Plinius 8150 integrated amp with dali icon 6 speakers

Username: Gnanasekhar

Nagercoil, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 1
i am new to audio systems. I have decided to buy dali icon 6 speakers and a used plinius 8150 amp. Iam looking for a good combo for the last 8 month and i am in a lot of confusion. If anybody can help me with valuable suggestions i will be veeery grateful

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3041
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. What is it that you arte confused about?

Post Number: 2
sir, i am from india. Generally i prefer to listen the choral works of Handel, Mozart, John Rutter etc and boy's bands. I want to know if the combo is good for choral music and whether it will match SPECIFICATIONWISE. The plinius(used one) is available in Chennai and the most important thing is i could not audition them. In fact a have to go ahed with your guidance only. My other options are nad c372 and Arcom fmj28. Please help me with your advices.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3042
Well Plinius has an undeniably good reputation, the Arcam fmj would be ahead of the NAD 372 in terms of musicality, while the C372 has great power and strong bass it isn't in the class of the Plinius and Arcam. I have no experience with the Dalis so without the opportunity of audtioning, it is a bit of a crap shoot unless, (a) you know the condition of the amps, (b) what is the likelyhood of obtaining service and parts, and © can the amp satisfy the requirements of the Dalis in terms of power and impedence swings.

What is your source Gnana?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14620

"The speaker should not be that hard to drive, which, in combination with its highish sensitivity, will make it a good match for relatively low-powered amplifiers and receivers."; http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706dali/index3.html

The Dali's remain at 4 Ohms for most of their range though the electrical phase angle is not difficult to manage. The Plinius amplifier should be capable of driving the speaker without significant issues given the not so strenuous demands of your program material.

I cannot suggest buying anything without an audition. Why waste your money chasing a "deal" that could result in less than satisfactory performance? Is that really a deal in the long run? My constant recommendation would be to use the advantage of an audition to buy what actually sounds musical with your program material and hopefully given the opportunity to audition the equipment in your own room. What other product would you buy based solely on reviews from someone you do not know?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/612804.html

On paper the combination would appear to be satisfactory should you decide to plunge forward with this decision. The Dali's have a character that would seem to be less well suited to your musical tastes than would a few other possibilities and with their ribbon tweeter they will necessitate careful set up in a well managed room. These are not plunk-them-anywhere-and-go speakers.

I'm not a fan of multi-way speakers and even less so of 3 1/2 way designs when the input will center around vocal material. Too many cooks spoil the broth so to speak and too many crossovers cutting right into the heart of the vocal range (placing drivers of various dimensions and materials in charge of sounding as though they were but one voice- an even more dificult task when there are many single voices to hear) make for less than exciting music. Or at least that has been my general take on "budget" multi-ways. I've not heard the Dali's at all. Have you?

The character of the speakers is likely to override that of the amplifier. I would not personally combine the Dalis with an analytical amplifier or one that tends toward forwardness should you continue to hunt down possible components.

Your mileage may vary.

For your musical tastes a single driver system or a design such as the much faster, more cohesive and more musical Magnepan MMG's (which would not require more than a decent, well thought out small to mid wattage amplifier) would be more to my liking - but you don't have my ears. IMO, if you can build a system that does not require a half dozen output devices per push-pull side, the better you will be. Those of us who have been around audio for awhile can typically name dozens of small amplifiers from a line that sound more musical than their higher wattage brethern.

The MMG's would also require careful set up, most single driver systems should not be demanding of set up other than toe in. Without more information regarding your situation, that's about the best information I can provide.

Post Number: 3
My current plan is to look for an amplifier for the dali icon 6 (the 3 mentioned above or something else) and only after that I have to decide over the CDP, interconnects and cables. I would also prefer your suggestions on other combinations also pl. help me

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14720
is space a large consideration here?
The MMG's that Jan suggested work best with dipole type space behind them, while a front firing speaker allows more space (with accompianing downpoints) to place closer to sympathtic wallspace.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14622

"Sympath(e)tic wallspace"?

What's that? Drinkin' buddies?

Post Number: 4
Room size l17xw11xh11 feet. I can spend upto 750 USD for the speakers. What is your opinion about the following como
Arcom fmj a28 with Dynaudio Audience 62 or 122
Arcom fmj a28 with PSBs or EPOSs (I am interested only is Floor standers)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14625

If your musical tastes run toward vocal works, then the most logical suggestion would be to find a speaker considered to be kind to vocals. While very nice speakers I wouldn't place the Dynaudio's in that category. Spendors or any other BBC based design I would.

The suggestion for single driver systems eliminates the crossover from cutting the vocal region into little bits. The more drivers, the more the bits.

How are you coming up with these ideas? In other words, what is your critieria for making the decision either Dali's or Dynaudio's or PSB's or Epos' would be good? Are you reading reviews or just looking at prices? Your "possibilities" are all over the board.

