Monitor Audio Silver SFX and SLCR

Bronze Member
Username: Vasia

Post Number: 21
Hi,
I am looking to finish my HT set up. I already have MA S8s and Marantz SR8300 and I was looking to get MA SFX and SLCR. Alternatively, I have read people getting Axiom speakers instead of MA due to very similar soundsignature. Looking at the specs for MA speakers, power handling of SFX is only listed as 100 Watts (RMS) and SLCR is 120 Watt (RMS). DOes it mean that my SR8300, which outputs 120 Watts per channel, can damage surrounds? Also, does it mean that they would play much less loud than Axiom QS8 with 400 Watt power handling?
Most importantly, I have heard very few reviews of these speakers, unlike rave reviews of S6/S8. Can somebody comment on how they compare to Axiom or other centers/surrounds?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I am strongly considering getting SLCR, but I am not sure at all about surrounds. Here are the specs of SFX:
Frequency Response +/- 3dB 60Hz - 30KHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M) 89dB
Nominal Impedance(Ohms) 8
Power Handling RMS(W) 100
Drive Unit complement 1 x 6" C-CAM Bass mid-range 2 x 25mm Gold Dome C-CAM tweeter
Bass Alignment Sealed Box
External Dimensions mm (inch) 285H x 290W x 130D
(11 1/4" x 11 1/2" x 5 1/8")
Weight 4Kg / 8 1/2lb
Finishes Black with Black Grill, White with White Grill

and here are the specs of QS8:
Max Amp Power 400 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
Freq Resp+/-3dB (Hz) 95-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/ -9dB (Hz) 65-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 95 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 91 dB
Impedance 6 Ohms
Woofer Dual 5.25"
Tweeter Dual 1"
Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 8.25x11x6
Weight 11lbs per

Pricewise, if I opted for SLCR, both packages will be about the same, but power handling by SFX is really concerning. Should I opt for Axiom instead?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 466
Stay with the MA's. The Silver center is a truely great center and consider using the Silver 1 for surrounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
therealelitefan,
Thanks for the reply. What is S1 benefit over SFX? Also, are they easy to wall mount?

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
I listen to concert dvd's more and more and find a direct radiating speaker best for music and fine for movies. The Silver 1 is a very small speaker and I would think could be easily mounted but I don't think it comes with any brackets or predrilled holes etc. I don't know what the SFX costs but the Silver 1 is $600 retail.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
It mentions wall mounting on MA web site. However, is it rear ported? THat probably not go well with wall mounting. Also, id there any concern regarding power handling (for S1 it is even less than SFX)?
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 468
The Silver 1 is rear ported so that would be a concern. Power handling is not a concern at all. If you are set on wall mounting the SFX would probably work better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Why is power handling not a concern? Even in case of DVD-Audio the output of surrounds is pretty small, is that the reason?

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
I say that power handling is not a concern with the Silver 1 because it is easily capable of handling loads of well over 100 watts at extended passages in movies and bursts of much more. Power handling is usually never a concern as far as a well designed speaker goes as long as the amp is not being over extended and clipping for long periods of time. I have had my Silver 1's hooked up in 2 channel mode and have driven them at very loud levels and they exibit no strain whatsoever.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
therealelitefan,
Thank you for the comments. I think I'll go with SFX surrounds, since wall mounting is definitely important for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 44
vasia,
i am at exactly the same point as you - just got s8's, plan to get slcr, and trying to decide on sfx vs s1. i cannot find a dealer who has sfx for auditioning. have you managed to compare sfx to s1? also i'd appreciate hearing how you make out w/whichever you choose.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Bigfan,
Its not really much of an issue for me, because I really need to mount them on the walls, which is probably not a good idea for S1s, which are rear-ported according to the realelitefan. I have auditioned SFX and they sounded fine, however, I did not have any DVD-As or SACDs available, just some movies. Also, the dealer did not have S1 to compare. I pretty much decided to go with SFX because they fit my needs and have the same tweeters/woofer as S8s, so I cannot go wrong, however, I am sorry I cannot be of more help comparing them to S1s.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 47
due to the bipolar/dipolar nature of the sfx, will they only work well on side walls? i would need to use them on the back wall (wall that the couch is against) and am not sure how they'd work there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I am not sure about sfx, but there is a thread on Axiom forum regarding putting QS8s on the rear wall, which may be interesting to you, since QS8s I think may be similar to sfx. Check:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs8.html

BarryH
Unregistered guest
I have the SFX and SLCR speakers to match S6 fronts. I am VERY happy with the center and surround speakers. I have the SFX's wall mounted on the rear wall and they sound great (although I have not compared them with the S1's). The SFX speakers are configurable depending on whether they are rear- or side-wall mounted.

NedB
Unregistered guest
I am also in the market for a Monitor Audio Silver based home theater. I believe MA offers two compatible surrounds for the S6 and S8 - the SFX surrounds Vasia mentioned and the FXi surrounds. Has anyone researched the FXi option?

just_plain_me
Unregistered guest
I see a few threads going in regard to Monitor Audio speakers. So, what kind of sound are they known for? Besides warm/neutral/bright, any other descriptions would be great as well, i.e., forward, 7th row, back row, etc. etc.

thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
just_plain_me:
I would say they are very detailed and that's something that is most striking about them. They are a little on the bright side with the wrong equipment, but with warm sounding receiver, like Marantz, they sound fantastic. S8s have very solid bass as well. I cannot comment on soundstage for the lack of good experience with that. Another feature of MAs is that they are very "exciting" speakers and make music sound dramatic, which some people complain may be fatiguing, but I find a great feature. Hopefully, somebody else can add to this brief description.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
I have had my Elite/Monitor system since last May and really love it. With the right receiver/amp the MA's are not bright but a bit forward and are warmer than I thought they would be. Very detailed and you can hear every instrument clearly. I absolutely love my Silver system, Silver 2 ,1 and center. Can't recommend them highly enough provided they are driven by the right receiever. Elite, H/K or Marantz.

just_plain_me
Unregistered guest
excellent. thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 39
I?m also planning on a MA silver based system.

Probably with a marantz SR5400 or SR5400 OSE.

My ideia was S2 fronts, SLCR center and B1 or S1 rears? S1 are expensive for rears...

What do you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
Great choice. The B1 will work fine for surrounds if you don't want to spend the extra for the S1. I have the B1 in my kitchen and they sound great. Go for it.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 43
I'm still thinking about S2 fronts and maybe S1 rears.

But... my AV furniture doesn't have the size to fit a Silver SLCR center...

I have 49.5cm no acomodate a 50cm speaker... :-(

Would the Bronze center be an option?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us