC looks fantastic. I should head in to Lindens around the corner from my work (SimAudio dealer) and see if they have one.

Yeah the Bryston DAC only upsamples through Optical and the connectivity is hard to beat. Sounds like you should stick to a external DAC and leave that Beautiful B60 alone. Don't fix what is perfect already.lol. Hhmmmm I should bring home one of those Sim DAC's for testing.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 504
That Simaudio DAC seems great. $1,500 or so?

What about the Chord DAC? I think it retails for like $4,000 or something silly like that! See below:

a live shot under the Marantz player, I love the blue light!: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cat=Digital%20Audio&catnick=digit al_audio&cfid=158642&image_id=1350396

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products_detail.asp?id=33

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
What kind of rack is that Marantz player sitting on? Damn that's a sweeet rack!

I need to find one of those!!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 505
It's the Target CL470.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3649
The Bryston BDA-1 upsamples through every input except USB. I think James Tanner said they working on a software update to allow USB upsampling. The upsampling rate can be changed and turned on and off. Its a listen and use what sounds best approach. The internal DAC's upsampling is factory set and can't be defeated. The BDA-1 uses 1 DAC chip per channel, whereas the internal DAC uses one for both channels.

The Simaudio 300D DAC is $1600. They make a flagship one for about $12k.

That Target rack is pretty nice. It reminds me of the Naim Fraim, minus the Fraim's glass shelves.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
Thanks guys. Looks like there's a dealer in Jersey that carries them. or at least his website shows they carry them. I'll call them tomorrow and check if they still do.

I need another rack and that is nice.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1200
Wow, has my kit changed since I signed on here 3.5 years ago looking for help buying new speakers for my Onkyo receiver. Lol.

I've recently added Gallos to the Mac amp and pre amp. I am still playing with bases and placement but these things are special, guys. The Mac 7300 and Gallos absolutely love Tool and Zeppelin. And can turn around and do Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson with a single watt just beautifully.

Many thanks to Nuck and Wodek for making this all possible for me!

Upload

Now for the shameless ad....I have a Rotel 1070 amp, pre amp and Paradigm Studio 60's for sale. 3 years old. All boxes, manuals and remote in tact. Smoke and pet free home.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1116
Wicked lookin Styvn...just wicked....were those Nuck's Gallo???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14538
You will pry the Gallos from my home after you haul me out feet first!
I found an ad for Stryvn to follow up on.

Good stuff Stryvn, enjoy moving them around and supporting them!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3619
Very nice Stryvn. Nucks got me thinking about Gallos too, but this is a long way off for me.

Are the Gallos safe from small, curious fingers?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1201
George, Nuck knows how good they are and made this pair possible for me. A real audio genie, that Nuck.

David, make some time to get over to Nuck's and listen to them. They love Mac power and really dig metal. You may have to bring your own discs. One listen is all it takes though.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3620
I definitely gotta get down to Nucks to check them out. He's assured me as well that they would be perfect for the kind of music I listen to. I'll be sure to bring my own discs, and maybe some earplugs for Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2977
lol

Beautiful Stryvn. How much for the Studio 60's? lol

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2291
David, here is a pic with of the Gallo's with cover;

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3621
Thanks Mike. That should keep they prying little fingers away.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12069
Congrats, Stryvn!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 516
Wow, I'm going to have to put the Gallos on my short list for the next upgrade (which won't be any time soon I hope). With Tannoy and PMC and perhaps Spendor and Reference 3a too.

So how tough are the Gallos to drive? Would I really have to go out and buy a big honkin' Mac amp to do it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14548
Not difficult at all, Dan.
No crossover to heat up, no cabinet to resonate, variable placement for bass driver direction in the room.
Very easy all around.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2918
Strewth! A few forum guys get Anthony gallos and all of a sudden they are speaker to end all speakers. Come on - listen to the Quad 22ls and hear a real speaker. Don't be a sheep!

I am not a sheep!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3635
Baaaaaah! Actually I still have the Quads on my radar.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1204
If you're looking for speakers in this price range you're cheating yourself if you do not at least audition them.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12087
A whole slew of great speakers in Gallo's price range. Audio Physic, DeVore Fidelity, PMC, Spendor, Dynaudio, Vandersteen, Harbeth and on and on and on. I prefer all of them (on the above list) to the Gallo's I've listened to. But here's the deal...we're not talking about my ears or my music preferences. The Gallos are doing something right or the fellas here wouldn't have bought them. I say, enjoy!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12089
To add to the last post. The DeVore's and Spendor's for instance are so very different sounding than the Gallo's that I can't imagine that the fellas who bought the Gallo's would like either of them for their applications.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 518
I know I like PMC and I know I like Tannoy. Never heard Spendor or Reference 3a, or the Gallos. Doesn't hurt to give them all a chance of course. I'm thinking it'll be tough to beat PMC, but the Gallos are such a different design to the traditional box that I suppose anything is possible.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 131
Not difficult at all ....
No crossover to heat up, no cabinet to resonate, variable placement for bass driver direction in the room.

