New here Kenwood KR-4070 Stereo Receiver a good match up

Username: Kenwoodhifi

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Kenwood KR-4070 Stereo Receiver via ebay. I have 150 Watt HH Scott Speakers 15" Woofers What are your thoughts & opinions?

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1213
Congratulations Kenwood,

What exactly would you like to know?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12530
If you want opinions, I'm not a fan of Kenwood. Just about everything from them that I've owned, from entire rack systems to home theaters in a box made since the 1980s, has failed on me within a year. The one piece of theirs I owned that didn't die, was an AV receiver from about 1970. I just sold that one at a yard sale.

Are the fifteens in those floor speakers actual transducers, or are the passive radiators?

Post Number: 2
I am not sure about the speakers. I want to know if people have used 40 wpc receivers with big speakers it seems pretty powerful!!!

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12533
Honestly, 40WPC isn't a lot, particularly from an AVR. If you really want those speaekrs to come to life (any speakers) get a dedicated amplifier.
The issue here is that watts per channel doesn't really tell you anything. If you really want to see what an amplifier can do, you need to look at things like the power supply it uses. Can it double it's power into 4 ohms? Does it have loads of reserve power for peak transient demands? What class is the amp? Does it use beefy toroids for the power supply? What kind of FET array does it use for the output stage? I've seen a 50 watt amp like a Krell, Sunfire, Mark Levinson, Pass Labs or similar that would absolutely destroy an AV receiver that was rated for 250 watts per channel. The guts tell the story.

There's an old adage that states, "You can tell the quality of an amplifier by it's weight." There is some truth to that, as the weight often signifies the substantiality of the power supply it houses.

tl;dr: if you want good power, get a dedicated amplifier.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14669

Hook the system up and give a listen. Be certain you connect the speakers in correct electrical phase - red terminals on the receiver run to red terminal on the speakers. The speaker cable will have a marking on one leg of the cable or the legs will be different colors to help you follow where the red terminal connects. If you don't understand this, just place "connecting stereo loudspeakers" in a search engine and you'll find some good guides.

The rated power of the amp is not that important, what you expect from the system is more so. If you want to blast all day, it's not so much the amplifier's wattage as it is the speakers that will get you there. The wattage listed on the speakers means absolutely nothing - ignore it. Pay attention to the "sensitivity" specification, a spec stated as "X" dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. The higher that "X" number is the louder the speaker will play with any amplifier.

If we assume your current speakers are of average sensitivity - about 87dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter, then 40 watts can manage some fairly loud volumes in an average sized room. 40 watts can certainly provide decent levels of sound into almost any speaker. So try it out before you start believing you need to spend more money for something you might not need right now - or ever.

Here's a chart you can use to get an idea of how much wattage can achieve; http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If you plug 40 watts, then 100 watts and then 250 watts into the calculator, you'lll notice the actual SPL volume level doesn't change dramatically. That's because buying watts is a very inefficient way to get volume. Look at that speaker sensitivity spec if you want loud. If volume is not all that important to you and you just want some decent music, 40 watts is probably a lot more than you had before you got the Kenwood. So, give it a try.

Put "loudspeaker placement" in a search engine and do some reading about how to get the best sound out of your system. Work with what you have to get the best sound you can. If you need more bass, place the speakers closer to a wall or corner or on the floor. If you want smoother sound, pull the speakers into the room a few feet and raise them off the floor on sturdy stands. Buy a few feet of good quality speaker cable and you should be in business.

There's really no need to believe you need to ditch the receiver you just acquired. It's yours and it's probably better than anything else you've owned. Save your money for a good quality CD player or turntable and don't worry about how many watts you have or don't have. If the music distorts, turn down the volume a bit.

Otherwise, enjoy your receiver and work at learning how to build a system with what you own. Don't let anyone tell you what to buy or what you should be hearing. It's your system, your money and none of their business.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14748
Kenwood, I have to assume that you have heard a receiver driven into distortion before. If not, and for the benefit of other newbies, it was explained to me as this.

