Help please to choose the right Stereo System

Stereo Fan
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,
I am a big fan of stereo sound. I would like to build a new system and I would certainly appreciate your assistance to make the right choice.
Which of the following combos will produce the better quality sound ?

1) Integrated Amplifier + Power Amplifier
2) Stereo Receiver + Power Amplifier
3) Pre-Amplifier + Power Amplifier

I have have my eyes set on the NAD S-100 + S-200 combo.....Any thoughts ?

Thank you very much !

Ed

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 333
Are you planning to bi-amp or why would you like an integrated/receiver to go with a power amp?

The S100+S200 seems like an excellent choice. Also a Rotel combo with RC-1090 and RB-1090 might be worth a try.

Stereo Fan
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much landroval,

Well, is it wise to do the Bi-Amp? Will it benefit the quality of the sound? Forgive me, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to hooking up equipment all I know is that I would like to sit down on my favorite chair and enjoy the music!

I will check on the Rotel option. As far as I know they build high quality components; in your opinion same or better than NAD?

Once again,

Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
No, I dont think you should bi-amp. Perhaps it would be wise if would want like a tube-amp for the highs and a normal transistor amp for the lows, but that's not the easiest way, and it might not even be that good.

Both those NADs and Rotels are so good that you dont have worry about wich is better. With those you'll need exeptionally good speakers to reach the limits. You should compare them yourself to see wich you like the most.

What kind of speakers are you going to use in your setup? Remember that they're the most important part. For a good system balance you should have speakers that costs around double the price of the amps. Something like B&W Nautilus 802 or Dynaudio Contour S5.4 or Confidence C2.

Stereo Fan
Unregistered guest
Actually I was looking into the B&M Nautilus but on your recommendation I checked some prices on Audiogon and they have the Dynaudio S5.4 on sale for 6K it will be approx 2K less than the Nautilus 802.
Thanks !

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
Listen them first, because the 802 migth be way better than the S5.4. Also it looks very nice while the Contour is nothing special.

Stereo Fan
Unregistered guest
landroval

ok,
I got to auditioned the B&W's just yesterday....one word.....Incredible !

Yes, they are pretty expensive, however, I had already set my budget for the whole system and I think I am going to go ahead and buy them...NAD's are already on their way.

I thank you greatly for your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
That's a great system, you'll probably find yourself listening to music _a lot_.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us