Wisconsin

Post Number: 1217
record cleaner

more

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3746
I read on a forum somewhere that people were using wood glue in pretty much the same way.

A bottle of wood glue would be cheaper, but it would take a leap of faith from me to use it. Its also a lot messier.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1218
I agree, Stu, much cheaper yet a larger leap of faith. Given the consistency of wood glue I'm not so sure it would settle all the way into the groove but...

I'm sure I've got an lp or two in the stack that could use a schmootzin' of wood glue without fear of failure.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 176
http://lifehacker.com/5495614/use-wood-glue-to-clean-and-restore-old-lps?skyline =true&s=i
It's true ... if you believe everything you read .....

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2363
Thanks for the link. Hopefully Larry isn't on this thread as to who knows what he could create out of this. LOL

I might just be dumb enough to try it. I have enough beater records to mess with.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14811
I thought I got those...sniff...

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 578
Guys, I'm going to be playing a few records this weekend. Is it possible to play a record that has a scratch on it? Can the needle handle that or is there the possibility of damage?

On a couple of records I can see some scratches. There is one that is thin and looks kind of deep. I would guess that could cause a problem. Then on one album there are some that are wider and do not look deep. They almost look like smudges, but cleaning does not get them out so I'm assuming they are light scratches. It was likely made by something duller than what made the thinner and deeper scratch.

Most of my records are in good shape, but of course they are 30 or 40 years old, so there are going to be imperfections. I know some people buy used records that are in horrible shape. I am guessing the needle can handle scratches, to a certain extent.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12435
The needle can handle it , Dan. Let 'er rip. I buy most of my vinyl used and then clean it up. I don't want skips but a lot of used vinyl has imperfections and I just play the records and enjoy them.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 579
Thanks, Art. I kind of thought so but it's better safe than sorry. I'll let you know how things go. I cleaned something like 15 out of 35 records so far. I'll have to save the rest for next weekend when I've got some time.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12436
I know how it is Dan. I have about 50 records in the closet ready to be cleaned. It's a bit of a pain, but very worthwhile.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us