SPEAKER PROBLEM? I NEED HELP!

Username: Gopedhead

Post Number: 5
Ok guy, i'm not sure how many of u know, but i got these big speakers, they're like rated at 150 watts each, they're about 25 years old so it's like a foot wide, a foot in depth and 2.5 feet tall. i originally had them hooked up to a record player and they sound great, but when i put the cd in or play an MP3 throught the computer, they sound very bad. like when i have it hooked up to the computer, it somehow sounds really bad, i knwo it'snot interference, but a settign on the computer, is there a way i can just let it run straight from the cd? i dont want anything like winamp where it gives it a boost and all that stuff. i just want it to read it and just let it play,

I also have an amplifier hooked up to the computer, is that how i should do it? from teh computer to the amplifer and from the amplifer to the speakers, let me know, becacuse with my turnbtable setup, it goes : turntable to the amplifier, amplifier to the speakers.

thanks a lot!

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 564
yah that's hooked up correctly.

most computers sound cards just don't sound that
good for audio.
you don't really notice on your computer but when
you hook it up to your stereo you all the computer
noise and distortion.

you could try a better sound card or you just need
to get a cd player and reciever/amp setup.

i've never found the computers to quite cut the
mustard for good audio!

Post Number: 6
oh man, that stinks so much. i was thinking about a cd player deck but is there a way to transfer my mp3's straight to the speaekrs? i dont want to keep making cds.

also, why do they sound so nice on computer speakers? however, when i put the same song on mp3 compared to the record, i hear a big difference.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 567
yah mp3's don't usually sound to bad to start with
it's just when you try and come from the computers
sound card.

you could get an ipod or any one of those digital mp3
jobbies that has a line out to plug into your stereo
that usually sounds ok.

Post Number: 7
no, i have found out the proble, well id idn't, do you have aim? if so, please hit me up at radiocontrolhead

also, i noticed that when i set teh preamp and the volume very low (on wimamp) and use the outside amplifier,it sounds much much better. so i think it has a problem with dealing with two amplifiers and it gets all messed up. i have a cd player, but that doesn't work out either, it creates the same sound, only way to play it is if i set the cd player to a very low volume and take over with the amplifier. so i think it has something to do with the winamp thingy.

Post Number: 8
no, i have found out the proble, well id idn't, do you have aim? if so, please hit me up at radiocontrolhead

also, i noticed that when i set teh preamp and the volume very low (on wimamp) and use the outside amplifier,it sounds much much better. so i think it has a problem with dealing with two amplifiers and it gets all messed up. i have a cd player, but that doesn't work out either, it creates the same sound, only way to play it is if i set the cd player to a very low volume and take over with the amplifier. so i think it has something to do with the winamp thingy.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 570
ok daniel i'm glad you got an acceptable sound.

my fault i had assumed you played with the volume
coming from the computer.

but what it sounds like your describing is the
input signal you are sending to the amp is to high.

and the amp can't take a real high input signal
it will be all distorted.

so you need to turn it down to where the amp has
the volume/output it would normally have from
other non amplified sources.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 571
also you should have 2 outputs from the sound card.

1 that would go to speakers where the volume goes up and down with the volume.

and a line out that is a constant low level signal.
you should be using the line out.

Post Number: 9
it's a basic computer sound card, usually they are marked a speaker symjbol or a microfone symbol, i dont know which one is my line out is. i have 4 slots to put the plug in, so i'm assuming it goes into the speaekr one,which is where i already have it in.

Post Number: 10
oh i think i just found my problem! and i think you helped me kegger! thanks a lot!!

look at this website i found describing the same exact problem i'm getting!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=www.vbinsider.com/images/soundcard1.jpg&i mgrefurl=http://www.vbinsider.com/mp3part1.htm&h=299&w=223&sz=42&tbnid=AtUiEw47Q ZIJ:&tbnh=109&tbnw=82&start=14&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsoundcard%2Bline%2Bout%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

once again, thanks kegger! well i haven't tried it yet, but i will right now!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 572
it sounds like you have a 4 channel sound card.
or a line in and a line out.

2 front speakers.
2 back speakers. or line in.
line out
microphone.

each one of those has a conection.

you nned to find out which one is your line out.

you know what 2 of them are
speaker out: that you have been using.
microphone out: you say it's labled.

so it's one of the other 2.

so you need to figure out which one it is.

the one that is line out will give you sound from
your sound card but won't go up and down with the
volume of the computer.when you plug it into the
amp.

turn all your volumes to about 1/4 be careful and
try them if you can't figure which is which.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i have, and i have no sound, i have tunred up my winamp and my speakers are connected, my amp is set to at least a quarter, no out in volume, do u think i'm in teh wrong jack?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i have tried the other 2 jacks and there is no volume, i can hear however that the mute volume sound is much lower than it was wen i had it in the speaker jack, like it has teh same mute sound as when i have it hooked up to my turntable, so i know i' mgetting somwehre, but it's not making sound from my mp3's when i'm using winamp.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 573
i'm not sure at this point.

you may just have to go back to the speaker output
and set the correct level from your computer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i acctually found another black output on my sound card, it has 5 plugs, and this time it's marked as a black one, and it definately shows it as line out, i put it in and it still doesnt' work, it gives me this weird noise, i can only hear it when i turn the amp up at a high level

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 574
i'm lost at this point without being their to
work on it.

you may just have to go back to the speaker output
and set the correct level from your computer.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 575
one last thing to try then i give up!

you should have a little black round thing on
the bottom right corner of your computer screen.

for the sound settings/volume.

if you double click that. it brings up your sound
settings. see if you find a slider marked line out.

if you do see if it's muted and or turned up about
3/4 of the way.

it's possable your line out is shutoff or down
very low.

you may need to look through all your sound settings
and see if you can find anything for line out.

after that like i said i would need to see it.
sorry but that's all i got.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
darn, i thought i almost had it, becasue i do have 5 inputs, but i dont know if this will help but i found that 2 of the outputs are line out. well it shows a sign like this: ((-))--> which should say it's line out. and there are two plugs that have this symbol. could this be why it's not working? is there something i must do on my computer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
look what i found on the internet, i think i need somethign like this, there is a line out on this mixer, i dont have one on mine. what can i do!! i'm so stumped , i really want to listen to these speakers throught the computer.

http://www.hardwareportal.ru/Multimedia/Sblive.value/Mixer.gif

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i just got off the phone with creative, which is the brand of my sound card and they said that their sound cards are not amplified? is tha tpossible? they also said their speaker out is their line out. but why does it still sound so ugly? anyone know?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
OK i finally got new drivers, i downloaded them off the site, and now, they work! but.. they are very very bad, like they sound very staticy, they sound like tey're dyign or something, so now the speaker out sounds better, what do i do? why can't this just work. lol. any othe rinput?

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle___berg

Post Number: 14
Input?......GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
no i wont, because guess what! i got it to work!!!!!!! it was all settings, i had the wrong buttons pushed in and what not, now my speakers are sounding better than anythign in teh world!!!!!!! haha.. well maybe not everything. but yea. they sound great. thanks for everyone who have helped me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us