If the last little notch on the volume that you just turned up changes the way the speakers sound at all, it is a bad thing. Tweeters are the first devices to fail in this situation.

The resulting sound quality before this happens will determine what the system can do, but maybe not all day. Monitor the temperature of the receiver carefully. It may be old, it may be dirty inside, it may overheat in short order.

Post Number: 3
I had the Kenwood hooked up since Monday it shakes the house I'm extremely happy with it!!!

Username: Mr_q

Michigan city, In Usa

Post Number: 1
Are those Scott speakers older? I didn't even know they made speakers! I have someJBL ND-310II's, my Onkyo TX-8511 drives them well, although I think I may need a little more. However, for your speakers I think it would suit you well. Personally I have had great luck with Onkyo. It's a good,meaty sound. The police have been called once or twice. Only drawback is the FM tuner is a little weak, but I listen to XM anyway.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12601
I have to disagree about the power rating of a speaker meaning nothing.

the continuous power handling rating of a speaker is a thermal measurement of how much heat (in watts) the voice coils in a speaker can dissipate without damage. Mind you, that's a rating with clean power. Any time your amplifier clips, it's sending direct current to the coils, which generates heat much faster, and will damage the speakers more quickly.

The note about power is somewhat accurate though, since it takes ten times the power to double the audible volume. This is why increasing power from an amplifier doesn't have a dramatic influence on the output volume most times. What can though, is going from an AV receiver's internal amplification, to a dedicated amplifier with a better power supply and design.

here's a bit I wrote some time back about sensitivity in speakers.

Speaker sensitivity is a specification provided by all manufacturers of high-quality speakers. The sensitivity rating has no relation to sound quality, as some of the very best speakers have low ratings. Sensitivity ratings simply tell you how much sound a speaker will produce for a given power input.

Sensitivity ratings are given in decibels per watt at one meter, or db/Wm. So, with an input of one watt (usually white noise), a speaker with a sensitivity of 90 db/Wm will produce 90 decibels of sound at a distance of one meter. A sensitivity of 90 is considered average, with ratings of 87 and below considered low sensitivity and above 93 considered high sensitivity. To increase the volume by 3 db, you must double the power. So, using the example above, to make 93 db you would need two watts, and to make 96 decibels, four watts.

Most of the time your system is cruising along producing only a few watts. You need extra power for loud bass passages, crescendos in classical music, and other highly dynamic passages. Your speakers may need more than 10 times the average power to re-create these dynamic passages accurately, and if you are playing loudly to begin with, you may need an awful lot of power if you have speakers with a low sensitivity rating.

So, when you are buying an amplifier, consider your speakers, your room size and how loudly you want to play. If you have sensitive speakers, you probably will not need as much power -- even 20 clean watts would probably be enough. If your speakers are only moderately sensitive, your room is large or exceptionally noisy and you want to play loudly, you will need more power in order to faithfully reproduce dynamic passages.

"Sensitivity," which is expressed in dB, should not be confused with "efficiency" that is expressed as a percentage of power out relative to power in. Efficiency data for loudspeakers suffers from many problems such as failure to consider variations in frequency response.

Speaker efficiency is the ability of the speaker to do work or use power. The more efficient the speaker; the less power is required for the speaker to produce sound. Voice coil design, type and size of the magnets, speaker cone design and material, speaker size, etc. all play a critical role in determining speaker efficiency. However, speaker size is a good general method for guessing efficiency.

Typical speaker efficiency (for physicists) is about 5%. Meaning that for 100% power input, you get about 5% acoustical work back.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14688

How much for 42% power input?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14689

"I'm extremely happy with it!!!"

Then you should stop reading this BS right now! 'Cause it's only going to get deeper.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14775
"I am extremely happy with it."

This makes me happy as well.

That is all any of us want.

Ignore us weenies from now on and listen to some music, dance with your partner and cook some dinner!

Cheers!

go shopping for some new music!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us