Hmmm .. I was looking over something last night at Mapleshade, and this was in the advertisement:

The Strada is simply the Ref 3.5 without the built-in subwoofer, yielding two big advantages: no sound-muddying midrange-to-woofer crossover needed; and no woofer directly shaking and smearing the midrange and treble drivers.

Now this is Mapleshade comparing one Gallo product to another.
I wonder what Gallo's take on this is?

'Nother thing I've noticed, speaking of Gallo's. Nuck, Mike & Stryvn all have theirs set well away from the wall. I don't have that luxury due to space considerations. Am I loosing out on something due to this limitaion?

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1205
Bryan...my room layout (side walls- not shown in above photo) dictate the speakers be out that far. I've turned the woofers in recently as well. I am also running without the sub amp powered up for now while I try to dial in exact speaker location. And I will be working on more suitable bases.

I think the point is all rooms will be different. I am still working on what my room will allow. Bronchitis has slowed me down for this week.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2294
To Art and with all due respect I agree that you list a fine compilation of options, I would welcome the chance to hear the Devores or Spendors, but with the Gallos or any other's speakers, and for that matter, any gear, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with an audition. I have found very few auditions that map out well. One of the few were when Nuck and I listened to the Saturn a couple of years back in a suburban Chicago dealer's showroom. They allowed me to package the Saturn in a shootout with a NAD by taking Roland pre-amp, with Bel Canto Amps and Joseph Audio speakers as I was trying to at least be in a reasonable ball park to what I had in my kit though I had none of the items I paired the Saturn up with. Then it turns out if we had not sat there for an hour we really would not have known what the Saturn was capable of as it took a full hour to warm up. We easily could have walked away somewhat jaded about the Saturn.

The Gallos are well respected for a lot of reasons and there are enough reviews out there to support that, not just Bryan, Nuck, stryvn, and others on this forum who have brought them into our kits. JV has heard my speakers in my kit and can also weigh in on them.

As to power, it is true what Nuck posted that they sound wonderful with one watt, I often played them with 0.3 watts per my MC-7300 meters. I will also say that they respond very well to over 300 watts and are beyond my expectations with my tube amps. Quality in equals quality out with these speakers which could be said of many brands. But not many brands can match them IMHO. Certainly there are better speakers out there, but at what price point?

I have noticed they have gone up again in price on the used market since the Gallo 3.5s have been late in coming to market.

Please do not take this as me pushing the Gallos on anyone, or my trying to justify my owning them. I really do not care who thinks what of them and I doubt that Nuck and the other owners do either but there is no harm in sharing success stories.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2919
Gallos pusher! Gallos pusher! Gallos pusher! Gallos pusher!

I have to say, if they are as well built and do the work as well as my AG T2 sub, then they would be pretty darn good. I'd love to hear them. But I got the sub on sale otherwise I wouldn't have spent the rrp on them. The Gallos range is way over priced here. Like all audio products.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2295
Bryan,

"The Strada is simply the Ref 3.5 without the built-in subwoofer, yielding two big advantages: no sound-muddying midrange-to-woofer crossover needed; and no woofer directly shaking and smearing the midrange and treble drivers.

Funny how the dealer I bought my Gallo's from had the exact same thing to say. Then I guess if you have to continue to bring a product to market, and the manufacturer stopped making what was selling very well, and you cannot get its replacement any time soon, well, what does one do?

This seems to me to be somewhat of a desperate attempt to fill a void between products. Clearly the Strada was built to be marketed to HT. Has anybody who owns Gallo 3.1s or who reviewed Gallo 3.1s ever complained about or even mention "smearing midrange and treble drivers"? Good grief.

Yes one can separate the woofers from the mid-range and tweeters but think about the number of issues that introduces.

Where to put the woofers?

The woofers are self powered how does that align with the amps driving the midrange and tweeters?

One woofer or two?

How much more does this cost than having them all in one with the 3.1s?

