Floor Standing Speakers to pair with Denon 3805 Receiver

Username: Sschen

Post Number: 1
Hi

I bought the Denon 3805 Receiver a month ago and has been auditioning for a pair of main floor standing speakers to go with it? I will appreciate some opinions from anyone willing to share their thoughts on the following speakers which I have listened to or any other speaker you recommend:
Krix Symphonix
Whatmough P31
Dynaudio Audience 72 & 82
Focal JMLab Chorus 726S & 826S
Monitor Audio Silver Series S6 & S8
Dali Suite 3.5
Dali Evidence 870 (have not listened to this but is considering)

I will be using the system at 50% HT and 50% Music.

At the moment, I tend to lean towards the Dali Suite 3.5 because it is a phase out model so there is a great special on it. It normally retails around Australian $3500 but is currently running out for $2000. Its specs looks quite good, with a frequency response of 33Hz to 25kHz, with rated power handling of 30-200W.

I also like the Focal JMLab 826S. I listen to a few vocal CDs on it and its high and mid end is outstanding although at times, it seems overly bright? Bass also seems to be not as good as the Dali speakers? Not that I am into heavy metal or rock.

The Focal JMLab 826S retails at $3999 in Australia, same as the Dynaudio 82 which also sounds very good to me. I can get both for around $2800. Both the Monitor Audio S6 and S8 also sounds good to me, with the S6 selling at less than $2K and the S8 less than $2.5K. My question is whether both Focal, Dynaudio and Monitor Audio speakers are worth the extra $500-$800 investment over the Dali Suite 3.5.

I am certainly no audiophile so I will appreciate any comments on the above speakers or any other speaker you recommend.

Many thanks.

Stephen

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 476
I would certainly look at Paradigm's and PSB's for your Denon. I am very familiar with the MA's as I own them and do not think they go well with Denon. Ditto the Dynaudio's which I really like. The warm and full soundstage of the Paradigm and PSB's match very well with the somewhat thin and detailed[IMO bright] Denon sound. The Paradigm Studio 60 would be a very good choice in particular. Wonderful speaker for a very reasonable price. Also check out the Studio 100. Very large and heavy but will really fill a room.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 344
The Dali Suites are very nice speakers. I have no experience on the 3.5, but the 1.7 and 2.8 are very good. JM Labs are too much on the brigth side for my likings. Dynaudio is great as always.

Username: Sschen

Post Number: 2
therealelitefan

I will love to hear the Paradigm Studio 100 as I have read great reviews on it on the internet. Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate a stockist in my area. I have however sent an email to the importer based in another state to see if I can arrange to listen to a pair of them.

Between the two Danish makes, Dynaudio and Dali, which one is more reputable. I know I can get the Dynaudio Audience 82 for $2900 in Australia and the Dali Suites 3.5 is $1999 on special. Is the Dynaudio Audience 82 worth that extra $1000 (approximately US$700).

Thanks for your input
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us