NAD 319

Username: Giga

Post Number: 1
I have an Arcam alpha 8 and M74 speakers.. its a great amp.. very warm and bassy but I would like more grunt.. I want a lot of grunt.. more grunt than I could ever need...

I was thinking of either adding a s/h Arcam Alpha 9p - using 8 as pre or biamp..

or relegating the 8 to the bedroom and buying a s/h NAD 319..

Ive seen a s/h NAD 319 (1999) for £225.. is this a good price? Shopuld I haggle? What's NAD's amp reliability like? Arcam's is great.. how does NAD compare? Would I have fun with the NAD?

Which option would you go with?

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 115
You can get a used C370 for similar money and it's better than the C319. As for Nad v Arcam, that's all a matter of personal choice. I've had Nad stuff before and had no reliability problems. Amps are Nad's forte so if you're going to test the water with the company you may as well start there! As for the grunt you're after, you'll not want any more with either the C370 or the 319. Then again, adding a power amp to your Arcam would sound great too, it all depends what kind of a sound you're after. The Nad sound is warm and personally I like this but some do not. Best thing to do would be to try one - other than that, if you buy a used C370 on ebay and then decide you don't like it, you will get more-or-less what you paid for it if you sell it again. They fetch £200-250 consistently.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 116
You can get a used C370 for similar money and it's better than the C319. As for Nad v Arcam, that's all a matter of personal choice. I've had Nad stuff before and had no reliability problems. Amps are Nad's forte so if you're going to test the water with the company you may as well start there! As for the grunt you're after, you'll not want any more with either the C370 or the 319. Then again, adding a power amp to your Arcam would sound great too, it all depends what kind of a sound you're after. The Nad sound is warm and personally I like this but some do not. Best thing to do would be to try one - other than that, if you buy a used C370 on ebay and then decide you don't like it, you will get more-or-less what you paid for it if you sell it again. They fetch £200-250 consistently.

Username: Giga

Post Number: 3
Now I have found a mint condition Roksan Kandy KA1 for £225 just down the road from me....

Roksan Kandy KA1 vs NAD 319 vs Arcam 9p???????

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 118
Are you the same poster on the HiFi Choice forum and this Nad 319 is five years old? I'd say that's way too much money when you can pick-up a two year old C370 for the same amount and it's a better amp. I've never heard the Kandy so can't comment but it has had some good reviews. Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference because all the kit you've listed is decent.

newbie007
Unregistered guest
Sunking, why do you say the nad 370 is better than the 319, when the 319 is more expensive? Can you explain your justification?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 130
The C370 was the replacement for the 319, which itself has now been superceded by the C372. All these amps are an improvement on their predecessor. Nad doesn't bring out a replacement for an amplifier and make it worse, they merely improve upon the design with each new model. I would rather have a used C370 than a used 319 because not only is it a better amp to start with, it is also newer and the older 319 will be more likely to breakdown first due to worn capacitors, resistors and the like. Wouldn't you rather have a newer car than an older one, classic cars excepted?

newbie007
Unregistered guest
I couldn't find a decent priced c370 but i found a new 319 with full 3 year warranty for a little bit more than the price of a 370... Do you think that that a good deal?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 131
If it has a 3-year warranty and you can't get a C370 then yeah, go for it. It's still a great amp, I'm just saying that the C370 is better.

asal73
Unregistered guest
IF it is new, and if products are as expensive as I am led to believe in Switzerland, then I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase.. Years ago (1996) I had a NAD 314 and 317.. The 317 was the little brother of the 319.. It kicked real hard.. loved it... always regretted getting rid of it.. hence I have just bought a C370...

asal73
Unregistered guest
I think the 319 was £550 when new...

http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2001/6/21/audiofile/21nad

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_319.pdf

newbie007
Unregistered guest
yes in switzerland it retailed for 1590chf. (690UKpounds) Switzerland is a big rip off! Can anyone recommend me some good floor standing speakers for around 1000-1500chf? new or second hand...

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 34
Newbie, try out the PSB new Image T45 or the B&W 603 S3 - both should be around CHF 1300-1400. Both are very good matches with NAD.

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 35
Newbie, try out the PSB new Image T45 or the B&W 603 S3 - both should be around CHF 1300-1400 a pair. Both are good matches with NAD.

Username: Handjuice

Post Number: 5
Better yet, get the B&W DM 604 S3 with an NAD C272. You'll not regret it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us