I would accept that there is some validity in the separation of the woofers if so much had not already been made of the solidity of the support structure of the 3.1s.

Sorry, as much as I am a Gallo's fan, I will not drink this kool-aid.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12097
I understand, Mike. As I stated it isn't my ears that really matter here. The Gallos didn't do anything for me. If they had I would own them, and I don't. Nothing wrong with that.

I also stated that several folks here do own them and that's Ok as well. They work well for their ears and applications and that's what's important. They are like Martin Logans and Magnepans to me. They work very well for some folks and not as well for others. I believe that something similar could be said for DeVore (and pretty much every piece in audio for that matter). I know a Portland area dealer that auditioned DeVore Fidelity for their store and decided against them. To each their own.

When I last listened to the Gallos the circumstances certainly weren't perfect. The store I heard them at handles used high end audio and a few brands of new gear. The amp was a Shanling 200 watt per channel affair and the sources varied but a Consonance CD player was one of them and Shanling CD player another. Other speakers in the room included Acoustic Zen Adagios, Epos, Era, Apogee and a whole bunch of others. I listened to the Adagios which I liked a lot better than the Gallos. The volunteer who was connecting them wasn't too enthralled with the Gallos either. The room was not very good. Typical audio showroom.

In the end we all buy what our ears and tastes enjoy. Also what our eyes enjoy...y'all didn't like the look of the DeVore Orangutan and I sure don't like the Gallos...again that shouldn't bother anyone who owns them. Some folks like minimalist decor and others like traditional...neither is right or wrong.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2296
Bryan (again),

As to your room, for sh!ts and grins, even if it requires use of an (I cannot believe I am going to type this) extension cord or longer interconnects and or speaker wire or any combination thereof, temporarily move your speakers to the short wall facing down the long wall. Detach and leave your flat screen where it is for this experiment if you have to. Your media behind the speakers on that short wall will be more of a benefit than a hindrance.

Take the time to do the appropriate due diligence in speaker placement then listen to it. You may think it is the way to go, you may not. You may think it is the way to go but not be able to due to electrical and other constraints. No worries, you can start another thread and all of us here can work with you in improving on what you have.

Very well could be that what you have set up now is just fine and works best for you. Sort of what stryvn says in that each room is different.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12099
Speaking of failed auditions are the Gallo's as hard to place as the DeVore's. My 8's are a bear to get right...when you get there you know it but the getting there can be rough. I think that's what went wrong for John at the Portland dealer, couldn't get the placement right.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2297
I concur with everthing Art posted except about the aesthetics. I think it is fairly obvious to anyone here that looks and WAF mean nothing to me as long as I can get what I want acoustically nothing else matters.

I never listen with my eyes.

If I ever heard the Devores at a dealer and enjoyed them and thought they might outperform the Gallos in my kit I might pursue an in home audition and if that was favorable I would find a way to become a Devore owner instead of a Gallo owner. But as it stands now I have no reason or purpose to audition speakers or any other gear for that matter.

There are still Mike (being me) issues and other tweaks for me to mess with. I am 100% into working to optimize the environment my kit and I am in right now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12100
I agree with that, Mike. I don't listen with my eyes either and if I wanted the Gallos my wife wouldn't protest. She's pretty good about that, or I wouldn't have 4 pieces of plywood under the Gibbon's...lol!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2298
Actually just the opposite. I think most folks will quit messing with placement of the Gallos too soon based upon what they hear. This is primarily due to their very wide dispersion pattern.

The reality is that all speakers are difficult to dial in to perfection as you stated above Art.

IMO matching up the correct amplification is the trickier part with the Gallos. As I alluded to above, it is the quality in equals quality out that matters.

When I first heard the Gallos they were being run by a pair of Quicksilver mono-blocks and were not impressive to me at all. I bought them anyway out of trust for my dealer in respect to his belief that they were the right answer for the kit I was building towards. Later he alluded to not having the amps properly dialed in at the time of my audition.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12101
Interesting that this discussion could apply to any speaker. All speakers need to be fussed with until you get the placement correct, and you will never get the most from any speaker by shortchanging them with poor quality amplification and source.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3672
I was thinking the exact same thing, Art. Not only is placement an issue, but what's under them, around them, sometimes what's in them, what's feeding them, and on and on. Even the best in store demo won't show what the speakers will ultimately sound like in someone's room.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 135
That type of orientation was originally in my plan.
Constraints, unseen in the pics I posted, dictated placement as they are. One of those being the furniture we eventually put up there.
I'm still not set as for an audio rack, and speaker's final location.. tomorrow I'll get some longer speaker wire, or might just not worry about the sub section for now (like Stryvn) and move things about a bit.
I'll be happier once I get the audio rack I'm wanting, which will provide for greater variation in placement. But for now, I am very limited on how I can crank things up.
I did notice, when the kit was downstairs, I could crank up the volume, hit a certain point power wise, and it was a whole new experience. Thats my goal for upstairs.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2299
And if you ever take those stands out from under the speakers you will quickly discover how valuable those stands are with the speakers sitting on a suspended floor...