Do you have anyone guiding you in system building? Placing the speakers first hasn't for decades been viewed as the best route for sucess unless you have unlimited funds to match the front of the system to the speakers' needs.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1449
Exactly... the speakers you are listing all sound different.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14725
OP said he is too far away to demo.

I think, given the scope of Gnana's situation to unfold, that dude, you need to book a couple of days in the city to have a good solid sit down and listen.

If you are interested enough to go ask strangers on forums about your personal musical enjoyment, bro, you need to take a date to the city for a coupla days anyhow.

That's the call from my seat here.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 956
Nuck, OP ain't just whistlin' Dixie.
Nagercoil, Tamilnadu
India
Is at the Very Southern tip of the (sub) continent. And by this, I suggest perhaps no more than 10 miles from a couple hundred feet deep bit of salt water. and Sharks. and probably Salt Water Crocs

A Quick perusal of the map shows no big towns nearby. An audition is possible, but who knows how long a train / plane / auto ride to get somewhere to do such an audition?
I heard the Dali's. Either the 6 or 7.......and even though it was a pretty quick listen.....maybe 15", I liked 'em. Of course, my brief exposure is not enough time to fall in love OR hate with a speaker.

This is the dilemma of hi end audio and in some cases works against broader acceptance. Can't get somewhere to hear a variety of equipment. Not satisfied with a mail-order purchase. Drops out in disgust. Can't rely on reviews due to taste/synergy considerations.
It's a real potential rathole.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14667

The same could be said of the exotic automobile market. It's the reason more people aren't driving Ferraris.

Not chiding you, Leo, just trying to make a point.

We are all - I would hope - aware of the Catch 22 state of affairs with high end audio. The more people turn to internet sales, the less there is for a brick and mortar dealer to offer. There are sensible options but piecing together a system based upon a price range without further consideration is not, IMO, one of them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14741
Just put your needs out there, hold on tight and read a lot, I suppose.

Then take the leap of faith in guys like Nuck.

eep!

I did not do a Marlon Pirkins on the locale, Leo. Happy retirement, LOL!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 973
No offense taken at all Jan. I am in substantial agreement, however in cars.....and I just got done watching the Mecum auction from Florida and I gotta say that boy, they sell the sizzle. ALL emotion and evocation. No sense of 'synergy'.....who could possibly drive a 500hp '38 roadster?
I suppose people can talk themselves into darn near anything, get wound up and send off a big bundle of Rupees. The trick is to avoid the 'rush' and think it thru.

So, it still comes down to What To Do?

Somebody that is willing to start down the hi-end path with so little to hear and virtually no local support should be either applauded or recommended for therapy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14787
Gnana, what's up?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14697

" however in cars..... they sell the sizzle."

Oh, yeah, Leo. I would have never stooped to that level to sell hifi to some poor schlub with a new credit card burning a hole in his wallet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14789
The shops must have stayed open late the week that student loans and grants came in!

Hey wait, I saw you there...

Post Number: 6
Sir, It is impossible to have a thorough audition here. The dali dealer has Cambridge audio amps only for demo and the Dy. audio dealer has only arcom and primare at present. I am a chronic IBS patiant and I usually avoid long journey. Sri, I have no other way. Be kind enough to give me your opinions (People generally say this amp will go well with this speaker sonically and so on).
amps to go with dynaudio audiance 62 and 70
speakers to go with PLINIUS amps
speakers to go with NAD & ROSKAN KANDY amps

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14705

A smart dealer also buys equipment that is complimentary to their other lines. There are, of course, exceptions but a good rule would be to buy from one dealer who can assure you their equipment is well matched and who stands behind that recommendation.

Why not just buy from one dealer and you'll have a far greater chance of success than piecemealing a system based on forum recommendations?

You still have not explained just how you came to your decisions regarding which components you want to buy. If you've not auditioned these products, how do you know you want any of them? If you cannot audition any of them, then isn't it better to buy something you've heard rather than something you've only read about?

If you are wishing for nothing more - and from what I can see that is all you can get here - than someone telling you buy this and buy that, call the dealer and ask for their recommendation. It will stand a better chance of satisfying you than anything we can piece together.

I'm not trying to be rude but you are not making much sense here. There are vast numbers - and I do mean vast numbers - of speakers that will play well with any one amplifier and an even greater number of amplifiers that will play well with any one speaker.

To ask anyone - anyone! - to say buy this and that is not reasonable. Toss in all of the used equipment on the market and not only are you not being reasonable, you are not being realistic. What you are doing is asking to be disappointed by someone else's expectations.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 975
Jan,
Looks like Gnana has limited travel options and has only a few places with limited selections.
That's how the choice list was decided on. For him by the dealers.

It is either buy from what you can hear or take a chance.

and I believe the point is good that you should buy from the dealer which will show a complete system.

Dali / Cambridge? Why not? CA also makes a decent line of CD players and probably mixes in a universal player, to boot.
The 800 series separetes or integrated will drive some 6 or 7 series Dali Ikons to distraction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us