Tube Amps with Gallo 3.1's?

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 88
Just curious if anyone has used a Tube Amp with the Gallo 3.1's? I tried a Jolida 1000rc and it sounded nice. I'm looking to get the most out of my Gallo 3.1's and want to increase the power. I'm currently using a Sherbourn 5210a, which is rated at 5x200. I listen mostly to Rock music at loud volumes.

Would it be better to just stick with a Solid State amp like a Bryston 4bsst? Does anyone have any suggestions on some amps to try? Any thoughts or help on this would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14557

You want a tube amplifier with more than 200 watts?!!!

Why? Do you not want to hear in ten years time?

Do you know how much louder it will play if you could find a 400 watt tube amplifier? Not one bit.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14647
Darren, where ya been man?

Tubes with Gallo's...hmmm
I think Mike W is running tubes, but huge ones.

Bryan has run Cary tubes with the Gallo's, let's hear from him.

I am running Mac with the Gallo's, with a tube DAC, but SS power.

Stryvn is running flat out MAC 300wpc SS power.

What do you want to know?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14648
Ignore power ratings Darren.

If you want more power, but want a more rounded sound, try a Mac.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 836
Tube amp, yes. 200W tube amp.....no. A 20W tube amp with decent iron would drive the Gallo's to uncomfortable levels for most. 200w would be louder, but not better. If you only want louder, don't go the tube route.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Hey Nuck! Yes I've haven't been around for a while. I guess I should have worded my post differently. I'm just looking to get the most out of my Gallo's. They play loud enough but I think I could get more out of them with a better amp whether it be Tubes, SS or a Hybrid amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14651
There is a large glut of Bryston amps on the market on CAM lately.
If you got a 3b or so, run the kit balanced, you might find sonic bliss.

I am just kinda partial to Mac without going to tubes.

However, with the sub amp in play, you need not look at a tube amp with a reputtion for being so very strong in the bottom end, and focus on nice mids delivery.

Manley Stingray?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14558

Why do you think you want a tube amplifier?

How much money have you budgeted for this purchase? What will drive the power amp? Are you retaining the 5.1 status of the system or how is this to be configured? If 5.1 remains, how much emphasis will be given to music sound quality vs thermonuclear implosion "wow" factor?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2316
I have run my Gallo's with Carver M-4.0t amps, very loud is really all I got. Then I had a McIntosh MA-6200 on loan and enjoyed the sound enough to pursue and purchase a McIntosh MC-7300 to mate up with my tube pre-amp. Loud and the McIntosh sound which hits my sweet spot, but I played music with the meters as low as 0.3 watts and often at no more than 3 watts.

I have since moved to a pair of McIntosh MC-240 monoblocks which I had a very capable fellow restore to original for me. I am done. There is no need for more power or to foray around looking for a better sound. YMMV.

Not sure what your attention is to the center and rear surround speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 165
I have nothing but praise for the Gallo's with the Cary SLI 80.
Of course .. the Saturn source is not to shabby either.

It'd be interesting listening to them via the wide variety of Macs round these parts.

For my listening area and tastes, the 50 wpc in triode mode is more than sufficient.
Listening room starts out almost 10' wide x 22' overall length, I'm parked at the 38% distant sweet spot, or would be were I home.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Why do you think you want a tube amplifier?

How much money have you budgeted for this purchase? What will drive the power amp? Are you retaining the 5.1 status of the system or how is this to be configured? If 5.1 remains, how much emphasis will be given to music sound quality vs thermonuclear implosion "wow" factor?

Jan,
I don't think I need a Tube amplifier. I think I can drive my Gallo's with better amplification. I have a budget of $3000-$3500 for this purchase.
I will be using an Bryston SP2 processor and the source is a Bryston BCD-1 CD player. I will be using them in a 5.1 configuration as well. The Sherbourn will be used for the center and rears and the other amp would be for the fronts. I am mainly concerned with sound quality, especially for 2 channel listening.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2324
DMc, I am not familiar with Sherbourn but would think you would want something that manages the same sound characteristics for your fronts as you have for you center and rears.

How do you like the synergy with the Brsyton gear and the Sherbourn today if that is how you have it running?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3701
The Sherbourn Technologies website brings me to a blank website. Not a good sign.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us