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 137
Refinished 60 year old 'hardwood' pine downstairs. Wasn't about to put spikes down on that. It's "suspended" also.
Upstairs, new carpet and pad over the same vintage pine.
Stands still need sand, I've just not had the chance to get any. I'm sure that will make as great a difference as just setting them up on the stands.
I've also got another set of spikes for the Gallos, much more pointed & higher than the set that I would assume come standard. I don't plan on using them. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll manage a pic or three. Those I'd be willing to part with if anyone was interested.
Right now, its just tunage and a good single malt.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1206
I agree with Mike, Bryan....you should try setting up on the short wall just for grins and see what transpires.

Would you care to post a close-up of the bases you've got there? I am interested in options. You mentioned a "pointier" spike....my Studio 60's have a spike that is quite sharp, much more narrow and a bit taller than the Gallo spikes. The result is a spike that gets thru the carpet and solidly onto the sub-floor and gets the entire bottom of the 60's off the carpet. I wonder how this would benefit the Gallos? I am considering a base that utilizes a spike like the 60's and then the Gallo spike on top of the base.

In time.

Enjoy the single malt and the music along the way!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14552
Being a sealed design helps with Gallo placement. The side firing woofer taketh away. Being able to turn the bass drivers inside out softens the blow.

Sheets of plywood with paper seperaters are a great start for a foundation.
Mike, I had removed them for demo weekend here to ease moving the speakers around.
Nwxt time, Nick will hear them properly placed and supported.

They sound waaay better then you guys heard, Nick!

If I actually follow through with a bizarre idea, a new foundation may happen this summer.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2981
wow Nuck, they sounded pretty freak'N good when I was there. Can't wait for the next trip up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14555
The summer bash is under construction...

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 139
Bashing thru a floor?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14558
That, in fact, is the idea for speaker foundation...

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2300
This ought to make future speaker placements interesting...

You might want to consider, if you have physical access below the floor, some time of jack that you can bring pressure to the floor directly under where each speaker is situated and then move it slightly each time you are required to modify your speaker placement.

That would also, over time, keep your floor from looking like your house was invaded by an extreme band of gophers.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2301
Bryan, once you get sand do not fill the bases all the way. Work it in increments stopping to listen for a bit each time until you find the improvements cease or degradation begins. It would not be unusual if you ended up filling the bases up completely with sand.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14559
Roving bands of marauding gophers...

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 140
Amazing how these topics seem to wander
Least we're not high jacking someone's thread

Sand could as well make a difference with present placement.
Mebbe Lowe's will fit the bill later today.
Beautiful very fine river sand 5 minutes away on the 4 wheeler, unfortunately .. too much rain & snow lately, not to mention 25F (-4C) out right now

In the meantime, I'm going to rearrange and take a listen.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 143
Moved things around a bit
Distance from speakers to listening position increased from 7 ft to slightly more than 10 ft.
Distance to far wall is now nearly 22 ft
Subwoofers now point outward
Immense change in acoustics
Upload

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 145
Upload
Close up of the stands, still unfilled

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14561
Have you tried with no toe on the speakers Bryan?
Just straight ahead, then toe very little at a time.

The Gallos play so very much wider to me...

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 146
Toe in now is directly in line with ears at listening positon.
We've a grandson turning 2 whose birthday we will be celebrating this afternoon, after we return, more experimenting.
Need for loger speaker wire & a good rack is more immediate now.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2302
Bryan,

Looks marvelous in that position. We are all hoping that the immense change in acoustics was a positive experience. Either way, would you mind taking a moment to describe the differences for us?

PM me regarding your longer spikes please, I would be interested in experimenting with them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14563
Sale day, I pulled out some old guns and a few new ones to package.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3636
That looks like CAM on your laptop....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12124
Maybe a wife or girlfriend will buy some lucky fella some nice used audio gear for Valentines Day...or not.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14565
Sold the Macs in 30 seconds, LOL!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us