Looking for advice--you place the speakers!

Unregistered guest
I just bought an old house, and I am looking to set up speakers and a TV in my house's living room. I have no clue how to deal with it! Here's a image of the room plan.

http://tinyurl.com/3b9cc

The grey lines represent square feet. The largest dimensions are 21.5 by 18 feet. One corner is "cut out" for the main entryway and closet, and kitty-corner from that is a fireplace. The bookcase is not movable; I'm open to moving anything else. I don't need the loveseat, but it is an option. My priority is first for listening to music, but secondarily for Dolby Digital through four speakers (I'll get a center channel someday...) I know that everyone's tastes are different, but I thought this might be fun for you!

1) How would you place the speakers, TV, couch, and chairs?
or
2) What would be best for good sound quality

The walls are ordinary drywall, the ceiling is coved where it meets the wall, and the floor is hardwood. I have a lot of rugs and end tables not pictured.

Thanks! Describe what you would do, or just edit the picture. Have fun with it! I look forward to your expertise.

I've also provided an image of my current setup here:

http://tinyurl.com/22q98

For now, I have placed the speakers 104" apart (outside edge to outside edge) on the west wall, placing the right channel six inches from part of the fireplace, and the left channel a foot or two from the window, each a foot from the west wall, oriented perpendicular. Thus I have my listening position 88" from the TV, which is centered between the speakers. It sounds pretty good from there. Any refinements anyone would suggest would be welcome.

This is a problem for the rear surround channels. Right now, I have them pointed at the listener, more to the listener's side than rear (see pitcure). Both rear channels have a corner almost touching the wall or bookcase. Is there a better way?

P-Sz

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us