Building a Home audio system

Username: Kappachampion

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been learning a lot from reading all the different threads. I have a project in my mind that I wanted to get input on:

I have 2 tower speakers I picked up several years back. I replaced the 12" sub in them with 4 Ohm JL audio speakers and they have been working just fine for the past couple of years. I now have time to start improving my home theater set up and wanted to get a little more base out of the subs. The mid and tweeter should probably be replaced as well.

So my idea is to either find plate amps to add to the current box or a new box OR find a true amp to power just the subs. My current set up is a high end yamaha receiver with 100W/ch and the towers in question are connected to the front channels. I assume I can run the digital sub line out to separate amp(s). Am I correct in assuming that the "sub out" in these consumer receivers is post EQ or XO. Or do I need that in the amp I choose.

I have also been trying to research amps for this situation and it seems like a cheap, effective brand is behringer.

I also considered building the subs into and empty space in my couch, underneath the corner section or a sectional couch. I know that this will muffle the sound, but you will feel more of the vibrations.

So I guess what I'm asking is for input on what amp situation you recommend - plate amps in box or separate amp? And if the couch idea sounds good?

Also, I have read on here about large amps being overkill. What is a good range of wattage for home theater and music situations? The 100W powering the towers now seems to be underpowered, but that is powering all 3 speakers in the tower, so would 100W for just the sub be enough?

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1097
I personally would never consider or recommend the speaker rebuild (buy a new set of five speakers and a true subwoofer) so I will leave that to someone else but your couch speaker idea has basically been handled by something MUCH more practical:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_theater/index.htm

If you get one of these thing please let me know how you like it!

BTW - 100 watts per channel should be plenty. If you were not very careful with the woofer swap I suspect they would be your most immediate point of concern. There are impedance issues and crossovers to consider that can make very large changes in the speaker sound quality.

Username: Kappachampion

Post Number: 2
I matched the woofer impedance to the previously install drivers and the box has a simple cross over circuit built in. I've never been too impressed by the speaker box sets with sub but if you have a recommendation, I'm all ears.

The buttkicker is a good idea, but the point of moving the subs was just to hide them, not necessarily just to vibrate the seats. I'm more curious if anyone else has done this or similar and if they were disappointed by the loss of volume from muffling.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1098
Wouldn't be so much the loss of volume that would concern most of us here. Sound quality would take a huge hit!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us