Hey guys i have a wierd question

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 70
I appreciate all the advice you guys give and i got some speakers. i did a diy project and i bought some drivers off of partsexpress. they are morel tweets and woofers and i crossed them over at 2k with a dayton crossover. so i have myself a nice bookshelf set up and i have a harmon kardon hk 3490 its rated at 120 wpc at 8 ohm and 150 at 4 ohms. i love my set up but i have a friend that wants to buy it from me, and ill make a few bucks off it so ill probably do it. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use some dls speakers for my next project. i can get some good deals on those speakers and i was thinking about the nobelium set. would that sound good? they are 4 ohm speakers and it wont be a problem powering them. im just wondering is there a difference between using home audio drivers and car audio drivers? i would of course build an enclosure to specs, and i think it would be a good idea. can you guys give me some advice as to whether or not this is a good idea.
thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14629

Car audio and home audio typically have very different objectives and those objectives will influence the design of the drivers. Additionally, the demands you must consider in home audio are of very little consequence in a car since most of the subtleties of dispersion, distortion, etc. are effectively covered up by the higher noise levels with a moving vehicle or by the way car audio has evolved into Frankenstein systems with an ungodly numbers of drivers and crossovers. This leads to high sensitivity, long excursions and low impedance often being the prime movers of car audio speaker design.

While not a bad thing in their own right, everything is trade off and trading off, say, high excursion for higher distortion and limited bandwidth is not a good deal for most home listeners.

If you're building for the home, use components meant for home use. There are numerous manufacturers who build for both markets but their products oftentimes are quite different in application between the two. If a manufacturer tells you their systems are meant for car use, take their word for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14733
Does the car speaker manufacturer provide the T/S specs etc for the drivers?
If so, then creating a cab will be easier.
A bandpass box in the room is a drag.

The doors from an '81 citation in the room is also a drag. But I have seen that done.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
can you show me some pics of what you mean nuck, just so im completely clear on what your saying.
I was think of building a bookshelf with a front port.
i dont have the t/s specs but im sure if i contact dls they could send them to me. im in no hurry to get this done
heres a little info on the speakers i would consider using
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10484_DLS+Ultimate+Nobelium+6.2.html

the only reason i would suggest doing this is because i have some dls speakers for my car and i put them on my reciever and i thought they sounded pretty amazing in the box they were in, and i figured if i made an actual bookshelf out of some higher end speakers it might sound pretty good.
i really like what the car audio companies are doing with their home audio. thats why i bought the morel, and i feel they would blow away any speaker in the $800 price range

but if you say just stick to home audio drivers i will do that.
ill just buy some better morels and put a system together.
im only using a 2.1 set up by the way
no need for 5 or more speakers for me
and the soundstage from my speakers is amazing, they fill the whole room with sound, its amazing, im very happy with morels sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
can you show me some pics of what you mean nuck, just so im completely clear on what your saying.
I was think of building a bookshelf with a front port.
i dont have the t/s specs but im sure if i contact dls they could send them to me. im in no hurry to get this done
heres a little info on the speakers i would consider using
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10484_DLS+Ultimate+Nobelium+6.2.html

the only reason i would suggest doing this is because i have some dls speakers for my car and i put them on my reciever and i thought they sounded pretty amazing in the box they were in, and i figured if i made an actual bookshelf out of some higher end speakers it might sound pretty good.
i really like what the car audio companies are doing with their home audio. thats why i bought the morel, and i feel they would blow away any speaker in the $800 price range

but if you say just stick to home audio drivers i will do that.
ill just buy some better morels and put a system together.
im only using a 2.1 set up by the way
no need for 5 or more speakers for me
and the soundstage from my speakers is amazing, they fill the whole room with sound, its amazing, im very happy with morels sound
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us