Decisions, decisions..................

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 12
I have decided to get a new receiver upstairs to replace the aging Sony, that I was never really happy with.

I was looking at the Harmon Kardon DPR1001 and the Yamaha HTR-5760 /or RX650. I have listened to all three and liked them all. They are both comfortably within my price range.

The HK is a 7.1 receiver and lists 50 wpc through all 7 channels and in the listening room was adequately loud in movies or music. It is also an all digital amp.

The Yamaha also has 7.1 and lists at 95 wpc.

They both have lots of surround settings, etc. I liked the HK Logic 7.

I really like, in theory (since I haven't tried it yet) the Yamaha YPAO. The HK has EZ-set, which appears similar but not as intensive. I have narrowed it down to these two (for now) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these receivers or brands since I have never owned HK of Yamaha.

If you want to see the receivers, here are some links:
Yamaha HTR-5760
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR-5760.htm

Yamaha RXV650
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V650.htm

HK DPR1001
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8021&qp=0312836253122& oid=70852&m=0

Thanks for any help/advise you can give!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 974
Seems like you are leaning towards the HK.. i would do the same thing. YPAO is more of a convenience and is really not a selling point for m, plus I lean towards the HK myself so I'm a little biased. The surround settings are also nice but when it comes down to it, you will only use one at atime and once you favor that setting, you hardly change it.

cheers

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 565
Shan Tao while i own an hk525 and realy enjoy it.
i'm not sold on the all digital amps just yet.

i've heard a couple and thought they didn't compare
to their traditional counterpart.

then again that is just my oppinion.

i really like the hk's

iv'e had a couple of the more recent yamaha units.
"good price" and feel their not upto par with an
h/k/marantz or pioneer elite.or even nad.

Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
I have an Hk avr125. It is a very basic staight forward amp. I liked it better than some of the more expensive yamaha recievers i went to look at at that time. However one problem with the HK is that if you like to watch movies in a darkened room i find the display of the amp a little distracting. Might just be me. I doubt you will find a better quality sound though.

I'm in an Apt so for the time being the 125 is more than enough to disturb the neighbours. I definatlty wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Dpr!

Btw have you looked at the Denon line up in this price range, and if so what did you think.

Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Shan Toa! Alvin here! I have owned both yamaha, and H/k gear in the past! You really can't go wrong with either one. Though the H/K you are considering is sporting the new digital amp technology! I have actually listened to the H/K DPR1001 and was impressed! In the end though, its your ears, your system, your money!
AJ

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 14
Thanks for all the replies;

I will take a look at denon, there is a tweeter near my friend's house and they carry them there.

Kegger, I share your feelings regarding the digital amp. Supposedly, according to the sales person and the literature, it is *supposed* to run cooler since it is all digital. It was displayed completely open on all sides and it was by far the hottest feeling - to the touch - of the different HK receivers in the display. While temperature is no indication of sound quality, nor power, I am unsure as to whether this technology is quite "there" yet. Being a long time Yes fan, I brought some Yes CD's to play. "Close to the Edge" sounded harsh (if that is the right word) on the DPR1001. That was a bit of a turn off, and the heat concerns me re: longevity and so maybe I scratch that one off the list. On the other hand, I liked the HK330, it sounded impressive with the Yes, and good/powerful with movies. I am definitely considering this one.

A number of people have recommended the yamaha. Supposedly the Yamaha's are built rock solid. I thought it sounded a bit bright with music, but really good with movies. I brought a copy of "Ghost in the Shell" (an anime) and ran the scene where the main character goes down the river in a boat. The yamaha sounded expansive and the surround was excellent.

Lol, this will probably be like all decisions audio I have made lately, keep mulling it over until I decide. (laughs) think I will take a peek at those denon receivers in the mean time.

Thanks! Take care
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us