RB300 rewire

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14629
Due to technical circumstances beyond my control (kinda), I find it necessary to rewire my tonearm.
I have had this Rega arm (2 yrs old) from new.

I have decided to rewire myself, and I am using this guide.

http://www.vinylengine.com/hotwiredrega.pdf

This should about cover it, maybe?

Installing the standard Incogneto wire kit with metal plug.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14553

You find it "necessary" to rewire the arm?

Lordygod, Nuck, what did you do?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14630
Well, I wanted to move the stand, so I was footpushing the thing.The lower joint of the previously a wall unit thing was opposed to the mass and seperated from it's side mate.
The speperation quickly migrated to the side panel, which supports the Mac on top of the Oppo D83SE.

It fell.

Fortunately, the damping material that I have under the shelves is very forgiving, the Oppo was unscathed, and since returned for credit.

The distace between arm plug and IA was beyond max, unfortunately, and thus quickly disconnected, unpowered.

So I got the arm wire and a new stand.
Seriously considering a wall mount for the VPI, when I see what the stand looks like.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2968
Was substance abuse involved in this foray, Nuck?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12224
Much luck with the rewire, Nuck. I understand that it can be a bear.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2315
Any thought to upgrading the wire down through the interconnect?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14554

There's really no problem rewiring an arm as simple as the Rega. If you've ever had a root canal performed by going through your @ss, you've got the right idea for how to proceed. First remove all the crap that's in your way ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14632
I would rather not imagine that catheter...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14555

Actually, rewiring a RB300 is pretty easy. Be in a better frame of mind that when you moved the previously a wall unit thang and take your time. Extracting the rubber plugs can be tedious as you do want to salvage them for re-use. Make certain all your ends are wrapped neatly and tightly and use your existing wires as your pull wires if at all possible.

I wouldn't try to do any other modifications to the arm at the same time. Get the wires in place and then listen. Don't get attracted to the idea of damping the anti-skate spring and don't mess with the bearings in any way.

Take your time and you should be fine. If you have any hesitation, send the arm off for someone else to do the job. You do not want to send in an arm you really screwed up for someone else to finish.

What shape is the HW19 in?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14634
Our HW is still as delivered to me, but with a few scratches on the dust cover.
When the new stand is in place, I will consider a wall shelf again, I was getting mechanicl hum when it plays on the endtable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14637
I get odd little bits of steel shot falling from it from the bass in the room, LOL!
But the thing plays very steady through it all!!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14556

Lead shot. I added them to the base for damping and further mass beneath the center of gravity of the plinth. You have to be careful when moving the table, you can easily knock them off as they are only secured with silicon adhesive. If you want, add another layer of silicon on top of the shot to make a more secure base. It never bothered me since I hadn't even thought of playing hockey with my turntable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14649
move back to Chicago if you wanna play hockey, darling. Or come to Vancouver.
In warmer climes, I may do just that JV, apply a layer. tyvm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us