What if my amp and receiver have the same wattage?

Username: Clgood75

Dearborn, MI USA

Post Number: 1
In order for an amp to do it's job, does it need to have a higher wattage than the device that it's supposed to amplify?

The reason for my question is that I just bought a Nakamichi 730 receiver and Nakamichi PA-5 Stasis amp. They are both rated at 100W.

I am just getting into audio equipment so please forgive my ignorance. And thanks for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14594

You can't hook the receiver up to the amplifier - or vice versa. It's one or the other but not both.

Hope you saved your receipts.

Username: Clgood75

Dearborn, MI USA

Post Number: 2
I should have mentioned this but the receiver has pre-outs on it.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1157
Greetings,

When you use the pre-outs of the receiver into the amp, and this is the ONLY way to connect these two devices, you will be by passing the amplifier section of the receiver. The end result is likely to be the same if you do this as it would be if you used the receiver as a stand alone device. I would do some heavy duty comparisons and return the amp if I could.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14595

My opinion then would be to return the receiver. Buy a dedicated pre amp for the power amp.

The Nakamichi receivers were somewhat bogus about their design and implementation of the Stasis amplifier concept and the Stasis amplifier concept was the only thing that was really noteworthy about the Nakamichi receivers. In other words, the Nak receivers just weren't anything to write home about. There were far worse receivers on the market back in the mid '80's but the Naks were just about average when compared to the competition which at the time was top o' the line Yamaha, Denon and Luxman all of which were building less successful products than they had just a few years prior. Using the Nak receiver as a pre amp only, you would have done better with a stand alone pre amp doing the job IMO.

The Nakamichi Stasis amplifiers were not too bad, they lived up to the design goals Nelson Pass set forward for the Stasis concept and they did what a decent power amplifier should do. They were not standouts by any stretch - they did not sound like the similarly powered Threshold amplifiers using the Stasis designs - and they did not do much for Nakamichi's reputation but they were not absolute abominations either. Be careful with your speakers selection with the Stasis amplifiers and you'll have respectable results considering the age of the gear.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14705
How hard would a design like the Nak clip?
My guess is pretty sharp, amp or receiver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14598

Why do you want to drive an amplifier into clipping? Are you just mad at your tweeters?

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 97
hi its worth a shot connect the power amp into the preouts on the reciever then it would bypass the front 2 amp section on the reciever,,, therefore the reciever will be a pre ampfor frnt 2.
since it has its own power supply it may sound better then the reciever on its own its worth a shot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us