Desktop speakers or external amp

Username: Srynznfyra

London, England United Kingdom

Post Number: 4
I've found what look like a great bargain set of desktop (shudder) speakers, which I want to get as my current system is old and has been pushed to the limit (one channel refuses to work any more). Here's the link on ebuyer.com for the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152392 (they're the xtune 5.1 speakers if the link doesn't work).

Now they have 5 star reviews and everything, and they look really good to me. Thing is, I've never used desktop speakers before so I'm not sure whether I should save some more cash so I can instead upgrade my amp to one that works properly.

What I'm planning on using it for is basically just music and video games, it's gonna be hooked up to my PC. Bear in mind that I like lots of loud bass.

The subwoofer has an RMS output of 40 watts, this leaves 85 watts for all the other 'satellite' speakers so I presume they're 17 watts each, unless the center channel is more powerful than the others.

My current system is actually a stereo system with no subwoofer - the fact that the speakers I'm looking at require a subwoofer to output good bass kind of tells me that the satellites must be really weak, but 17 watts isn't that little for just one channel...I'm a bit confused really.

So I guess the main question is, do you think I'll get good sound quality, as in as good as a bog standard amp and speakers (not particularly good, just mid range), with these desktop speakers?

cheers

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3640
They'll sound ok...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us