Looking for some Semi "Bright" bookshelf speakers

Username: Bleu_allen

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 7
I have been thinking of the new infinity beta 20's or maybe axiom's bookshelf. Any thoughts. I want a detailed extended treble and tight bass. My reciever is a slightly warm Harman Kardon two channel hk3480 120 watts per channel with 8 ohm impedance.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 631
well jbl and klipsch are definatly bright speakers.

i am running an hk reciever. and klipsch do very well
for me.

but i would go listen to anything someone suggests
and certainly when it comes to klipsch "their not
for everyone"

and from my personal experiance the cheaper lines
you generally find at best buy type stores don't
cut it for me.

generally when it comes to jbl and klipsch you
need to get close if not right at their reference
or top of line models.or their just not very good.

Unregistered guest
Perhaps we are confusing the term "bright" for "harsh"?
Your H/K reciever is not "warm" although it probably runs a tad hot. It simply has more current capability than many other recievers making it sound "fuller" by providing what the speaker is demanding: CURRENT. Lots and lots of harsh speakers out there.......you should have NO trouble finding a pair. Here's a hint: bring some old Janis Joplin records for evaluation. Don't buy any speaker system that makes Janis sound good, as these would NOT qualify as "harsh" or "bright" or "good" for that matter. My question is this: "Why are you looking for crappy speakers?"

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 649
there he goes again throwing his what he percieves
as superior knowlage around again.

and blasting someone for having a different oppinion from his.

anyway Bleu Allen many people on these boards will
tell you that h/k is warm and usually pair bright
speakers with them.
so if that is what you like than don't listen to
these guy's that try to tell you how it is.and
that no your wrong and do it this way or your
dumb and i'm smart.

as there are many types of music and speakers that
sound better to others but not all.not to mention
some speakers can do a better job on some music
than others do.

and you aren't less educated in how to listen to
music because you like something different than
someone else.

i believe that is why we have choices and preferences!

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 8
I guess the term "bright" is somewhat of a misnomer. What I am looking for are speakers that sound good with my Hk3480 stereo reciever and are not deficient in the upper frequency range I want a speaker that does a good job with the detail in that regard. I have a Harman Kardon receiver not a Yamaha. I am not into a harsh sound at all. That is why I am asking about the Infinity Beta series and the Axiom's.

BTW... I'm not sure any speaker would sound good with Janis Joplin.

Jimvm
Unregistered guest
Here's a couple you might try to audition:

1) Paradigm Reference Studio 20
2) JMLabs Chorus 707 S

Unregistered guest
Bleu Allen, The best case scenerio is to listen to speakers in your room on your H/K. I agree you should look into the Paradigm line. Decent build quality, decent x-over. Don't fall for the extra cost of the side panels though, they still sound the same. Axiom's appear to have some crossover problems, which would be very audable with old, harsh recordings. By the way, it's a good idea to bring some old, harsh recrdings in when auditioning speakers. They might tell you more about the speakers problems than reference recordings. You might also look into buying used speakers. Can get a much better value used. The older A/D/S line were great speakers(L710, L-620 etc), and you can pick them up used reasonably. Some of the B&W's might work for you. Parts Express makes some speaker kits that are pretty impressive for pretty cheap, if you can use a soldering gun. I'd stay away from 3 or 4 way designs. The less crossover points you have, the better. Theres no substitute for good drivers, good, quiet cabinet's and properly designed crossovers. In the end, if you look and listen long enough, you'll end up with that type of speaker system. P.S. There ARE speakers that make Janis Joplin sound good.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 695
very well written post maui.

not that you need to please me by anymeans.
but i liked the post none the less.

and i would second maui's recomendation on the
partsexpress kit's as have built some.

also have allways found b&w speakers very pleasing
to the ears.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 473
Bleu,
How much do you want to spend and do you have any size restrictions?

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 9
The room size is 11.5' x 14.5' with berber carpet. It doesn't need to shake the house. Also, the speakers will be on 30" metal stands. Just want real good detailed sound. Can spend about $300-400max. per pair.

thanx

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 474
Bleu,
Ckeck out the Monitor Audio Bronze B2. List is $399 and I've seen it at Downtown Audio's website for $299. Match's well with H/K. I recently bought the B1's for my kitchen and they sound great with my Elite receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us