Arcam Avr280 as a DAC?

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 171
Hi I have AVR280 bi amping totem Arro's, squeezebox as source. I am thinking about an stereo amp for these Arro's, potentially MA6300. The question is - can I use AVR280 as a DAC? Keep squeezebox connected via optical to AVR280 and "tape out" analog from avr280 to MA6300 input? Arcams's DAC is much better than one from squeezebox so arcam would do processing and send analog input to mcintosh.
the reason for not buying separate DAC - $$, if I sell AVR280? not sure how much I will get for it, and right now I use old receiver connected as well to squeezebox and providing signal to outdoor speakers on backyard.
First have to hear significant difference between present set up and MA6300 driving Arro's.
So if this would work MA6300 would drive Arro's, AVR280 would be a source (DAC with input from squeezebox) and it would also be a receiver for a backyard and I would trash old junk that is driving backyard now. Does this make a sense?

Pablo

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3707
I'm pretty sure it'll work, Pablo. I think it makes sense as a temporary or transitional step. I'm pretty sure the AVR's DAC sounds good, but I think you can get far better sound from a dedicated DAC that costs what you can sell your AVR for. I don't know what the AVR 280's market value is, but if you can get $1k there are a lot of very good DACs for that price and perhaps less money.

I'd do some research on what the market value is for the AVR 280 and start looking at DACs in that price range. Arcam AVRs usually sell very easily. They're considered one of the best, if not the best AVRs for audiophiles.

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 172
Well first I have to be convinced that MA6300 will make big difrence, the one I can notice vs current set up.
I've looked at CAM there is one avr280 for $900. So in my case realisticly probably $800 for a quick sale. But if I keep it - I can get rid of old receiver for the backyard and AVR280 would play dual role. So for the value of AVR280 (Wolfson 24-bit 192khz) can I realy get a DAC that would kill the one in avr? Again would that be a difrence one can hear?
But the basic question of cause is can I afford the change at all? This is something I am working on now :-)

Pablo

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3709
Everyone's ears and budget are different. I wouldn't blindly invest in something as expensive as an MA6300 either. I'm pretty sure you'll hear a difference. If that difference is good, bad, or worth it is up to you. Same goes with the DAC situation.

The best advice is to hear a Mac integrated and some DACs, then decide. Nothing wrong with your current setup as far as I'm concerned. I'd take my time if I was you. Make sure you get it right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us