Speaker and odd room dimension

Tributary
Unregistered guest
I have a question for the forum. I recently acquired some gently used McIntosh separates and need to upgrade my speakers. The room that houses the stereo is a large open room that flows into the kitchen and dining room. I do not have true corners to put the speakers. There is a small hallway in both corners that the speakers will reside. However, the speaker will back up to a wall, but not a corner. That being said, I have seen speakers with the woofer facing forward and a port facing forward or downward. Other speakers have a side port. I would think that a side port would only be applicable for a corner application. What are your thoughts, and what type of speaker layout would best suite this room? BTW, the room dimensions are 20 feet by 22 feet (not including kitchen and dining room). Thanks for your input.

Tributary
Unregistered guest
Just to clarify, the speakers are not actually in the two hallways, just adjacent to the hallway entrances against a wall.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Since bass is omnidirectional at the port frequency it does not matter where the port is located. Most conventional speakers should work as well in this room as in a more conventional room. If the speakers are to be placed literally against the back wall (within a few inches) and not pulled out into the room at least a foot you will need to tell the salesperson your situation when you audition speakers. Against the wall placement will rule out some designs and will affect the overall balance of sound you will hear from most all speakers.

Tributary
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your responce. The speakers will be up against a wall, just not in the corner. I had originally gone to audition Magnepans, but when the salesperson heard about their placement, he steered me away. He suggested ProAcs which he said would sonically fill up the room better. My only problem is that I have read that ProAcs do better with lower power tube amps. The ProAcs had a downward facing port which got me thinking.

Tributary
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your responce. The speakers will be up against a wall, just not in the corner. I had originally gone to audition Magnepans, but when the salesperson heard about their placement, he steered me away. He suggested ProAcs which he said would sonically fill up the room better. My only problem is that I have read that ProAcs do better with lower power tube amps. The ProAcs had a downward facing port which got me thinking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us