Newbie Needing Advice

Username: Jmaughan

Louisiana

Post Number: 1
I have a B&K AVR 307, and a AV 5000 amp. I want to set up the second zone on the reciever which has a built in preamp out. i have not connected anything because i'm not sure of making all conncections. I am using zone a for home theater. from reading in understand zone b will need the amp. i assume speakers for zone b will be wired directly to the amp while zone a speakers will connect to the reciever. Is this correct? Additional questions arise becasue i want to add additional 4 additional speakers. since i have a five channel amp do i need a speaker selector switch? if i want to can i listen to the same audio source in both zones. thanks for any input.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14690

"from reading in understand zone b will need the amp."

Yep!

"i assume speakers for zone b will be wired directly to the amp while zone a speakers will connect to the reciever. Is this correct?"

That's how it usually goes. That's why you buy the other amp.

" Additional questions arise becasue i want to add additional 4 additional speakers. since i have a five channel amp do i need a speaker selector switch?"

What? you want to use your existing amplifier as the zone 2 amp? You can do that, the amp doesn't care where the signal comes from or where it goes as long as you don't try to play tricks on it.

If you have a sufficient number of channels - I assume "five" from what you posted - and you only want to connect "five" speakers to that amplifier, there's a very, very good chance you would not require a speaker selector switch.

But "five" is an odd number and "four" is not.

You want to use "four" speakers - as in "two" pair? - of speakers or do you want to use "four" pairs of speakers - as in "eight" total?

"Four" speakers - as in "two" pairs - isn't a problem, you'll have "one" unused channel on your "five" channel amplifier.

"Eight" speakers - as in "four" pairs of speakers - and the amp might think you're trying to play those tricks on it.

You'll probably want some way to "switch off" certain pairs of speakers when they're not in use. That would require some sort of "switch" - natch! - the sort normally found on speaker selector "switch" boxes.

Goldang! this gets complicated!!!

You'll probably also want some way to control the volume of individual pairs. Some AVR's provide overall control for zone 2 volume but, if you want to control the individual volume level of each pair, then you'll need something other than the AVR's overall master contol.

So, despite having a "five" channel amplifier, that amp might not be your best bet in this installation. You need to think about how you're going to use the system and go from there.

This is serious stuff not to be trifled with.

So the answer is, yep!, you can do it ...

... but you might not want to.

"if i want to can i listen to the same audio source in both zones."

Yep!

But for that you wouldn't even need zone 2 operation.

Zone "2" is another whole different sheebang, you know?

That last's a question. You need to answer that.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us